Foreign visitors can now file for compensation if they are scammed in Thailand

rooster59

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Obviously no limit on wives as they wouldn't be registered tour operators (I hope).

Can I use the same complaint form for multiple wives or must we file a separate form for each scam?  ( I hope you all know this is tongue in cheek) 

15 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

I like that! Gmail account? What does that have to do with anything Mr Super Member as far as topic? :-)

how many reputable, professional organisations and businesses do you know that use generic gmail/hotmail etc accounts? such bodies should be using bespoke email addresses on their own secure servers. a government department using  gmail account is a joke. a business using such an account should be avoided.

Why not start by removing the state approved scams, like 5-20 times overpricing for "white" people when entering national parks, museums,  amusement parks and the like? Making a way to get refund for scams is a reactive (and probably useless) move, but removing the outright racism happening to all tourists when entering a park or similar would also be better for how tourists see this LOS (Land of scams). Tourist may be used to scams but Racism is a total turn-off for most visitors and they will never return for these reasons

9 hours ago, lordblackader said:

This could become the busiest government office in Thailand if tourists find out about it.

Considering most scams are committed by that little man who follows you around at the airport or waits outside your hotel, this ain't going no where. Another load of hot air as, complain to the police and then wait for a charge to be laid against you as a Farang tourist or expat have no rights here.

Which leads to the comment

Why the hell bother to travel so far to come here only to get treated so bad. Please guys do not say leg-over.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Hey, the government is trying to help people who have been scammed ! Give them a break !!

Nonsense.   Give ME a break !!  Did you even read what this is all about?   Past the title even?  Almost nothing.  'Not even a drop in the ocean.

3 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Nonsense.   Give ME a break !!  Did you even read what this is all about?   Past the title even?  Almost nothing.  'Not even a drop in the ocean.

For those who made comments on defective merchandise and VAT refunds.  I bought a thermos flask and discovered the stopper was defective.  Went to the store the next day and was given a new stopper.  Bought a laptop at The Mall and was asked if I needed documentation for a VAT refund.  Upon departing no problem getting the refund.  Sometimes attitude is very important how one is treated. 

Hawker, I agree about TAT's good intentions, except they need to learn  how to implement this program to make it work.

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

For those who made comments on defective merchandise and VAT refunds.  I bought a thermos flask and discovered the stopper was defective.  Went to the store the next day and was given a new stopper.  Bought a laptop at The Mall and was asked if I needed documentation for a VAT refund.  Upon departing no problem getting the refund.  Sometimes attitude is very important how one is treated. 

Hawker, I agree about TAT's good intentions, except they need to learn  how to implement this program to make it work.

READ the article.  This is not about ANYTHING other than tour group scams.  Nothing else.  Not defective or counterfeit merchandise.  Not about false advertising.  Not about shop ripoffs.  Not about scheming tuk-tuk or taxi drivers.  Not about any of the 1001 scams a tourist might encounter except....  'Tour companies, and only applies to "registered" tour companies (who have to pay fees to BE registered...) at that!

Just another 'look at us improving things' that on close examination will help few but maybe put money in some grubby pockets. The underlying concept is good, along the lines of ABTA I guess.  It is only aimed at tourist companies that are registered with them.... they should at least be licensed anyhow, but are often set up on a casual basis, offering flight and hotel bookings, wills, translation services, visa services and post boxes, haircuts etc etc. I wonder if the recent headlines of Thais being left at the airport with no booking to Japan to be found has prompted this. 

5 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

READ the article.  This is not about ANYTHING other than tour group scams.  Nothing else.  Not defective or counterfeit merchandise.  Not about false advertising.  Not about shop ripoffs.  Not about scheming tuk-tuk or taxi drivers.  Not about any of the 1001 scams a tourist might encounter except....  'Tour companies, and only applies to "registered" tour companies (who have to pay fees to BE registered...) at that!

My apology.  I meant to agree with phantom finders post.  I know what the article refers to.  Several posters alluded to VAT refunds and defective product disputes as examples of what to expect in Thailand when dissatisfied with a service or product.  Meaning they don't expect any better from TAT. In other words TIT!

Archived