Christmas Day Lunch

Farangdanny

For the last 40 years, 11 in Chiang Mai,I have cooked big Christmas Lunch with ALL the trimmings for at least  10 people. This year I want to go out for it. Where will the BEST Christmas Lunch, with ALL the trimmings (Crackers, dates, figs, Xmas pud, Rum Sauce, brandy butter, mince pies etc) be served.

In town, you can get a similar spread with ALL the Christmas foods from every possible culture at either Le Meridien or Anantara.  While usually I'm quite loyal to Le Meridien this type of meal, I must say that I prefer Anantara for Christmas day just because the setting is so pretty along the river, with the weather usually so pleasant except for that one year where we all nearly all froze to death.

33 minutes ago, NancyL said:

In town, you can get a similar spread with ALL the Christmas foods from every possible culture at either Le Meridien or Anantara.  While usually I'm quite loyal to Le Meridien this type of meal, I must say that I prefer Anantara for Christmas day just because the setting is so pretty along the river, with the weather usually so pleasant except for that one year where we all nearly all froze to death.

Anantara looks good but a little high @ 3K THB p/p. (including free flow of Chocolate Martini, sparkling wine, house wine, etc.)

Anantara is served buffet style, with many different types of stations.  Many items are cooked to order, not just sitting out on steam trays.  The serving staff is well-positioned, at the ready with bottles of wine and bubbly, keeping your glass topped up without your asking and quickly removing dirty dishes when you leave to make another food selection.  Nice live background music, too, but not too loud.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mat999 said:

We have done the Grandview Hotel near Maya twice. It is pretty good for 600 Baht. But we fancy a change this year. Any recommendations in a similar price range?

The Grand View lost their long-time chef who was well-trained in preparing Western foods about 3 years ago. He quit the day before Christmas. Since then, the food there has not been very good. We used to go regularly - about once a month for perhaps 8 years, but have only been back three times since that disappointing experience 3 years ago. All 3 times have been a disappointment. I doubt we would ever go back at this point.

8 hours ago, mat999 said:

We have done the Grandview Hotel near Maya twice. It is pretty good for 600 Baht. But we fancy a change this year. Any recommendations in a similar price range?

In that price range I would suggest Yummy out at Mai Hia, I believe they are doing 3 sittings.

If you haven't been there and want to check them out drop in Sunday lunch time and sample the roast dinner which is typically beef at 280baht or chicken and pork at 240. Excellent value.

I'm starting to turn my thoughts toward Christmas Dinner 2017 too! I'm quite happy to spend money on a decent buffet but would prefer somewhere with a beer-and-wine-included package as the price of a 2,000 Baht buffet can end up by spending twice that on ridiculously priced hotel plus-plus booze prices.  None of the hotels seem to be advertising these on their websites, but possibly that's due to Chiang Mai's puritanical alcohol prohibition laws.  Has anyone found a good buffet including alcoholic beverages?

Failing a good deal in the hotels I'll probably go to one of the pubs where the food is not as good but the drinks are cheaper. 

On 28/11/2017 at 7:09 AM, Mahseer said:

In that price range I would suggest Yummy out at Mai Hia, I believe they are doing 3 sittings.

If you haven't been there and want to check them out drop in Sunday lunch time and sample the roast dinner which is typically beef at 280baht or chicken and pork at 240. Excellent value.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is 750 for one of 4 sittings. Their promotional image seems to be a ham, which I never eat at Xmas, also quite far, so may keep on browsing. Or stick with Grandview which is half a mile away, with a film at Maya after.

12 hours ago, mat999 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, it is 750 for one of 4 sittings. Their promotional image seems to be a ham, which I never eat at Xmas, also quite far, so may keep on browsing. Or stick with Grandview which is half a mile away, with a film at Maya after.

Just for the record Yummy is definitely serving turkey.

Just got the Duke's promotional poster and while it looks like a fabulous meal, it also seems that their original Mae Ping location is the only branch offering the mealDukes xmas poster 2017.jpg.  Drats.  That restaurant will be crowded and noisy.  Much prefer the open atmospheres of their Maya and Promenada locations.

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

Just got the Duke's promotional poster and while it looks like a fabulous meal, it also seems that their original Mae Ping location is the only branch offering the mealDukes xmas poster 2017.jpg.  Drats.  That restaurant will be crowded and noisy.  Much prefer the open atmospheres of their Maya and Promenada locations.

No roast lamb, not even roast potatoes, so I won't be going there.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how much Big C are charging this year for their poultry on rice offering? You'll be surrounded by smiling Thais and beer girls.

I had contemplated spending 3k THB on poultry and veggies surrounded by miserable old farang gits, but feel suicide would be more enjoyable.

Archived