Thais' lack of ability at foreign languages holding back tourism, says top minister

snoop1130

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/5/2017 at 5:32 PM, NanLaew said:

Reminds me of a story my mate related from when he was a teacher in Thailand several years ago. The head teacher had studied and got her Master's in Melbourne and had lived there for the best part of 2 or 3 years. When presented with a map of the world while exploring some other teaching subject with fellow teachers, she apparently couldn't find Australia and struggled to locate Thailand.

I know that the gene that affords us spatial awareness is a bit lacking in most Asian countries and try and make that point if someone is having a Thai-bash based on their lamentable shortcomings but the term 'waste of space' came to mind when I heard this story.

If you don't use a world map on a regular basis (just like anything else) you become unfamiliar with its features.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:18 PM, finnomick said:

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Weren't we informed recently by an exceedingly high ranking government official that Thai would be the ' global language ' within the next ten years or so. Dream on.

Yea and I believe govt. babble as much as I do The Liar. 

I DON'T BELIEVE IT :cheesy:x a million.

In a large department store catering to TOURISTS in Chiang Mai, I couldn't find a service person that spoke English.

Even in Pattaya, it can be hard to find staff that speak good English outside hotels.

While I don't expect people outside tourist areas to speak English well, or at all, in areas that deal with lots of tourists one would expect at least basic English skills.

I know they are supposed to learn English in school, but obviously that doesn't happen well, or at all, but when I tried to teach my English speaking Thai wife to read English so she could get a better paying job she just couldn't be bothered. Could that be why only ones working everyday with tourists speak good English?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a large department store catering to TOURISTS in Chiang Mai, I couldn't find a service person that spoke English.

Even in Pattaya, it can be hard to find staff that speak good English outside hotels.

While I don't expect people outside tourist areas to speak English well, or at all, in areas that deal with lots of tourists one would expect at least basic English skills.

I know they are supposed to learn English in school, but obviously that doesn't happen well, or at all, but when I tried to teach my English speaking Thai wife to read English so she could get a better paying job she just couldn't be bothered. Could that be why only ones working everyday with tourists speak good English?

Totally agree.   I'm not expecting them to be able to carry on a conversation on the causes of World War II but when I am eating at a restaurant, especially one that has a lot of western customers, the wait staff should know basic English words like 'fork', 'spoon', 'salt', 'pepper', 'knife', 'sugar' 'water', 'ice', and so on.  Way too often I get a clueless blank stare. 

On 11/5/2017 at 3:09 AM, starky said:

I think you will find that he was alluding to the fact that proficiency in English is mandatory in shipping, aviation, science, engineering, computing, medicine and law. Got nothing to do with the number of speakers sorry mate.

I've gone to many web sites owned by Thai department stores. Most have no way of dealing with English speaking customers. Home Pro is a/b the only one I can navigate through. Other's like Thai Wat Su Do, Global Home, Home Hub etc. are impossible for me.

If Thai business want to sell more maybe make purchasing easy for English speakers living in Thailand. They/we spend money. When unnecessary barriers are evident many are discouraged and decided not to shop/buy. 

Using English in Thailand has many financial benefits for Thais and Thai businesses.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Totally agree.   I'm not expecting them to be able to carry on a conversation on the causes of World War II but when I am eating at a restaurant, especially one that has a lot of western customers, the wait staff should know basic English words like 'fork', 'spoon', 'salt', 'pepper', 'knife', 'sugar' 'water', 'ice', and so on.  Way too often I get a clueless blank stare. 

Be gentle with them and use: Knai, Poon, Foor....the last part, or syllable isn't important in Thailand. 

Well done...me the same...it is so restrictive towards openness here...so very difficult to communicate..and I can as go far as making my appointment in the Hospital in Thai...but oh my god...such an effort with these lovely folks..I try to hard especially the very young ones...they are really not interested at all...sad really......I try at the market...no one is interested..only fruit and veg guy...learning the veg and fruits...

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Found the same here, been asked a number of times by school teachers who don't understand the restrictions the government has placed upon us.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Be gentle with them and use: Knai, Poon, Foor....the last part, or syllable isn't important in Thailand. 

I always pretend I can't understand their English, no matter how good.

(Sometimes I get my wife to repeat the same English words they said back to me)

Payback's a bitch.

On 04/11/2017 at 7:38 PM, DrTuner said:

Because you forgot "tem tank". They are like the Leather Goddeses of Phobos game from the 80's, unless you get the complete phrase right they can't compute.

I was out of diesel last week and a parking attendent offered to go and buy me a few litres. I underlined the word diesel 3 times. He came back with four litres and emptied the can into my tank. F$#%$#@..ing gasohol!!! I discovered soon after. There is no hope for this country!

2 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

I was out of diesel last week and a parking attendent offered to go and buy me a few litres. I underlined the word diesel 3 times. He came back with four litres and emptied the can into my tank. F$#%$#@..ing gasohol!!! I discovered soon after. There is no hope for this country!

At least you won't have to drain the tank, fill it up with Diesel and it will burn OK with no damage.

44 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

At least you won't have to drain the tank, fill it up with Diesel and it will burn OK with no damage.

That's what I did after phoning BMW dealer in London and also in Oslo Norway. My main dealer here in Bangkok wanted to pick up my car in a truck and work on it for 8 days!!!! 5555! Up yours I told'em

On 11/8/2017 at 11:45 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

There was a news story a few years ago, where a Singaporean tourist, on travel in Bangkok, complained that in a prestigious department store she could not find any staff able to communicate in English.

The newspaper (The Nation or Bangkok Post) followed up by interviewing the sales staff at that department store, with the question, "why they couldn't speak/wouldn't want to learn English to communicate with foreign customers". The baffling answer (in Thai) was: "No need.:passifier:

It's more than a language problem.  At 25, and even 30, many Thais are no more competent than a western school leaver.

Even something simple as a one dish order with drink frequently goes wrong.  Even if the meal is delivererd in timely fashion, it can be a devil of a job getting hold of the salt, and ketchup.  Often, I have simply got up and fetched it myself.

On 08/11/2017 at 3:52 PM, selftaopath said:

I've gone to many web sites owned by Thai department stores. Most have no way of dealing with English speaking customers. Home Pro is a/b the only one I can navigate through. Other's like Thai Wat Su Do, Global Home, Home Hub etc. are impossible for me.

If Thai business want to sell more maybe make purchasing easy for English speakers living in Thailand. They/we spend money. When unnecessary barriers are evident many are discouraged and decided not to shop/buy. 

Using English in Thailand has many financial benefits for Thais and Thai businesses.

Try Lazada Thailand where you can select English.

Archived