O-A Long Stay Visa: start process in U.S. or Thailand?

26 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Joe do you know if the LA consul will accept a medical certificate from a Hospital in Thailand? (Asking for a friend who will apply for 0-A there soon).

I suggest he contact them about it since this is shown on their website.

"*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor.  The certificate must be not be older than 3 months."

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:
3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

It's been a few years but the LA Consulate rejected my medical cert from Thailand.

Thanks. It is not so easy to trust info on their site. Is says Americans need 6 months passport validity to travel to Thailand and get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Simply not not correct information!

On 11/6/2017 at 2:29 PM, Jingthing said:

Well if you start with an O-A visa you won't need to apply for the first annual extension based on retirement for about a year or better yet about two years if you learn how to USE the O-A visa for that benefit. 

On the other hand if you start with a 90 day O visa, the extension needs to applied for within 90 days (30 days before optimally). 

So what is the timing to apply for the EOS (ext of stay), any time during the 2nd year, while on re-entry permits?

Can I wait till the last month of my final 1 year I am stamped in for ? Or how close in advisable?

If you mail it to LA, it probably requires another $20-$30 for the 2- way pre-paid preferred special shipping type, unless you want to mail your passport in the regular mail

$30 for criminal background check here

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As long as you do an entry before the enter before date you will get a one year entry without a problem.

After the enter before date you will need a re-entry permit to keep that one year entry valid if you want to travel. Without a re-entry permit you would only get a visa exempt entry.

if he entered on Nov 10, got a 1 year stamp, can he get the re-entry Nov 13 ( Before the actual visa has expired?  or must one be in-country and wait till a day or so after the Visa expires?)

I would guess the former?

3 hours ago, khlongtoey said:

if he entered on Nov 10, got a 1 year stamp, can he get the re-entry Nov 13 ( Before the actual visa has expired? 

The re-entry permit can be applied for at any time before leaving the country. The visas expiration date makes no difference.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, 4evermaat said:

This is misleading.  The O/A holder only needs to obtain a re-entry permit if he intends to leave thailand after the Visa expires (enter on/before date).  If he stays in Thailand, no re-entry permit is needed. 

Thanks for replying Matt.

If you read the OP's post, to which I replied, he stated;

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, fellig said:

New question: I'm planning to move next December, but the visa says "enter before Nov 15 2018." So I'm planning a visit to CM in September. Other than that "enter before" deadline, just want to make sure there are no other complications I'm unaware of, especially related to having stayed in the U.S. for months after getting the visa. Anything to look out for? 

Key word here is visit in September,

One assumes that's to activate the Visa before it's expiry date in November.

He isn't planning to make the permanent move until December.

So in that context, he'll need to get a re-entry permit to keep his permission to stay valid for his planned return in December.

• 1 month later...

Key word here is visit in September,

One assumes that's to activate the Visa before it's expiry date in November.

He isn't planning to make the permanent move until December.

So in that context, he'll need to get a re-entry permit to keep his permission to stay valid for his planned return in December.

Right, visiting in September, then going back to stay indefinitely in December or January. 

Where do I get the re-entry permit? 

5 minutes ago, fellig said:

Where do I get the re-entry permit? 

At a immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok on departure from the country 24 hours a day.

The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit or 3800 for a multiple.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

At a immigration office or at either airport in Bangkok on departure from the country 24 hours a day.

The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit or 3800 for a multiple.

Ah, right, that sounds familiar. So re-entry permit should be relatively quick and painless at BKK? I've seen threads in the CM forum about insanely long lines for visa extensions there...

37 minutes ago, fellig said:

Ah, right, that sounds familiar. So re-entry permit should be relatively quick and painless at BKK?

Yes it is.

You do not anything other than your passport and the fee plus 200 baht service charge for them to do the form photo and copies for you.