The Book That Helped Me (and My Friend) Quit

engrin

Thought I'd let you know that the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr helped me quit smoking, it's been about a month now. It also helped a friend of mine quit. He's been clean for a few months (he's the one who recommended it to me) :o

Good luck to everyone. The time to quit is NOW.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd let you know that the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr helped me quit smoking, it's been about a month now. It also helped a friend of mine quit. He's been clean for a few months (he's the one who recommended it to me) :o

Good luck to everyone. The time to quit is NOW.

I have tried patches, hypnotherapy, gums and will power, the book is brilliant the only hard part with the book as even though small it takes

ages to finish (funny that)

3 months now without and at the end of the book was just instantly able to stop (your allowed to smoke while reading the book, why it probably takes awhile to finish)

Its written in a really clever subtle way, if your struggling to quit or dont think you will ever as whats the point? but are reading this post

on a "giving up smoking section" spend a few baht and read it, see what you think then

Im not a fan of self help books, but after 16 years smoking I have stopped instantly after reading this, and been happily in the pub one

week later surrounded by smokers and not even fussed

Some forms of brainwashing are not that bad :D

Edited by Remo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello i was also a smoker few weeks ago and i was searching in the internet to find somethnig to help my quitting smoking is stupid put i found an ebook on thebestebookweb.com in the health and fitnees section and is was really helpful.At first i didn't beleive that this would help me the author of this book is Rick Beneteau who was smoking for about 39 years.It wasn;t easy at first but i can say that this is the best 190 i have spend.Now i have more many in my bank account.

:o

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree completely with the OP.

After 30 full years of smoking, I finally stopped three years ago using the same book 'The Easy Way To Stop Smoking'. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Stopping was not only easy but enjoyable from the first moment.

The author INSISTS you continue to smoke while reading it, often telling you to light up as he illustrates a point.

The author, Allen Carr, really gets your head around the whole operation. As a heavy (ex)smoker himself, he really knows his stuff and puts it across in a clear, easily to digest fashion.

I can't rave enough about it, this book saved my life!

Yes!I couldn't agree more..this book is a God-send.I quit a month ago and though the first 3 days were tough ,the book really showed me the way to quit for good. Sadly the books' author,Allen Carr,passed away a few months ago from lung cancer primarily as a result of allowing those he was treating(thousands!) to chain-smoke in his office.

RIP

I bought the book and finished it this weekend. I am on day 3 now and looking forward to establishing myself as a non-smoker.

18 years of second hand smoke because of my mom.

20 years of off and on chewing tobacco

5 years of off and on smoking

Now 3 days as a non smoker in training for the second half of my life.

I'd say the book does very well to give you the tools to make the right decisions and choices.

• 1 month later...

I stopped with this book just over 18 months ago. Relatively easily too. Just remember to keep the book around and read it again once or twice, or you might succumb to lighting up the odd cig again, as found myself doing recently. Stupid. :o

I bought the book and finished it this weekend. I am on day 3 now and looking forward to establishing myself as a non-smoker.

I'd say the book does very well to give you the tools to make the right decisions and choices.

Hey ,thats very cool...well done!How is it going now? Try to be strong..those first three days were the toughest. Keep re reading the book if you need "a boost".

If you made the mistake of having a cigarette, dont beat yourself up. read a few chapters of the book and stop again.

Congratulations!!

It is so much more easier now. I think I am close to 1-1/2 months now. Smoking seems distant to me. I have bought packs of cigs and broken them in front of folks. Just to show who is boss. The reaction of people are pretty incredulous. But I feel good. i feel great.

Its good to be in the other camp. The non-smokers camp.

• 2 weeks later...

I am really pleased for you guys that have quit using Allen Carr's book.

I must be really stupid as I have read it twice now and STILL cannot quit my 40 a day habbit!

What am I missing that you guys got...I am desperate to stop ...I know it is killing me!

The book says you don't need willpower...but I go bananas after the first 4 or 5 hours-the craving makes my head swim until I get my "Fix".

I am ashamed of myself because of my failure to quit.

I have 3 grown up sons..all smoked...all quit.

I am so happy they did...they really really want me to as well, as does my Wife who has to put up with all the second hand smoke I blow out.

Where am I going wrong??????

TP

I am really pleased for you guys that have quit using Allen Carr's book.

I must be really stupid as I have read it twice now and STILL cannot quit my 40 a day habbit!

What am I missing that you guys got...I am desperate to stop ...I know it is killing me!

The book says you don't need willpower...but I go bananas after the first 4 or 5 hours-the craving makes my head swim until I get my "Fix".

I am ashamed of myself because of my failure to quit.

I have 3 grown up sons..all smoked...all quit.

I am so happy they did...they really really want me to as well, as does my Wife who has to put up with all the second hand smoke I blow out.

Where am I going wrong??????

Hi just to add to the topic I used to smoke about 500 a week ( nothing to be proud of) and stopped some 33 years ago. The smell of cigarete smoke made me feel queasy after some 2 months of stopping.

Don't know if it will help but here's how I stopped.

I used to work in the newspaper industry - stressful at the best of times and had had a particularly bad two days and was looking forward to a few days off. I woke up and if I had smoked 20 fags the previous day I must have smoked 80 and the bottom of my mouth was like the proverbial budgies cage.

I must confess that I never smoked until I had had a cup of tea etc and was about to 'light -up' when I felt a bit of self righteousness coming on and decided that I would wait 5 minutes before I lit up the first one. I tell you that I sat and watched the bl--dy clock for those five minutes and had taken the cigarette into my mouth when I decided that 'boy that is one cig I've missed, lets do another five minutes. To cut a long story short I got to the one hour mark and then had a brainwave "why not put the money that I had saved in the hour infront of me!" I can't remember what a packet of cigs cost in the UK some 33 years ago and I could afford to smoke, but 500 a week was a heck of a lot of money - hate to think what it would cost now.

I built up the hour into two and eventually managed a whole day - and it was a Saturday and I used to go out dancing with friends and would you beleive it nobody turned up that night just to compound the problem. I must confess that that was the hardest time what with a pint of beer in my hand and no friends around to share my 'triumph' with.

I got home that night and took out the packet of 'Senior Service' and put it on my dressing table ALONG with the money that I would have spent on the cigs that I HADN'T smoked. I decided ther and then that I would NEVER SMOKE AGAIN. I can still remember writing in my diary 'STOPPED SMOKING - WILL NEVER SMOKE AGAIN' I can honestly say that my friends and family were amazed as they used to say that I would still have a cig in my mouth when they nailed the lid down!!

I can honestly say that I had no cravings for a cig after I stopped and that is the honest truth. I watched the money mount up and opened a 'Stopped smoking account' and at the end of the year I went out and bought myself a camera that I never imagined I would own.

TIP--- DON'T USE ANY SUBSTITUTE FOR THE CIG, if you do you are only reminding yourself of the cig and another tip - close your eyes whilst smoking and see if you really enjoy it as much.

Sorry this has been long winded but I hope that it might help - if it helps one person to stop or gives them the courage to TRY it has been worth the time.

REMEMBER ---IF YOU WANT TO STOP , YOU CAN. DON'T BELEIVE THE LIES THAT IT IS HARD - IT'S NOT.

P.S. Just thought, If I hadn't stopped 33 years ago I wouldn't be here trying to give out some advice.

THE VERY BEST OF LUCK - START RIGHT NOW- MISS OUT THE FIRST '5 MINUTE FAG' AND BUILD ON IT.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply...not long winded at all.

I only notice the stench in the house in the morning before I light up..after that I can't smell it at all. But of course anyone who visits my house who does not smoke can!

Funnily enough I chain smoked through 20 years in the publishing industry..deadlines, space to fill etc.

I have to set myself a deadline and date pretty soon now.

I have enough to last me just for today. Monday is a good day to start !

Edited by ThaiPauly

Thanks for the reply...not long winded at all.

I only notice the stench in the house in the morning before I light up..after that I can't smell it at all. But of course anyone who visits my house who does not smoke can!

Funnily enough I chain smoked through 20 years in the publishing industry..deadlines, space to fill etc.

I have to set myself a deadline and date pretty soon now.

I have enough to last me just for today. Monday is a good day to start !

OK 'ThaiPauly' you've probably just made the best decision of your life - Have the courage to stick with it and feel the benefits in a very short space of time. Good luck and let us all know how you are getting on.

TP - have you ever thought of going into a treatment centre for quitting smoking?

I know of one in Khon Kaen, where people go in for 28 day treatment.

I gave up smoking by changing to Swedish "snuss" then cutting that down and then cold turkey.

For a week or two, I prayed for "willingness to give up smoking" .

Then I got up one morning and got on my knees asking "someone" for the power to not have a nicotine fix for that day. The first few days, I succumbed late in the day, but then one day I got through. That was 9 days ago. It was <deleted>, the first few days but now feels wonderful.

It feels like some kind of barrier has been removed - I feel part of the human race again.

It nearly all psychological IMHO - apart from a couple of days of headache, aching muscles.

just past the eight month mark after 30 years smoking did it cold turkey,didn't think it was that hard , but the lads at work rekon it was the worst 6 months they have ever had.

all over now so i dont know for the life of me why i came to this forum

2 months of no smoking for me.

Its seems like I never smoked. Those things don't look worthwhile at all to me.

If and IF I get anyh cravings to smoke with my work. I just think of the filth it is and why would I want to bother. Then I drink some fluids and I'm good to go.

Onward!!

ThaiPauly,

YOU have to be smarter than that piece of paper and dried leaves. YOU have to be smarter than the mammoth sales job the smoking industry promoted.

Who is the Master? Who is the slave??

I hope that helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,but you will NEVER be as you call it a 'non-smoker'.There are 3 typrs pf smokers.

1-Smoker

2-Non Smoker

3-EX-Smoker(this is what you will be should you stay off them,good luck btw!!

To me there is no great secret in giving up,if you want to stop and i mean WANT to stop you will,simple as end of...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,but you will NEVER be as you call it a 'non-smoker'.There are 3 typrs pf smokers.

1-Smoker

2-Non Smoker

3-EX-Smoker(this is what you will be should you stay off them,good luck btw!!

To me there is no great secret in giving up,if you want to stop and i mean WANT to stop you will,simple as end of...

I feel simply like a nonsmoker, not an ex smoker. Like I don't consider old girlfriends exes. The relationship is either over or changed.

Would you put exsmoker on your resume? Would you put ex boyfriend to 100s of women? Smoker Yes or No. Married, yes or no.

Maybe ex just seems so negative like there is a cloud over people who are exes.

Not me.

Edited by Head Snake

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who like me have not been successful with 'the easy way to stop smoking' u MUST read the hardcore version of that: THE ONLY WAY TO STOP SMOKING PERMANENTLY by the same author. It's an amazing book where he talks about heaps of interesting things. Less repetitive than the first one. I stopped for 5 years! I bought the same book for my three friends who bought me the first one and that by the way after one year they started again. They have not opened it yet... :o

• 1 month later...

Bought the book in June and just finished it 2 weeks ago (ADD? :D )

Got a cold last Monday and have been sick ever since. Flew to North Amertica on Wednesday and haven't had a single one for 6 days 8 hours 23 minutes...........24 minutes but who is counting? Staying in a non-smoking room for the first time in 30 some odd years and it doesn't smell awful.

HOpe I make it another 6 days (and then another and another and another). :o

Bought the book in June and just finished it 2 weeks ago (ADD? :D )

Got a cold last Monday and have been sick ever since. Flew to North Amertica on Wednesday and haven't had a single one for 6 days 8 hours 23 minutes...........24 minutes but who is counting? Staying in a non-smoking room for the first time in 30 some odd years and it doesn't smell awful.

HOpe I make it another 6 days (and then another and another and another). :o

I find it became easier when I stopped counting the days. It is supposed to be the Easyway to stop smoking - I am beginning to really think that part of the brainwashing tobacco companies have developed is the myth about how difficult quitting is - quite a good way of keeping up sales me thinks.

Cheers BB

• 5 months later...

Just saw this forum in passing.

I read Easy Way to Stop Smoking after smoking for about 20 years.  That was 2 years ago.  It worked exactly as described.  I smoked my last cigarette and would now be more likely to eat a packet of cigarettes than put a lit cigarette in my mouth!  It was easy.  The best book I've read in my life.

The mystery is why people still talk about patches and will power...

Read it! Don't delay!! :o

I don't understand how people quit with this book. I read it in 2 days and it did not resonate with me at all. In fact I actually smoked more after I read it. I WISH it worked for me! I don't smoke much, only when drinking, but when I do I smoke a LOT. And I always feel like hel_l the next day. I would love more realistic tips on how to stop. Are there medications I can take to help?

I don't understand how people quit with this book. I read it in 2 days and it did not resonate with me at all. In fact I actually smoked more after I read it. I WISH it worked for me! I don't smoke much, only when drinking, but when I do I smoke a LOT. And I always feel like hel_l the next day. I would love more realistic tips on how to stop. Are there medications I can take to help?

It's like being wrapped around a sheet made of illusions and excuses for ourselves. That's why it doesn't work for some people BUT it could! There is nothing to lose, only to gain.

I have friends who smoke a sigarette a month or one sigarette a week and feel very proud thinking that they don't need to smoke. But they still are smokers though irregularly and like regular smokers can't stop.

The first question to myself would immediately be "why do I 'need' to smoke only on certain occasions?" If I'm honest with myself I'm already halfway toward the quitting stage.

What works for most people is that first of all they don't rely entirely on a book to stop smoking. Medications have a very low success rate.

You don't expect the book to hypnotise you and make you an ex-smoker. You have to really really WANT to stop and usually heavy smokers are much more motivated with this than drinking/occasional smokers. Also being optimistic is vital. My best piece of advice is: do not hope or wish that you could stop. WANT it and visualise it as if it had already happened.

I gave the book to a friend who gives people to think that he can control his smoking by taking regular breaks from it. A real illusionist.. He came back to me saying that the book was boring, repetitive, etc.. Well, the book is more than realistic than we think. It's very simple and logical. There is no catch. That's why it has a 97% success rate.

When I read the first book - the easy way to stop smoking - I 'gave up' for a couple of months, stuffed myself with junk food and felt very melancholic. I used the willpower basically, which hardly ever works. I was smoking even more because a feeling of failure mixed with fear had a strong grip on me and this was caused by the way I interpreted the book and it's one of the effects that tobacco has on most smokers. I still had doubts that I could be successful. I wasn't confident with myself, that's why it was easy to start and difficult to stop. I wasn't ready and was still punishing myself for various things by smoking.

Then I read the hard-core version: THE ONLY WAY TO STOP SMOKING PERMANENTLY. By the 6th chapter I was shaking as if I were balancing myself on a thin rope and was going to fall at any time. The right message was transferred directly to the right part of my brain. At some point I had to take responsibility for myself because nobody else would do it for me. So I 'jumped' to the ex-smokers side. I gave it a try this time with the determination to be happy and free. This was in 2002.

If most people can do it why can't you..? It's like letting yourself fall backwards in the certainty that there would be something soft to fall on.