Almost 100 sky lanterns grounded at Chiang Mai Airport

rooster59

23131567_891547964333825_8926509435657137761_n.jpg

Despite pleas by officials not to float sky lanterns in the vicinity of the airport’s runway ground, Chiang Mai airport officials said they have collected at least 80 sky lanterns that faded and fell to earth within the airport’s controlled areas.

The airport said the sky lanterns debris were collected over the past two nights and the number was higher than those collected last year.

The airport has earlier advised people to release sky lanterns only from 7 pm – 1 am of Nov 3 and 4.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/almost-100-sky-lanterns-grounded-chiang-mai-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-04

52 minutes ago, robertthesculptor said:

Big deal.... here in DetUdom the balloons were outlawed...the deliberate graying of the beautiful Thai tradition. 

This is truly wrong. It is like the lovely wayes and traditions are being deliberately destroyed to make way for a style of governance like say North Korea. Not into an enlightened future

Agree. Who cares about some airplanes crashing and a few hundred people dying? As long as thais can release their fire-hazard balloons for some good luck.

1 hour ago, robertthesculptor said:

Big deal.... here in DetUdom the balloons were outlawed...the deliberate graying of the beautiful Thai tradition. 

This is truly wrong. It is like the lovely wayes and traditions are being deliberately destroyed to make way for a style of governance like say North Korea. Not into an enlightened future

That is rather far fetched .

35 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Agree. Who cares about some airplanes crashing and a few hundred people dying? As long as thais can release their fire-hazard balloons for some good luck.

In the history of Thailand, how many airplanes have crashed and how many fires started by lanterns?

14 minutes ago, heybruce said:

In the history of Thailand, how many airplanes have crashed and how many fires started by lanterns?

No airplane has ever crashed here because of the operation near the end of the runway of drones, model airplanes, hot-air balloons, or whatever,  so, based on your theory, there should be no reason to regulate such activities (or at least not until after an incident occurs)?  

Last year it was cancelled maybe that had something to do with the lower figures .

And about 5 or 6 years ago I remember landing in Chiang Mai pre airport closure with hundreds of the fiery things flying past the window  probably why they now shut early to avoid the catastrophic damage it could do to aircraft . 

25 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Last year it was cancelled maybe that had something to do with the lower figures .

And about 5 or 6 years ago I remember landing in Chiang Mai pre airport closure with hundreds of the fiery things flying past the window  probably why they now shut early to avoid the catastrophic damage it could do to aircraft . 

Likewise 5 years ago or so I saw one go right past the wing shortly before landing. It was maybe 50 or 100m away from the wingtip.

39 minutes ago, CMBob said:

No airplane has ever crashed here because of the operation near the end of the runway of drones, model airplanes, hot-air balloons, or whatever,  so, based on your theory, there should be no reason to regulate such activities (or at least not until after an incident occurs)?  

Drones are a new technology with the clear potential to harm aircraft.  Obviously they need to be regulated.

Model airplanes have limited range and are not allowed to be operated near airports.  Common sense has kept hot air balloons and aircraft from causing problems for each other.

Lanterns are flimsy devices of paper, bamboo, wax and a small amount of wire.  They will do less damage to an aircraft than a strike with an unregulated medium size bird. They have been launched in their thousands since long before aviation came to Thailand and never caused a problem for aircraft.

If you are desperate to find something to be paranoid about you should look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, robertthesculptor said:

Not into an enlightened future

The balloons came down because they weren’t enlightened enough... 

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And... then grounded them for having faulty landing systems.

no problems with the good ones.... airport traffic control sussefully averted thousands of near collisions ???

14 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Lanterns are flimsy devices of paper, bamboo, wax and a small amount of wire. 

And fire... don’t forget the fire bit

funnily enough, I’ve come into Phuket a couple of times during the balloon storms, and it is an awesome sight... absolutely amazing

on these occassions, I steadfastly refuse to enlighten other passengers to the fact that they are a floating firestorm. Instead i smile... tighten my seatbelt... and rub my amulet ?

17 minutes ago, heybruce said:

If you are desperate to find something to be paranoid about you should look elsewhere.

Maybe you should offer your insights and wisdom to the Thai Aviation Authorities so you can single handedly adjust all regulations and procedures concerning aircrafts.

I am sure your long list of experience in the aircraft industry, aviation accidents research reports, and flight records will impress them.

Please let me know when they hire you because that will be the day i pick the bus over the airplane to get to Bangkok or further north.

25 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Maybe you should offer your insights and wisdom to the Thai Aviation Authorities so you can single handedly adjust all regulations and procedures concerning aircrafts.

I am sure your long list of experience in the aircraft industry, aviation accidents research reports, and flight records will impress them.

Please let me know when they hire you because that will be the day i pick the bus over the airplane to get to Bangkok or further north.

I retired from the aerospace industry many years ago, but commercial aviation does rely on some of my work on GPS.

Enjoy your bus rides.  And remember ships use GPS also, so nothing but slow land travel for you.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Yes, on a recent flight I took along one of those hotpot coal stoves in my hand luggage .

As I got a bit hungry during the flight , I lit the stove to have a bar-b-que .

The Stewardess came to told me to put the fire out because its dangerous

I did ask her how many planes have crashed from people having Bar-b-ques mid flight

She said that none have , so, I refused to extinguish my bar-b-que

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, on a recent flight I took along one of those hotpot coal stoves in my hand luggage .

As I got a bit hungry during the flight , I lit the stove to have a bar-b-que .

The Stewardess came to told me to put the fire out because its dangerous

I did ask her how many planes have crashed from people having Bar-b-ques mid flight

She said that none have , so, I refused to extinguish my bar-b-que

Are you equating a first time act of obvious idiocy with a cultural tradition that has safely co-existed with aviation for decades?

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Are you equating a first time act of obvious idiocy with a cultural tradition that has safely co-existed with aviation for decades?

No. my point was that just because something has never happened previously, that doesnt mean that it will not happen in the future

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No. my point was that just because something has never happened previously, that doesnt mean that it will not happen in the future

Birds, terrorists and mentally unstable pilots have proven themselves to be a threat to aviation.  The long history with lanterns has not led to any problems.  Attention should be focused on proven threats, not speculation on risks that have no factual basis.

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Birds, terrorists and mentally unstable pilots have proven themselves to be a threat to aviation.  The long history with lanterns has not led to any problems.  Attention should be focused on proven threats, not speculation on risks that have no factual basis.

There have been steps to stop terrorists and to stop mentally unstable pilots and theres nothing that we can do about females flying on aeroplans without being called a sexist

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There have been steps to stop terrorists and to stop mentally unstable pilots and theres nothing that we can do about females flying on aeroplans without being called a sexist

Do you think security procedures at CNX are adequate?  I don't.  I welcome a plane change in an airport with adequate security.  For those who wish to focus on potential tragedies, I suggest focusing on that. 

Just now, heybruce said:

Do you think security procedures at CNX are adequate?  I don't.  I welcome a plane change in an airport with adequate security.  For those who wish to focus on potential tragedies, I suggest focusing on that. 

I do think that ALL aspects of the safety of aeroplanes should be looked into .

Walk up to an aircraft sitting on tarmac, engines running.  Light one of these big lanterns, hold it in front of the engine intake and allow it to be ingested.  Take notes and report back once you are done with jail and court proceedings. 

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Walk up to an aircraft sitting on tarmac, engines running.  Light one of these big lanterns, hold it in front of the engine intake and allow it to be ingested.  Take notes and report back once you are done with jail and court proceedings. 

Walk up to an aircraft sitting on the  tarmac, engines running.  Bring an adult seagull and allow it to be ingested in the engine intake.  Take notes and report back once you are done with jail and court proceedings. 

There are many more seagulls than lanterns in Thailand, and they are flying around all year long.  Does the risk of seagulls cause you to avoid flying anywhere near a beach?

2 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Walk up to an aircraft sitting on the  tarmac, engines running.  Bring an adult seagull and allow it to be ingested in the engine intake.  Take notes and report back once you are done with jail and court proceedings. 

There are many more seagulls than lanterns in Thailand, and they are flying around all year long.  Does the risk of seagulls cause you to avoid flying anywhere near a beach?

Archived