British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, wavemanwww said:

Christ!!! A man, and being older waiting for his wife outside a place while she goes to a toilet and the comments here are mainly, "he had a motorbike accident and hopefully had insurance". Where is human decency here and logic!? I'm disgusted.

Read above . He has retracted the allegation of having been attacked .

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Christ!!! A man, and being older waiting for his wife outside a place while she goes to a toilet and the comments here are mainly, "he had a motorbike accident and hopefully had insurance". Where is human decency here and logic!? I'm disgusted.

He is 50, not exactly old. 

I think its because of logic that 99% of people have worked out its a scam.

8 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

You should be disgusted with the couple that were telling lies in an attempt to not only defame the people and name of Thailand but to also defraud the friends that they had in England out of their money.

This lying thieving couple are the disgrace not the people on here.

It was easy to see through the scam that they were trying to work

11 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

you need to read the full story. and don,t use the Lords name like you have.

Fraudulent crowdfunding is quite common nowadays and it's all over the internet. Theres even a Coronation Street storyline running at the moment about this.

This post does not mean I am acting as judge and jury here, by the way. 

34 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Read above . He has retracted the allegation of having been attacked .

He has not publicly retracted the allegation of being attacked, it is only the Crowdfunding mob that have changed their wording and dropped the attack wording

Mik and Denise have not officially changed their story

25 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You got a link on that or name - was it here  on TVisa - I  missed that one. Always like to keep up on these stories.

I remember that one as well. From Dec 2016.
A guy who was with her on her tour supposedly went to the bathroom and when he came back she was gone. She claimed that he went to the bathroom and she started feeling "light headed" and woke up in a room, bound with restraints and on a mattress, but was able to fight off her attackers (all 6 of them, one of whom supposedly was in a policeman's uniform) and jumped out a window and ran away.
(Of course, she had all her money and everything else with her, which was robbed, etc, etc. but the "gofundme" worked quite well.)

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/957797-american-tourist-alleging-bangkok-abduction-speaks-out/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4007038/Michigan-woman-26-stranded-Thailand-escaping-kidnappers-drugged-snatched-Bangkok-bar-male-friend-bathroom.html

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

He has not publicly retracted the allegation of being attacked, it is only the Crowdfunding mob that have changed their wording and dropped the attack wording

The only place where they made the allegations was on their crowd funding page .

They have now deleted that , so, that allegation no longer stands .

It has publicly been withdrawn .

They need to make that allegation to the Thai Police and let them investigate or tell their story to the Thai media .

If they want to make those allegations public again,  they can, but I expect they do not

21 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The "crowdfunding mob" is them, setup by a friend. There is only one source on this story, a two bit UK newspaper and they quote the crowd funding page and friend. 

Sorry Peterw42 and sanemax but I thought that she had reported the matter to the police as this was in a newspaper in England.

"She has since reported the crime to police and an officer and hotel security staff have helped. The couple expect to speak to the British Embassy today. "

Sorry Peterw42 and sanemax but I thought that she had reported the matter to the police as this was in a newspaper in England.

"She has since reported the crime to police and an officer and hotel security staff have helped. The couple expect to speak to the British Embassy today. "

The Police then stated that they cannot confirm whether the attack happened or not  , they spoke the the British Embassy yesterday and today the allegation was removed .

Do keep up

The Thai newspapers and the Thai police both know nothing about this story. What you are quoting is the made up story they told the local English newspaper. 

33 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

"The Phuket News as of this evening was unable to confirm details of the attack with the Phuket Tourist Police.""

As I've mentioned before (and/or elsewhere), an armed robbery on a crowded street of a newly arrived tourist, during Loy Kratong, would have made national headlines. Hard to believe that the local press (and police) apparently know nothing about it, while a small, online, media outlet in N.E. England gets the scoop.

Also of note, despite the claims made in The Northern Echo article, it does not appear that Mik or Denise have made any posts about the "incident". Mik posted the one aforementioned pic on his page on the afternoon of 3 Nov and that's it.
Denise posted an updated profile pic and a one person commented with a "Glad your OK" and that's it. No other mention of anything else. 

On 11/6/2017 at 11:25 AM, Enoon said:

They are insured .

They are waiting on investigation by the insurance company.

If you had read the newspaper article you would know that.

If they had a PROPER insurance, they would not need others to help with £ 10,000 for hospital bills and return travel.

From the OP
Mrs Laverty said she had gone into a bar to use the toilet while her husband waited outside.
When she got back she could not see her husband among crowds of people in the street so she frantically searched the resort before returning to their hotel.
Staff checked CCTV footage but there was still no sign of Mr Laverty until the hotel was contacted by a nearby hospital to say one of their guests had been admitted.
Mrs Laverty rushed to his bedside and was shocked to learn what had happened.
Mr Laverty had been left so badly hurt that his recollection of the mugging is patchy but he remembered seeing a black 4x4 vehicle around the time he was grabbed.
When he told the attackers had no cash they took his watch and keys and made off, leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures which have since been operated on.
Mrs Laverty was initially too scared to return to the hotel fearful the robbers had the room key.

So much of this story seems at odds with the Thailand I know, unless Phuket really is so different than when I used to visit
Barbeers don't have toilets, they have a central toilet facility that serves all the bars. No one should be going into a gogo to just use the toilet. So why did her husband "wait outside"
Unless it's a Phuket thing, tourists in my experience don't get mugged by anyone, let alone "gun wielding" thugs in front of crowds of people on the street.
a black 4x4 and broken legs sounds like a traffic accident.
Since when do tourists on "dream holidays" have to carry hotel room keys with them outside, instead of leaving them with reception?
Since when do tourists carry any keys with them instead of leaving them in the hotel safe box?

I have my suspicions, but I won't post them as unable to prove from a very sparse article on a British paper.

so she frantically searched the resort before returning to their hotel.

Then

Mrs Laverty was initially too scared to return to the hotel fearful the robbers had the room key

How did she know there were robbers if at this point she still did Not know where her husband was.

I don't normally subscribe to conspiracy theories but if I were an insurance company I would put my best investigators on it!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, Xonax said:

If they had a PROPER insurance, they would not need others to help with £ 10,000 for hospital bills and return travel.

If the suspicions here are correct, any insurance would refuse payment.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/violent-attack-in-brit-tourist-plea-for-fundraising-exposed-as-fake-64608.php

Well, well, well............total fake.

What a pair of arse holes

I would like to think that they will somehow be made to account for what they have done. Trying to obtain money from "friends" dishonestly. Totally despicable. 

hopefully there will be a tabloid spread of this back home

and they will be also be disgraced nationally. 

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Lol - from the sounds of it, he was trying to break into some rooms at a different hotel !

"“Also, CCTV from the resort shows the couple arriving in the lobby, then Mr Laverty goes up to the first floor and starts checking doors while walking along the balcony,” Capt Ekkachai noted".

Note how fast they fled when they knew the jig was up !

On 06/11/2017 at 4:32 PM, ChrisY1 said:

Poor guy....multiple leg fractures...they must really have given him a hiding....bloody animals!

Hopefully the media back in the UK give this plenty of coverage

Yes, Lets hope they do

https://www.thephuketnews.com/violent-attack-in-brit-tourist-plea-for-fundraising-exposed-as-fake-64608.php#RPShgG2bYQd7fUyU.97

Archived