The Book That Helped Me (and My Friend) Quit

engrin

I don't but I have the hard copy. It's a very thick book, not easy to copy either. Perhaps the easiest way is to order it through Amazon. If you are really interested in reading it I can see if I can get it copied and sent to you to Koh Tao where my friend lives. You are based in Koh P'Ngan, right?

There must be an electronic copy somewhere though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I really recommend this book to anyone trying to quit. Having watched others trying to quit using patches, pills and hypnotherapt I thought I'd never manage. However, I stuck this Allen Carr's audibook on my i-pod and listened to it on the bus a few times a day and before I knew it I'd quit. Don't even think about ciggies anymore and actually find it strange that for 16 years I was one of those people who spent loads of money deliberately screwing up my own health. Just give it a go - no effort needed but pretty remarkable results.

• 7 months later...
Thought I'd let you know that the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr helped me quit smoking, it's been about a month now. It also helped a friend of mine quit. He's been clean for a few months (he's the one who recommended it to me) :)

Good luck to everyone. The time to quit is NOW.

I smoked no less than a pack a day for the past 25 years. I have been smoke free for almost 2 weeks now after reading Allen Carr's book. it truly is the eay way to stop smoking! No supplements, no will power, nothing, just total freedom! RIP Allen Carr.

In 1982 I promised my wife if a certain event happened ( i knew it didn't have a snowballs chance of happening) I would quit smoking. Darned if it didn't happen and I said oh sh-it and quit cold turkey. Wasn't really that bad and I had been smoking 60 a day when I quit. A couple of years later my wife informed me that she didn't remember me making that promise, but wasn't about to tell me at the time.

It is not all that hard if you have more willpower than a cigarette, if you have to lie to yourself and say you will have one tomorrow but don't let tomorrow ever come.

Good luck and don't delay quitting, guarantee you will feel better.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read Mr Carr's book many years ago (even before Carr had died of lung cancer) and it did not help me at all. The only real message within the pages was that in order to quit, the smoker has to make the decision to never smoke again. Not just to wish it or desire it or want it, a cast iron decision has to be made.

In my case, hypnotism lasted 10 days.

Nicotine gum gave me hic-coughs.

I even resorted to accupuncture where pins were left in my ears and I was instructed to press on them when the desire for a smoke arose. That lasted less than two hours- which was the time that it took me to work out that the only logic to the whole business was that it is impossible to light up with your fingers stuck in your ears.

I couldn't keep the nicotine patches alight.

2 years ago, I was admitted to a hospital in Phuket, unable to breathe because my lungs had siezed up when inhaling my first fag of the day.

I have not smoked since.

A cast iron decision was made for me.

Good luck to all who decide to stop.

if you really cant buy the book where you are then I have a pdf file of the book i can send if anyone would like it.

i quit smoking 10 days ago :)

good luck to everyone and i think i still need a bit of luck myself

I would take you up on that offer. I live in Samut Sakohn where the farang are few and far between, and you can't even find the Nation or Bangkok Post because they are in English and there aren't enough customers to warrant stocking the papers.

If you are serious on the offer, please send to me. I will forever owe you one.

if you really cant buy the book where you are then I have a pdf file of the book i can send if anyone would like it.

i quit smoking 10 days ago :D

I would take you up on that offer. I live in Samut Sakohn where the farang are few and far between, and you can't even find the Nation or Bangkok Post because they are in English and there aren't enough customers to warrant stocking the papers.

If you are serious on the offer, please send to me. I will forever owe you one.

Feat - As the post about the file was nearly 3 years ago, you might want to PM the writer...he may no longer be around! Thought this thread would be more active, though I guess there's not much anyone can say other than to tell their stories - hopefully its quiet because you've all given up!

My own story goes thus - will-power, hypnoptherapy, patches, Champix, done 'em all...and the book. Thought I'd give the one-day Alan Carr group session a try in London which I did recently and that only kept me off for 27 hours and 17 minutes :) ...however, they offer a guarantee so Im going back. I can see the sense and purpose of both the book and session and I believe I'm just not 'getting it'; they seem to take it personally if you don't, credit to them...

Please send me the PDF File. I have been a very heavy smoker for 50 years and now Im getting desperate to quit. I just got over a bad dose of Pneumonia so Now I MUST Quit.

Please just send it to my email addy.

Cheers Tony.

Please send me the PDF File. I have been a very heavy smoker for 50 years and now Im getting desperate to quit. I just got over a bad dose of Pneumonia so Now I MUST Quit.

Cheers Tony.

I live in Cambodia & I cant buy the book here, all you can get here is cheap Cigs @ 30c a pack, so hard to quit at that price.

Cheers Tony

Read Carr's book a year ago - it was recommended by a "born again non-smoking evangelist". Didn't work for me, but it did work for other acquaintances. I think you need to be in a state of mind where you are really are ready to quit. The book will then help you to understand why you smoke, making the process that much easier.

Am I the only one who dreads the flight back to Europe, smokes 10 cigarettes in an hour before heading to the boarding gate, terrified of the flight without my fix, only to find that 11 hours without a cigarette is not the end of the world. Then, like a mug, I head for the nearest exit on arrival to smoke until I am dizzy!!!

I think that the secret is to mentally make the next cigarette every bit as impossible as it was on the flight.

My stop date is Monday 31st May. Will let you know how I get on. Maybe start a blog.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hardback copy. If anyone one wants it, send me a PM. I read it twice and but it did not work for me. I quit anyway three months ago after a hypnosis session. Had been smoking for over 20 years on a pack to a pack and a half a day. Quitting was so easy. Like has been said on this thread many many times, we have been brainwashed to believe it is difficult when it isn't.

Cheers Tony.

I wish goldenmile would send me the book in PDF as I can not buy it here, or anyone else that may have a copy.

Cheers Tony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A member here has sent me a PDF copy of Allen Carr Book. I will let you know how it goes. Like I have always said "You only fail when you stop trying"

Cheers Tony

Im almost finished the book and I am feeling positive about having that LAST puff tonight when I have finished the book. To become an ex smoker after 50 years of filling my body with poison, I guess it will feel like some kind of freedom.

Cheers Tony

A member here has sent me a PDF copy of Allen Carr Book. I will let you know how it goes. Like I have always said "You only fail when you stop trying"

Cheers Tony

Im almost finished the book and I am feeling positive about having that LAST puff tonight when I have finished the book. To become an ex smoker after 50 years of filling my body with poison, I guess it will feel like some kind of freedom.

Cheers Tony

Well I lasted 15 hours without a smoke, then just one will ease it...

Back to the book again.. let you know how it goes.

Cheers Tony

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm past 12 months without a cigarette this month, and the book mentioned had much to do with it.

Only area I had some difficulty was in pubs and bars being surrounded by other smokers, which is why it took a few attempts beforehand. Perhaps there was relevant sections of the book which would of assisted with this area if I read them again, but instead I settled on using a quick mental list of reasons why not whenever the cravings kicked in during a night out. It went something like:

1. It'll pass in a few minutes.

2. If I have one tonight I'm likely to have another one in the same night.

3. If I have one or more tonight, I'm likely to have another tomorrow or at least by the end of the week.

4. If I have one during the week, I'm likely to be a regular smoker again in about a months' time.

5. If I become a regular smoker, I'll be making up another load of silly BS reasons why I don't want to quit again.

I can still detect the smell of smoke (like most non-smokers I guess), but the desire to join in and light one up is pretty much nill. Never say never but can't see any reason for this to change now. It's hardly something I want.

Good luck to anybody else getting themselves off cigarettes. As much as you might think you want them now, after a few months without you'll realise it was just the "addiction" talking, real or perceived.

• 4 months later...
I bought the book and finished it this weekend. I am on day 3 now and looking forward to establishing myself as a non-smoker.

18 years of second hand smoke because of my mom.

20 years of off and on chewing tobacco

5 years of off and on smoking

Now 3 days as a non smoker in training for the second half of my life.

I'd say the book does very well to give you the tools to make the right decisions and choices.

Sorry,but you will NEVER be as you call it a 'non-smoker'.There are 3 typrs pf smokers.

1-Smoker

2-Non Smoker

3-EX-Smoker(this is what you will be should you stay off them,good luck btw!!

To me there is no great secret in giving up,if you want to stop and i mean WANT to stop you will,simple as end of...

I feel simply like a nonsmoker, not an ex smoker. Like I don't consider old girlfriends exes. The relationship is either over or changed.

Would you put exsmoker on your resume? Would you put ex boyfriend to 100s of women? Smoker Yes or No. Married, yes or no.

Maybe ex just seems so negative like there is a cloud over people who are exes.

Not me.

Yes it's not a positive state of mind labeling yourself an ex-smoker- like an ex-convict!

The lesson is learned why the agony???

The book "easy way" showed me the way off this insidious weed!

Ex-smoker is not an easy way! if you don't smoke in my book your a non-smoker, then your mind can go on to more positive pursuits in life.

So 100% with you Snake!

Damo'