British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

"After the perfect start to their break, the holiday took a dramatic turn for the worse when Mr Laverty was attacked by two young men who put a gun in his face and demanded money.

Mrs Laverty said she had gone into a bar to use the toilet while her husband waited outside.

When she got back she could not see her husband among crowds of people in the street so she frantically searched the resort before returning to their hotel."

What a load of BS......that is not thai style to go robbing tourists with a gun in crowded areas......or even anywhere.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the OP

Mrs Laverty said she had gone into a bar to use the toilet while her husband waited outside.

When she got back she could not see her husband among crowds of people in the street so she frantically searched the resort before returning to their hotel.

Staff checked CCTV footage but there was still no sign of Mr Laverty until the hotel was contacted by a nearby hospital to say one of their guests had been admitted.

Mrs Laverty rushed to his bedside and was shocked to learn what had happened.

Mr Laverty had been left so badly hurt that his recollection of the mugging is patchy but he remembered seeing a black 4x4 vehicle around the time he was grabbed.

When he told the attackers had no cash they took his watch and keys and made off, leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures which have since been operated on.

Mrs Laverty was initially too scared to return to the hotel fearful the robbers had the room key.

So much of this story seems at odds with the Thailand I know, unless Phuket really is so different than when I used to visit

Barbeers don't have toilets, they have a central toilet facility that serves all the bars. No one should be going into a gogo to just use the toilet. So why did her husband "wait outside"

Unless it's a Phuket thing, tourists in my experience don't get mugged by anyone, let alone "gun wielding" thugs in front of crowds of people on the street.

a black 4x4 and broken legs sounds like a traffic accident.

Since when do tourists on "dream holidays" have to carry hotel room keys with them outside, instead of leaving them with reception?

Since when do tourists carry any keys with them instead of leaving them in the hotel safe box?

I have my suspicions, but I won't post them as unable to prove from a very sparse article on a British paper.

waiting for a foreign lady while she goes to the toilet can place the man in a difficult situation.

what is he supposed to do with himself.

it always looks suspicious.

like being accused as a peeping tom at a fashion show.

or as a terrorist at london airport.

ladies should be more considerate.

those are my experiences and observations.

34 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Over the last couple of years, when I tell folks back home that I spend half the year in Thailand, I have been increasingly hearing:

"Ooh, it's a bit dangerous there isn't it?"

It always used to be:

"Ooh, how lovely"

In USA, the women would be calling you a pedi and the men would say you boink lb’s

1 hour ago, cnx101 said:

Terrible I hope he has a quick recovery, getting worse in Thailand 

i feel there is more to this story ive been around a lot of places in Thailand including Phuket over the last 17 years living here and never had this sort of problem. 

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I agree with some other posters. Multiple leg fractures is more likely caused by a traffic accident, maybe when trying to run away? Regardless, if he was mugged and had his property stolen, it really is going to be tough for the Thai Tourist Agency to continue to tell everyone how safe the place is.

I thought that about the multiple leg fractures too. Maybe he ran for it and they ran him down? Seems unusual story. Missus nips to the toilet. In that time he's threatened with a gun, robbed of belongings and seriously assaulted, suffering somewhat unusual injuries for a robbery.

So no one at the bar saw it? His wife was how long? 

Doesn't seem the usual modus operandi for street robberies here.

I thought that about the multiple leg fractures too. Maybe he ran for it and they ran him down? Seems unusual story. Missus nips to the toilet. In that time he's threatened with a gun, robbed of belongings and seriously assaulted, suffering somewhat unusual injuries for a robbery.

So no one at the bar saw it? His wife was how long? 

Not forgetting the ambulance that came and went Unnoticed by all.

It’s either dodgy as, or crap reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures" - multiple leg fractures, during a "mugging" in which the offenders had a gun, in a bar area, in a crowded street.   Mmmmmmmmm.

Multiple leg fractures are conducive with a motorbike accident.  Just saying. 

I'm with you, not buying this at all, been to Phuket heaps of times since 2006, and know a lot of Thai's there, and from understanding it is said that if a Thai ever put a hand on a farang (robbery wise), the Thai's in Phuket would deal with them before the cops had a chance, just saying, and I have never had a bad encounter, even walking home down dark streets and alley's in the early hours of the morning, sun not up, never a problem.

Now this can be taken out of context, but I did say robbery/mugging, not from your usual Ladyboys, strictly robbing and beating a farang in Phuket by Thai's as the Thai's in Phuket don't want negative crap like this hitting their shores, suffice to say, I will wait to hear more on what really transpired.

Just now, Kadilo said:

Not forgetting the ambulance that came and went I noticed by all.
It’s either dodgy as, or the worst reporting ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good point. Whenever I see ambulances they have a wonderful light show display! Hard to miss. Besides which who called the ambulance?

This is going to sound far fetched but my dear friend Watson is thinking they both got smashed drunk as you do on the 1st and or 2nd night you arrive, she said honey I'm going to the toilet, he didn't hear her, then he turned and didn't see her, so he went looking for her and ended up meeting a lovely tall Ladyboy......, so I can't wait for the CTTV footage of him walking off with  Ladyboy who did him over, then he can explain it all to lovey...I don't remember lovey, I was so drunk, I thought it was you.

57 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Over the last couple of years, when I tell folks back home that I spend half the year in Thailand, I have been increasingly hearing:

It always used to be:

"Ooh, how lovely"

I've not been back to the UK for over 12 years, but I read my local paper from there online, every day.

Every day I read it I think,

"Ooh, it's very dangerous there now, isn't it ?"

I feel a lot safer in Thailand than I would if I went back there. 

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

It always used to be:

"Ooh, how lovely"

Obviously said by people who have no experience of Thailand.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

I hate to be the cynic but there's something fishy about this story.  Things just don't add up, from the multiple leg fractures from a mugging to the Mrs going to the toilet and coming out and not finding her husband....surely, he was not mugged, injured, the emergency services called and came to pick him up, treat him at the scene, and take him away all faster than the time it took her to go to the loo....

...and all outside the bar she was in!

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures" - multiple leg fractures, during a "mugging" in which the offenders had a gun, in a bar area, in a crowded street.   Mmmmmmmmm.

Multiple leg fractures are conducive with a motorbike accident.  Just saying. 

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

They are insured .

They are waiting on investigation by the insurance company.

If you had read the newspaper article you would know that.

That's totally BS just like their scam about multiple leg fractures while getting mugged.

"The fundraising campaign can be found online at crowdfunder.co.uk/get-mik-and-denise-home"

LMAO. Go fund me whilst being fully insured

Wake up!

I agree with some other posters. Multiple leg fractures is more likely caused by a traffic accident, maybe when trying to run away? Regardless, if he was mugged and had his property stolen, it really is going to be tough for the Thai Tourist Agency to continue to tell everyone how safe the place is.

If he is lying about the circumstances and putting Thailand in a bad light as well -- he might be surprised to find his stay extended for him to attend court :shock1:

Strange story.  Certainly not the type of injuries usually associated with a mugging.  Perhaps there is more to it but if she was there there as described it is quite an unusual event and outcome.  I suppose he could have been driven over by the attackers or someone else while lying unconscious after the attack.

10 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

He might lie IF he was doing something that wasn't covered by his insurance (i.e. riding a motorcycle) and got into an accident.

You do realize that just because they are from the UK doesn't mean they are above telling a lie, don't you ? I do get the impression that a lot of people will believe virtually anything if it's said by someone from "back home" because no one from "back home" would ever lie !

Archived