British man, 44, found living rough in Cambodia for TWO YEARS after robbery leaves him completely stranded

geovalin

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/6/2017 at 9:23 AM, phantomfiddler said:

I have met a few similar cases over the years here  in Pattaya, and sadly the normal chain of events is that, when money is collected for repatriation, it is very quickly spent, by the "victim", on booze and "loose living" :( 

very true , what happened to the return ticket he had when he arrived ?? was it cashed in for more whiskey as we know the scottish like their whiskey , what also happened to the reserve funds for an airline ticket in the case of spending the rest of his money on booze and loose women ??? i always have enough money kept in reserve just in case !!!!   if somebody is robbed of their passport , they go down to the british embassy ( and its a good job the scottish voted to stay in the uk or he would not have an embassy cause i cannot see the scottish poaying for an embassy in cambodia or many other countries)  so when being robbed of a passport people go down to the british embassy who are helpful in this regard and they pay for another one its probably no more than 5,000 baht but hold on did i not see this guy asking for money a year ago to buy a passport and then spending his money on liquor in the nightclub some of these guys do this for a living over here .   i remember a canadian guy asking me said he needed money  to get to the canadian embassy and when i spoke to him i was at asoke i said why do you need money to get to the canadian embassy ,  he said he did not have money and needed to phone home for it , i said you dont need any money to phone home the embassy will give you 1 free phone call to call a relative , and the canadian embassy is within walking distance at silom , he still insisted on me giving him money , i quickly told him to go as i knew he was just doing this for a living , i also know a guy who lived here in thailand for 5 years begging for money , these people make me sick they wont go out there and work for their money instead they want you to go to work and provide for them like they are vultures ! 

On 11/6/2017 at 4:35 AM, VocalNeal said:

If one leaves the protection of the UK shores, one is on one's own. 

Yet the UK Foreign Office website states the following regarding 'What we do';

Our consular services support British nationals around the world. Contact a British embassy, high commission or consulate if you’re abroad and need urgent help - for example if you’ve lost your passport, been arrested or a victim of crime, or involved in an accident.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:32 AM, pumpjack said:

british consulate / embassy are a  bunch of hatefull bas...rds,

thats why i now travel on my irish passport

On 11/6/2017 at 8:30 AM, sanemax said:

What would the Irish Government do, in this situation ?

Tell him to go to the British embassy as there is no Irish Embassy or Consulate in Cambodia.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, Get Real said:

As usual a comment with no identity at all. It´s not only here this problem exists. It´s all over the world. Maybe you belive it´s more bad when it happens in Thailand or Cambodia, than in Germany or UK.

They can´t find him in any records. Maybe he is lying? Shuold a person that is lying about his situation get the help from any country he wants it from. Just saying and elaborating for creating a thought.

You´re spot on. Have seen this a lot too. Even knew som people that put it in system. Off course only until friends, family and country gave up on them.

why don't you get real

15 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

UK.... is that not the ex. eu that give asylum to corrupt Thai pm's ? Dubai - UK .

But she is a pretty woman

Well thaksin didn’t seek asylum, he bought the majority of Man City which then gives him the right to stay in uk on business I think. 

You are talking about him yeh?

22 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

Well thaksin didn’t seek asylum, he bought the majority of Man City which then gives him the right to stay in uk on business I think. 

yes taksin did well out of the deal also when selling 

23 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

He bought Man City in 2007 then sold it in 2008 in which year he is also reported to have submitted a request for asylum in the UK, but not long afterwards the UK withdrew his visa, which had been granted due to investments, following another arrest warrant being issued in Thailand, he then withdrew his request for asylum and left the UK, first for Germany until they withdrew his residency permit, and then he left for Dubai.

On 06/11/2017 at 12:03 PM, Tony125 said:

If you Google his name another site Expats in Cambodia Online states they know of him and have tried to help but he refuses. They have even bought meds for him but he would rather drink. Said they arranged for him to stay at a hospice and be flown home but left. He has a car that the police have that people wanted to get so he could sleep in it and Police said send him down we will talk about his overstay so they forgot that idea. They say his passport is being held by Immigration as he left it at a guesthouse.  Some new guys said they located him and are trying to make arrangements to get him sent home. They have contacted a relative who has been sending $$$  monthly.

All these problems brought on himself, I had a passport stolen went to US Embassy and got a new one.  Broke my ATM card (from US bank) they sent me a new one. These alcoholics or drug users would rather stay in warm Asian countries bumming and living on a beach then back in a cold EU or other western country

Yes, It seems to be his 'lifestyle choice'. Good luck to him!

21 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Yes, It seems to be his 'lifestyle choice'. Good luck to him!

yes his choice so he cannot complain , but the most annoying thing is these kind of people who like bumming around dont want to work and have no purpose in life except to get their next drink what a very sad life i dont feel pity for these people rather annoyance that they dont come to their senses he has a brain some intelligence the annoying thing is he does not use it but will beg instead 

1 hour ago, hottrader77 said:

yes his choice so he cannot complain , but the most annoying thing is these kind of people who like bumming around dont want to work and have no purpose in life except to get their next drink what a very sad life i dont feel pity for these people rather annoyance that they dont come to their senses he has a brain some intelligence the annoying thing is he does not use it but will beg instead 

How is it annoying to you?

On 2/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, Justfine said:

How is it annoying to you?

its annoying because if we all went round like that the  economy of every country would be in a right state , these are lazy people who only want to take and not give by working hard and having something to give , he has been given plenty of opportunities as others on here have posted 

32 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

its annoying because if we all went round like that the  economy of every country would be in a right state , these are lazy people who only want to take and not give by working hard and having something to give , he has been given plenty of opportunities as others on here have posted 

So you are anti free will?

Communist

Archived