O-A Long Stay Visa: start process in U.S. or Thailand?

I've found several threads here regarding the O-A "retirement" visa, and done some research so I understand the basics, but still have a couple questions: 

1. I'm in Los Angeles now, and would like to travel to Chiang Mai in mid or late December. I'm wondering if it would be better to start the process here, with the Thai Consulate in L.A., or in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
  2. I was in Thailand last month (October 20 arrival) for a week, without visa; not sure if that complicates things at all.
  3. I can deposit 800k baht in a Thai bank, but other than that, I don't have proof of income or proof of retirement in U.S. I am over 50.

Thanks.

Edited by fellig

If you specifically want an O-A visa, that is impossible to get in Thailand. You must apply for that in the U.S. For that, the 800K in funds is shown in a U.S. bank. You don't need any income if you've got the 800K. 

YES, there is another path towards retirement status that doesn't involve ever getting an O-A visa and is done in Thailand. I'll let others address that. You asked about O-A so I took you literally. 

Edited by Jingthing

I got my Non-Imm O-A from the LA Consulate in Feb.  For me it was a simple process(others will disagree).  If you are in LA now you might consider getting the O-A there.  The 3 key things are completing the following:

1.  Financial Qualifier(you can bring evidence of money where you currently have it and it does not have to be in a Thai Bank)

2.  Police Background/Check Letter(the Local police background check was accepted by the consulate)

3.  Medical Examination(I had it done at a local clinic that specializes in US Immigration Visa/Citizenship medical exams).

Presented the application packet on a Thursday morning in person and I picked up my passport with the O-A Extension of Stay at 1030 on Friday morning.

The other option is the Non-Imm O that can be obtained in Thailand(you can search Thai Visa for the information on this option).  

Good luck on your journey

Thanks JingThing and sqwakvfr. 

sqwakvfr, glad to hear it went smoothly in your experience. 

1. Did you have a letter from the bank as specified on the L.A. consulate site, or just a bank statement?
  2.  Where do you get police background check?

I did find the requirements at the consulate:
http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

1. Did you have a letter from the bank as specified on the L.A. consulate site, or just a bank statement?

I qualified under the 65,000 Baht Month Income qualifier and a letter from my pension board was accepted.

1.  Where do you get police background check?  The local police department where I used to live provided the police background letter.  Not all police/sheriff departments will provide this service.  It is sometimes referred to as a "Clearance Letter".  

From the opening post I don't quite understand the intention.

You travel to Thailand mid December.

And then?

Do you want to stay for an indefinite time from then on?

The Non O-A (available only at Thai consulate in the US) has it's advantages in certain situations/intensions.

BUT: it seems you are willing and capable to deposit 800k Baht at a Thai bank account (after arriving).

In this case just apply for an ordinary single entry Non-O at the LA consulate (much less effort).

After arriving, open bank account, deposit/transfer money.

60 days later you can apply for a one year extension to stay at the Thai immigration office.

No police check, no health certificate at very most offices.

And even if required it's a farce.

(simplified description)

One advantage of the Non O-A: no need to deposit money at Thai bank account.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fellig said:

I was in Thailand last month (October 20 arrival) for a week, without visa; not sure if that complicates things at all.

Not at all.

9 hours ago, fellig said:

I can deposit 800k baht in a Thai bank, but other than that, I don't have proof of income or proof of retirement in U.S. I am over 50.

Fine. No problem as described.

(I was 54 in 2011, went the Non O-A route as I hesitated to transfer that amount from the start)

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

From the opening post I don't quite understand the intention.

You travel to Thailand mid December.

And then?

Do you want to stay for an indefinite time from then on?

Yes, plan to stay for a  year or more. 

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The Non O-A (available only at Thai consulate in the US) has it's advantages in certain situations/intensions.

BUT: it seems you are willing and capable to deposit 800k Baht at a Thai bank account (after arriving).

In this case just apply for an ordinary single entry Non-O at the LA consulate (much less effort).

After arriving, open bank account, deposit/transfer money.

60 days later you can apply for a one year extension to stay at the Thai immigration office.

No police check, no health certificate at very most offices.

And even if required it's a farce.

(simplified description)

One advantage of the Non O-A: no need to deposit money at Thai bank account.

Yeah, that sounds easier. 

Agreed, the OP has all that it takes to qualify for the O-A in LA which is definitely the path of least resistance. Then, with the subsequent extension as suggested by Jingthing, he has about 2 years to get the local banking, domicile rigmarole all set up and explore a bit if Chiang Mai doesn't tick all the boxes. Also, if there are any significant changes to the in-country retirement extension process in Thailand that makes it harder to qualify or simply involves more pedantic, bureaucratic hoop-jumping than present, getting another O-A in LA should still be an option.

Welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have gotten five separate non imm o-a multi entry visas via the LA Consulate and find the process relatively painless.

If you have your own doctor that is the best, easiest source for the medical letter. I just print out the letter from the consulate website and my doctor signs it.

I am in WA state and can apply for the police clearance via the state patrol website, and for $10 can obtain a notarized copy.

I go to my bank and obtain a signed letter from them listing the current value of my accounts.

The consulate website discusses notarized copies of documents. I include a notarized cover letter stating that the enclosed information is correct and current and have never had a problem.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you specifically want an O-A visa, that is impossible to get in Thailand. You must apply for that in the U.S. For that, the 800K in funds is shown in a U.S. bank. You don't need any income if you've got the 800K. 

YES, there is another path towards retirement status that doesn't involve ever getting an O-A visa and is done in Thailand. I'll let others address that. You asked about O-A so I took you literally. 

As you may remember, I lost my visa this year due to lack of an re-entry permit.  I thought it was multi, but it was just a single one and used.  My mistake. 

I arrived on the 30 day visa exemption and have converted it to the "retirement" visa.  It wasn't that hard, but did take 2 trips to Bangkok.  Which I always combine with sightseeing.  No medical, no police report.  But can't use the 800k in the bank as it's hard to open a bank account with a tourist visa. LOL

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A big advantage of the O-A is that you can stretch it for almost TWO years (by exiting and entering tactfully) before having to deal with applying for anything at Thai immigration at all (or the need to fund a Thai bank account). I think you should strongly consider the O-A. 

That's correct, just had a German friend who got his O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy in Berlin doing this. He did a border run just before his visa expired and on return got stamped in for another year. Not sure whether such a visa is available at all Thai embassies/consulates in Europe though. Never heard of it being granted in my home country Switzerland....

Just one other thing for the OP to consider ........if planning to live long term in Chiang Mai .

Chiang Mai has a very large ex-pat population and FUTURE dealings with the local immigration office there are ( apparently) a nightmare.

I dont live there , so only going on reports from others . But it seems that even for the simplest dealings with Immigration in Chiang Mai means queueing up from VERY VERY early in the morning.

My local immigration office is usually in and out in less than 1/2 hour (depending on what you need to do ) almost any time of the day .

22 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I got my Non-Imm O-A from the LA Consulate in Feb.  For me it was a simple process(others will disagree).  If you are in LA now you might consider getting the O-A there.  The 3 key things are completing the following:

1.  Financial Qualifier(you can bring evidence of money where you currently have it and it does not have to be in a Thai Bank)

2.  Police Background/Check Letter(the Local police background check was accepted by the consulate)

3.  Medical Examination(I had it done at a local clinic that specializes in US Immigration Visa/Citizenship medical exams).

Presented the application packet on a Thursday morning in person and I picked up my passport with the O-A Extension of Stay at 1030 on Friday morning.

The other option is the Non-Imm O that can be obtained in Thailand(you can search Thai Visa for the information on this option).  

Good luck on your journey

Yes. You won't need either the medical exam or the criminal background check if you get it in I have a retirement visa and it was really easy to get in Thailand. I don't know what advantages doing it in the USA might have.

4 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Yes. You won't need either the medical exam or the criminal background check if you get it in I have a retirement visa and it was really easy to get in Thailand. I don't know what advantages doing it in the USA might have.

Different Visa O-A vs annual extension

Getting an O-A in USA means almost 2 years without hassles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

U.S advantages---Your money can stay in a U.S. bank and you can stretch the O-A out to almost 2 years! Each person has to decide what works best for them. Maybe someone would have trouble with the police check?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

It is an advantage if you are an American Citizen, do not have a criminal record, is healthy  enough to pass the Thai Visa medical exam and meet the other requirements.  When the O-A is issued it is Mult-Entry and you can stretch it to almost 2 years(in my case I can stretch it to almost 22 months) with just one application packet and a $200 money order.  The same can be said for other nationalities at their respective Thai Embassies(or Consulates) in their home country.  

But if one has criminal background issues or cannot get the Visa Medical completed then the appropriate route would be the Non-Imm O Ext of Stay in Thailand.  The Visa medical is essentially be relatively healthy do not have the following:

Leprosy, Elephantasis, TB and Stage III Syphillis.  I did not find  obtaining the O-A in Los Angeles very difficult.  The difficult part was finding cheap parking because the consulate is located in a very densely populated part of LA(near Hollywood).

There are pros and cons to the different paths.

Personally, I didn't start with an O-A, but I am well aware of it's huge advantages --

Can make it last for two years

Funds to qualify are in the home country

It's best that people learn the pros and cons, and decide for themselves which path makes the most sense to them personally. This isn't a one size fits all situation. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

... it seems you are willing and capable to deposit 800k Baht at a Thai bank account (after arriving).

OP - if not familiar with the difference, a "single entry Non-O" (versus a "Non O-A") is good for one 90-day entry, is cheaper, and does not require the police-check and medical.  The downside, is you cannot get it in Los Angeles, so would need to use one of the honorary consulates.

See here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1001644-converting-30-day-arrival-visa-into-non-immigrant-o-visa/?do=findComment&comment=12264621

The important factor, is that entering with either the Non-O or Non-OA save you from trying to "convert" a tourist-type entry (Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt) into a "Non Immigrant" type entry.  Conversions require more trips to immigration and jumping-hoops - and can be near-impossible in some areas (from personal experience), because you must use your local immigration office to do them - and some will do almost anything to avoid processing them.

Therefore, I would definitely suggest you go with some type of Non-O visa, based on being over 50, before coming to Thailand - either the "Non-OA" (more hoops to get it, but saves dealing with Thai immigration for awhile), or a single-entry "Non-O" with the intention to transfer funds and get a 1-year extension of stay after arrival.

If you get the OA in LA you don't need funds in a Thai account, just a US account works for the initial application.  I had a bank statement and a letter from the bank, make sure the balances match, they did the notary on it too.  My local doctor did the letter for me as described and I had to get a traveling Notary to meet us there.  And I went to the local police station for that part, they did the notary on it too.  I don't know if it is still true but when I did it 4 years ago you submitted it at the embassy and had to come back the next day to pick it up.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

If you get the OA in LA you don't need funds in a Thai account, just a US account works for the initial application.  I had a bank statement and a letter from the bank, make sure the balances match, they did the notary on it too.  My local doctor did the letter for me as described and I had to get a traveling Notary to meet us there.  And I went to the local police station for that part, they did the notary on it too.  I don't know if it is still true but when I did it 4 years ago you submitted it at the embassy and had to come back the next day to pick it up.

Or you can apply via the US Postal Service, which I have done each time.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you have 600 bucks in your life?  I think you do since you have the 800k.

Simplify things.  I suggest you come here as you did in October and go to an agency.  They can get you the first year 3 months, then 12 month retirement visa in a couple hours.   No hassle with police or medical checks in Thailand.  

Well worth the investment.

Good luck.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Do you have 600 bucks in your life?  I think you do since you have the 800k.

Simplify things.  I suggest you come here as you did in October and go to an agency.  They can get you the first year 3 months, then 12 month retirement visa in a couple hours.   No hassle with police or medical checks in Thailand.  

Well worth the investment.

Good luck.

Yes, and don't even need to have the funds to show (they will "fake" the "money in the bank").  But if they get you those stamps together like that, it can lead to problems later.  When you try to get your next year's extension, you may be told, "You go back to agent."  One fellow reported the consequences of this at Chang Wattana, and was faced with either continuing to pay high agent-fees every year, or go out to Laos for a fresh Non-O, and start over.

If you do use an agent, to save time and trouble, be sure and get the conversion to a Non-O 90-day first, then wait until the last 30 days of that, before filing for the 1-year extension.  Do not accept "all at once" service - because that violates the rules of the system.  And, of course, provide your own actual bank-records (don't use their phoney-bank-balance service), and keep copies of all your qualifying documents.  That way if there is ever a problem later with the agent and immigration, you can prove you were an honest-customer - not one of those skirting the qualifications.

On 5.11.2017 at 6:33 AM, sqwakvfr said:

On 5.11.2017 at 6:33 AM, sqwakvfr said:

you picked up your Non-Imm-OA visa and not the OA-extension of stay.

You still have to apply for the extension of stay based on retirement at the Immigration Office in Thailand at the location of where you stay

1 minute ago, crazygreg44 said:

you picked up your Non-Imm-OA visa and not the OA-extension of stay.

You still have to apply for the extension of stay based on retirement at the Immigration Office in Thailand at the location of where you stay

Well if you start with an O-A visa you won't need to apply for the first annual extension based on retirement for about a year or better yet about two years if you learn how to USE the O-A visa for that benefit. 

On the other hand if you start with a 90 day O visa, the extension needs to applied for within 90 days (30 days before optimally). 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 8:25 PM, novo58 said:

Just one other thing for the OP to consider ........if planning to live long term in Chiang Mai .

Chiang Mai has a very large ex-pat population and FUTURE dealings with the local immigration office there are ( apparently) a nightmare.

I dont live there , so only going on reports from others . But it seems that even for the simplest dealings with Immigration in Chiang Mai means queueing up from VERY VERY early in the morning.

My local immigration office is usually in and out in less than 1/2 hour (depending on what you need to do ) almost any time of the day .

Chiang Mai has a new office. Much improved. 

On 11/5/2017 at 1:45 AM, fellig said:

I did find the requirements at the consulate:
http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=48

Re: the VISA Application Form

The Thai Embassy in DC has a different form, where it asks for 

References with their address and phone numbers in both US and Thailand:

http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Visa-Form-2015.pdf

http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Additional-Application-Form-For-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Long-Stay-Only.pdf

How does  one know the date of his trip/ airplane Ticket... or reserve a place where to stay;  if he doesn't know if he will get a Visa or not.

What if the  lodging/plane ticket are not refundable?

I think their whole set up is ridiculous.

Does anybody know if you can apply at any location  Consulats or Embassy by mail, from anywhere in the US?

Edited by bttao