20k Baht or equivalent?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Isn't it only required if entering with a tourist exempt?

Only 10K for exempt - but more is better if one is a frequent visitor or has a longer-staying history.

And for any type of Visa, including Tourist Visas, they can ask to see 20K. 

Many have been denied-entry at Airports on METVs SETVs, and Non-ED visas for not having 20K to show - so it's absolutely critical, there. 

At a Malaysian crossing (I think it was Sadao, just after their tea-money scheme was cancelled), we had reports of them requesting to see the money for even Non-O Multiple-holders, for awhile.

Edited by JackThompson

Hi fellow members, 

I read something the other day and would like to ask if someone can confirm the 30.000.-Baht rule, I cant find it anywhere but this guy told us its sure. 

These amounts you have to show to immigration officer if requested (?)

stays until 30 days: 10.000 Baht 
stays  31 to 60 days: 20.000 Baht 
for more than 60 days: 30.000 Baht

Another question is, is there a ATM in the Transitarea on the way from plane to Immigration? 
cant remember but i think not

thx in advance for answers

5 minutes ago, moskito said:

These amounts you have to show to immigration officer if requested (?)

A visa exempt entry requires the equivalent of 10,000 baht. All other entries are 20,000 baht.

5 minutes ago, moskito said:

Another question is, is there a ATM in the Transitarea on the way from plane to Immigration? 
cant remember but i think not

As far as I know there are no ATM's before immigration after you arrive.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa exempt entry requires the equivalent of 10,000 baht. All other entries are 20,000 baht.

As far as I know there are no ATM's before immigration after you arrive.

THX, so you are 100% sure there is no 30.000.-Baht rule right? 
never heard of it too but was not sure anymore
thx Ubonjoe

Only 10K for exempt - but more is better if one is a frequent visitor or has a longer-staying history.

And for any type of Visa, including Tourist Visas, they can ask to see 20K. 
Many have been denied-entry at Airports on METVs SETVs, and Non-ED visas for not having 20K to show - so it's absolutely critical, there. 
At a Malaysian crossing (I think it was Sadao, just after their tea-money scheme was cancelled), we had reports of them requesting to see the money for even Non-O Multiple-holders, for awhile.

So for a Cambodia border run using my METV still worth taking 20k?

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So for a Cambodia border run using my METV still worth taking 20k?

You are unlikely to need it at Ban Laem, Ban Packard, and other lawful/friendly points of entry from Cambodia.  Just avoid Poipet.

That said, carrying the money in a safe form (I always carried travelers checks) would cover you in case of a  change in reported policy at those entry-points.  The money is a published requirement, so they would not be bending any rules to begin requiring it at any time.

Beyond me how anyone wouldnt have at least 50,000 or equivalent as bare minumum when flying cross borders. Cards are all well and good until just maybe things go pear shaped as did with me in 1996. It happens believe me and fortunate I was carrying hard currency at that time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Beyond me how anyone wouldnt have at least 50,000 or equivalent as bare minumum when flying cross borders. Cards are all well and good until just maybe things go pear shaped as did with me in 1996. It happens believe me and fortunate I was carrying hard currency at that time

When traveling to a country where I have a bank account, I do not usually think much about how much cash I have with me. Especially when traveling by land, I am not keen on carrying large wads of cash, though I do on occasion when I know I might need it.

• Like 1

When traveling to a country where I have a bank account, I do not usually think much about how much cash I have with me. Especially when traveling by land, I am not keen on carrying large wads of cash, though I do on occasion when I know I might need it.
Yes once you have a Thai bank account you don't need to carry much cash, exception seems to be if 20k may be required
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

That depends on where you are going - NYC or Bangkok, for example.  I figure 10K Baht is sufficient for an "all my cards died at once" contingency in Thailand, until one of my overseas banks can do an emergency transfer. 

Being old-fashioned, I hold travelers checks - but I had to buy more last year, so I could enter the country without worry without holding what I consider to be "too much" cash.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, Chivas said:

Well, it may be beyond you, but I'll bet only a very few have that much cash on them.   I've hardly ever had that much on me, but I do have a Thai bank account and travel with backup plans and backup backup plans for cash in case of problems or emergencies.   Passing through international airports as well as taxis and other public transportation getting to and from, and lots of loose cash just don't go safely together IMO.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Well, it may be beyond you, but I'll bet only a very few have that much cash on them.   I've hardly ever had that much on me, but I do have a Thai bank account and travel with backup plans and backup backup plans for cash in case of problems or emergencies.   Passing through international airports as well as taxis and other public transportation getting to and from, and lots of loose cash just don't go safely together IMO.

Well we can agree to disagree and I have had a thai account since the 90's which is always funded prior to trips but I would never consider having less than £1000 on me and 9/10 I have £3000 on me. Thats in a concealed money bag around my waist.

Well we can agree to disagree and I have had a thai account since the 90's which is always funded prior to trips but I would never consider having less than £1000 on me and 9/10 I have £3000 on me. Thats in a concealed money bag around my waist.

Why? To change cash? I've realised that I get a better rate using my Clarity card at a bank counter than I do exchanging cash at a booth like TT so I'm likely to bring less cash in future bar the 20k

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Why? To change cash? I've realised that I get a better rate using my Clarity card at a bank counter than I do exchanging cash at a booth like TT so I'm likely to bring less cash in future bar the 20k

You have obviously never checked the rates at SuperRich (or Vasu) in Bangkok. Any method of exchanging money that goes through the banks is worse (assuming you are not a business able to negotiate a special rate).

You have obviously never checked the rates at SuperRich (or Vasu) in Bangkok. Any method of exchanging money that goes through the banks is worse (assuming you are not a business able to negotiate a special rate).
Yes I use SuperRich at Bangkok airport which is good but it depends on time of flight and how much time I have but the Clarity card gives a better rate than the Pattaya booths

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes I use SuperRich at Bangkok airport which is good but it depends on time of flight and how much time I have but the Clarity card gives a better rate than the Pattaya booths

Yes the clarity is the best and I have one but going back to your earlier post I just prefer always having a bundle with me. I have a box at siam secure but I mentioned earlier in the thread that in 1996 I had chain of events with cards that left me penniless bar the £1000 (reserve) I had at the time.

Have never forget the problems that would have surfaced purely if I'd had no currency with me

• Like 1