British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Surely there must be more to this story ?

Whilst She went to the toilet , her Husband got attacked and then taken to Hospital and he got taken away by an ambulance by the time She got back and there was no sign of the attack ?

More like , they were drinking in the bar, had a disagreement , he stormed off and had an accident

I agree - - how long could she have been in the toilet? Surely not longer than it would take for an ambulance to arrive and get him in it... I don't think that such a daylight robbery is that common here, but either way, sounds like details are missing... my hopes for a speedy recovery. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

Robberies involving guns are very rare in Thailand.Practically unheard of in random muggings .

If he was carrying a large amount of money, the story could be believable

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures" - multiple leg fractures, during a "mugging" in which the offenders had a gun, in a bar area, in a crowded street.   Mmmmmmmmm.

Multiple leg fractures are conducive with a motorbike accident.  Just saying. 

Or a vendetta

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures" - multiple leg fractures, during a "mugging" in which the offenders had a gun, in a bar area, in a crowded street.   Mmmmmmmmm.

Multiple leg fractures are conducive with a motorbike accident.  Just saying. 

Are you saying the couple are lying?

14 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

He might lie IF he was doing something that wasn't covered by his insurance (i.e. riding a motorcycle) and got into an accident.

You do realize that just because they are from the UK doesn't mean they are above telling a lie, don't you ? I do get the impression that a lot of people will believe virtually anything if it's said by someone from "back home" because no one from "back home" would ever lie !

That's a fair point.  I am assuming he was telling the truth and you are assuming he was lying.  As for believing someone from "back home" wouldn't lie, well that is unfortunately way off of the mark.  Living in Thailand for all those years taught me that most people will lie at the drop of a hat if it benefits them.

I have just been to the Uk and seen a television advert showing a man injured in a motorbike accident in Thailand. He is asking for help. Send money to .... then he sits up on the hospital trolley to warn people about scams.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Tinfoil hats seem firmly in place as per usual. Careful chaps- the killer satellites are up there.

I dont think that that post really fits this thread .

It doesnt make any sense that you added that in this thread

3 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Very sad indeed, thankfully they are insured I suspect the Thai hospital is pressuring them for payment :(

Thailand is really going down the drain.

Been going down for a long time.. with this sort of stuff happening and the Justice system not making an example of the culprits...expats are going to be leaving in droves. T.I.T.

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

Over the last couple of years, when I tell folks back home that I spend half the year in Thailand, I have been increasingly hearing:

"Ooh, it's a bit dangerous there isn't it?"

It always used to be:

"Ooh, how lovely"

And the same can be said about back home.

That's the danger of uninformed people on social media.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Good point. Whenever I see ambulances they have a wonderful light show display! Hard to miss. Besides which who called the ambulance?

That is true, and the flashing lights would have brought people out from the bar to gawk, and yet no one saw him apparently being taken to hospital, all sounds very strange!

3 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

“I just so can't wait to be back in the UK and get this horrific ordeal put behind us.”

More wonderful publicity for Thailand.

Yeah, you will be safe in England, not as if bombs are going off there or people are being mowed down in the streets by cars and trucks right.

11 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Interesting that the local Phuket press has run this story but only on the back of the Northern Echo reports. What's happened to their usual sources? It would be good to know the location where the mugging allegedly took place. 

It says 'phuket region', therefore I presume not Phuket, my guess would be Khao Lak.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

No, muggings at gunpoint are not everyday events.

Time to take off those black glasses.

Defiantly more to this story . Why a "fund  me" page if you have insurance and return tickets.

The woman was in the bathroom for the whole time of the attack, ambulance coming, treatment then the ambulance leaving and the crowd to disperse, yeah right.

The newspaper report also says she went back to the hotel and found out what happened, then says she was to afraid to return to the room because the robbers may have the keys ?

The fact that the insurance company is "investigating", very odd, a police report is enough for emergency payment.

They beat the guy up, leg fractures, I presume unconscious,  and they only took his watch ? He was out for his birthday with no money ?

Very sad story

One has to have their wits about them in thailand these days

1. wear no gold jewellery

2. keep smartphone out of sight if possible

3. dont get drunk and legless on the streets after dark

4. trust no one

5. they see you but you dont notice them (criminals are looking for weak easy targets) beware!!

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It says 'phuket region', therefore I presume not Phuket, my guess would be Khao Lak.

Someone said that one of their Facebook pages mentioned they'd been in The Drunken Leprechaun, which is in Patong.

If we had a proper local report we wouldn't have to guess.

IMO...................

If he wasn't involved in an accident then I doubt he was mugged. If those injuries were dished out, then it was a message. 

Nobody involved in a mugging, in a populated area would waste time inflicting those sort of injuries on a victim.

Hope I'm wrong.

A gun mugging in broad daylight in an extremely busy tourist spot, where by his wife's admission, she couldn't see for the crowds?? ........................... Strange even for Thailand.

Who goes the first day of a holiday in a foreign country and waits in the street whilst the wife uses the toilet. I would have ordered a fruit juice and waited inside nearby the toilet for her, I think that is normal behaviour on my first day in a strange land and not wanting to lose ' the other half '

You would expect face and hand or arm injuries in the event of a mugging not leg injuries.

I think there must be something very odd if the insurance is disputing the claim and they have quickly resorted to Facebook fundraising but no doubt the truth will come out.

1 hour ago, BWPattaya said:

I have just been to the Uk and seen a television advert showing a man injured in a motorbike accident in Thailand. He is asking for help. Send money to .... then he sits up on the hospital trolley to warn people about scams.

Archived