‘Violent attack’ in Brit tourist’s plea for fundraising exposed as fake

snoop1130

53 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

And the money he stole from the rooms he was ransacking at the resort before he had to make a quick exit over the balcony?

Where does this information come from, ransacked rooms and stole money ?

The OP says

“Also, CCTV from the resort shows the couple arriving in the lobby, then Mr Laverty goes up to the first floor and starts checking doors while walking along the balcony,” Capt Ekkachai noted.

Is there another newspaper report that says this ?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Just goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover. Ex Army Veteran!

You would of thought he could of dreamed up a better cover than the crap he and his other half came out with. 

I hope the tabloids run with this tomorrow and no doubt waiting at the airport when they return later. 

Pair of scumbags. Who needs friends like them!

What does serving in the army have anything to do with it? Serving in the army in this day and age, has very little to do with protecting your country, more to do with risking your life for a corrupt and evil government, raping and pillaging lesser off nations. Not sure why that would make someone noble 

13 hours ago, oldgent said:

well well well truth always comes out in the end. they haven,t got away yet

story and photo,s all over the place, well done to the police they are not as stupid as

people make out

"One Swallow does not a summer make." Aristotle (384 BCE - 322 BCE) :coffee1:

Happy the thief was exposed.

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I love the "chinese wispers" aspects of these threads.

He was trying to open some doors at the hotel has somehow turned into he was robbing, ransacking rooms, looking for money. He may have been drunk and looking for a bathroom. Even if his intent was to rob rooms, he didn't actually go into any rooms or steal anything.

He did pay the Hospitial bill, the OP clearly states this fact.

I guess you and I have different viewpoints on human behavior.

I don't think there is any reason for someone to be walking along a quiet first floor  balcony of a strange hotel opening doors other than an intention to rob! Their own hotel is more than a kilometer from the Thera Resort where he was.

Being drunk or looking for a toilet doesn't provide sufficient reason for his actions.

Firstly hotels have toilets in their lobbies. Secondly. what was wrong with the bar toilet his wife stated she was visiting?

Thirdly, why did his wife initially state that she went to look for him in the resort when the lie they later came up with had him nowhere near that resort?

If their intentions were innocent, other than insurance scam, why not invent a balcony accident? Why did he decide to jump from the balcony as if fleeing after being disturbed while committing a crime? Why did they flee the country as soon as he could physically do so?.

Make all the excuses you like for these thieves, but more astute people will see the most likely scenario. 

So, it turned out to be an investigation of the insurance company anyway. As people before told me it was not. 
It also turned out that this quality a-h of a tourist shouldn´t have any money paid out. Hope he get caught in Dubai for his next scam. I´ve heard they have a little bit more suitable punishment there.

55 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

He was trying to open some doors at the hotel has somehow turned into he was robbing, ransacking rooms, stealing money. He may have been drunk and looking for a bathroom. Even if his intent was to rob rooms, he didn't actually go into any rooms or steal anything.

He did pay the Hospitial bill, the OP clearly states this fact.

He was trying to open doors from the balcony (not just some doors), and he slipped on the hand railed. They weren't even check-in to that hotel and was instead staying at another hotel. Thieves and scammers. Why else would anybody tried to go to another hotel where they are not guests and try to open doors? You do that for fun? :smile:

If he didn't pay, the hospital would not have let the leave, they must have known their story didn't add up as the police did question them several times and their story was fishy.

"Also, CCTV from the resort shows the couple arriving in the lobby, then Mr Laverty goes up to the first floor and starts checking doors while walking along the balcony,” Capt Ekkachai noted.

The CCTV footage then shows Mr Laverty placing a foot on top of the balcony rail before launching himself over the side. Capt Ekkachai noted that the couple were not even guests at the Thara Patong Beach Resort & Spa. Instead, they were staying at the Swissôtel Resort Phuket Patong Beach."

34 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If their intentions were innocent, other than insurance scam, why not invent a balcony accident? Why did he decide to jump from the balcony as if fleeing after being disturbed while committing a crime? Why did they flee the country as soon as he could physically do so?.

Make all the excuses you like for these thieves, but more astute people will see the most likely scenario. 

Yes, as it didnt seem to be a well thought out insurance scam , that probably wasnt the initial plan .

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

He was trying to open some doors at the hotel has somehow turned into he was robbing, ransacking rooms, stealing money. He may have been drunk and looking for a bathroom. Even if his intent was to rob rooms, he didn't actually go into any rooms or steal anything.

Was there any mention of anyone else being involved ?

Possible scenarios :

He meets a woman and wants a rendezvous with her , he tells her to book a room at that resort , he cannot enter ,as no guests allowed , he then climbs up to the balcony and looks for the room or an open door to get into the resort and then slips ?

A disgrace to his country and his regiment (if he was ever in one) - The Sun should put his name and picture front and centre in an investigative piece entitled “The Brits who shame us abroad”. Mind you, it would be a pretty long piece.....

4 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Where are all the Thai bashers  now

all those ex-pats threatening on this news scam getting ready to leave in their droves 

egg on their faces comes to mind

They all left Thailand on the next available flight, this was the "final nail in the coffin" ,"its just not safe here anymore" , "its not like how it used to be" "These kind of things happen everyday , these days" , "its just not safe to walk the streets" "Thais everywhere with guns shooting felangs" , they all got on the next available flight to Dubai , probably on the same flight as Mik and his Mrs 

15 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Just goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover. Ex Army Veteran!

You would of thought he could of dreamed up a better cover than the crap he and his other half came out with. 

I hope the tabloids run with this tomorrow and no doubt waiting at the airport when they return later. 

Pair of scumbags. Who needs friends like them!

You also have to wonder if he is in fact ex-services.  Could have added this to make the appeal more appealing?

15 hours ago, CARBO said:

A pity to believers and sympathizers of the first story. What a scam!

First of all a pity for this Mr and Mrs Michael Laverty,  such a story would never come to mind honest people, ever! :whistling:Pffffff

Can we that knew there was something wrong with this story now expect apologies from those that accused us of "victim blaming" etc etc etc? I'm not holding my breath though.

I hope this is a lesson to those that claim armed muggings on streets full of people in Thailand are common, and they remember how wrong they were before posting such rubbish again.

14 hours ago, oldgent said:

im sorry i read your post I just had a vision of the wife on the loo. Don,t think i,ll buy the book

or watch the film

From another oldgent , yes a film with a large ferlung sitting on the loo and saying " He said to me go ooooeragh , thats a hard piece , every 2 mins for 10 mins , now I have folk banging on the door , ah , I hear the ambulance , time to up drawers and leave "

Can't see many oscars coming for that.

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

So many "Thailand is not safe, and this is a classic example" bashers on the main thread, must be eating their words now ! :passifier:

to the contrary, they have simply moved on to other threads.

True

5 minutes ago, David in the north said:

This has of course made the UK newspapers. Apparently friends & others gave generously to the crowd fund. Now they know it is a scam - next time someone is genuinely in need of help - hands will be very reluctant to reach in to pockets or wallets!

True  I could not agree more Bad scams affect good intention funds

In Australia the biggest Scam was when people were ripping off the workers compensation board In Queensland They nearly sent it broke So they had to bring in tough laws where you nearly had to be dead to get money out of them. In doing so the people who ripped off the board made it hard for  genuine cases. Just bloody greed. I know because i was a genuine case and had to fight very hard to get justice done  I was burnt to 54% of my body 3rd degree in a work explosion. So sorry if my feelings are of total hatred of these scammers and i hope they get locked up And yes i am very reluctant to give to any fund.

Archived