Four foreign tourists dead as van slams in to turning 10 wheel truck

snoop1130

Four foreign tourists dead as van slams in to turning 10 wheel truck

erty.JPG

As many as four foreign tourists died and several more were injured as a van slammed into the back of a ten wheel truck turning into a quarry in Bang Pa-In, Ayutthaya yesterday afternoon.

The van crumpled and burst into flames trapping the tourists inside.

The four tourists - whose names and nationalities were not reported by Daily News - were on their way from Bangkok to visit the old city of Ayutthaya.

Thai Rath reported that five were dead and said they were all Asian tourists - two men and three women. They added that documents in Japanese were found in the wreckage.

Suphasit Sudadech of Bang Pa-In police arrived on the scene to find the white van with Bangkok plates ablaze and the Nonthaburi  truck parked nearby.

Police said that the truck was turning on Route 347, the Pathum Thani to Bang Pahan road in the direction of Bang Pahan. The truck slowed and the van was unable to stop and went into the back of the truck.

The van driver survived and is in hospital in a serious condition. He was named as Wirachai Reuangsri. 

Police will be interviewing him, the driver of the truck and witnesses to ascertain what actually happened. 

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/608942 and https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1120674

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-8

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've all seen the way these damn vans drive. They even manage to drive recklessly on a clear straight road swerving all over the shop. There's just no awareness that the way they drive is anything but normal in there eyes. 

Fat chance of anything changing when from the driving test to the enforcement of the law on the road, NOBODY does their blasted job.

RIP. 

22 minutes ago, balo said:

You would think Japanese tourists could afford a private driver , or just take the VIP bus. Those van drivers are the worst , avoid at all costs. 

You would think someone would NOT blame the dead for the simple action of catching a bus..  Stupid comment, please think before posting in such threads..

39 minutes ago, jwalt421 said:

And yet... the driver survived. Hopefully long enough to go to prison for vehicular manslaughter. But that's probably not a thing in the LoS. Typical...

Is it me or does anyone else feel an imminent 'brake failure' defence coming on?

1 hour ago, 01322521959 said:

We've all seen the way these damn vans drive. They even manage to drive recklessly on a clear straight road swerving all over the shop. There's just no awareness that the way they drive is anything but normal in there eyes. 

Fat chance of anything changing when from the driving test to the enforcement of the law on the road, NOBODY does their blasted job.

RIP. 

I always find it amusing (facetiously) when I have some <deleted> (Van driver or private car) almost take off my bonnet during a sudden lane change, slalom run, reckless driving episode...and then 10 min later I still happen to be within 50m of the same car (sometimes they're behind me lol). What was the point?

Updated : Four Japanese and a Thai guide killed as minivan rams truck

11e54fefc6426b74e395ec96402fa241-sld.jpe

Five people were killed and one injured when a minivan rammed into the rear of a running truck in Ayutthaya’s Bangpain district on Wednesday.

The van was reportedly carrying four Japanese and a Thai guide, besides the driver. The van caught fire soon after it crashed into the rear of the truck.

Rescue workers who rushed to the scene put out the fire and helped out the injured passenger. The minivan belonged to RL Service Co, Ltd.

JS 100 Traffic Radio said  the victims were four Japanese; Kumiko Komeima, 59, Yoshio Komeima, 68, Katsuhiko Narimoto, 65 and Haruka Narimoto, as well as a Thai guide, Piyathip Kruengtai, 35.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331161

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-09

7 hours ago, jwalt421 said:

And yet... the driver survived. Hopefully long enough to go to prison for vehicular manslaughter. But that's probably not a thing in the LoS. Typical...

The norm is community service at your choice location...  sanctioned by the highest levels of the justice system.

Mercifully it's over for them but I feel for the victims, injured and trapped in a burning minivan. Nightmare scenario and one I often envisaged for myself in the old days, when I was using vans regularly, the drivers were even more manic and the vans designed for midgets - talk about extreme sports! Wonder if the surviving passenger was sitting beside the driver; would explain why they survived and the other five didn't; horrible way to die if it was the flames did it.

Tail gating at high speed probable cause....

that at said other factors do play into preventing accidents...

did  the truck driver use his indicator turn signal? So drivers here do not use or after they start turning which defeats the whole purpose of it....

did the truck driver move over into the motorcycle lane to make the turn in advance? This is a biggie as so often Thais turn at left or right angles w/o getting off the main road meaning coming to a stop or near stop from a fast moving lane? This one is a huge problem here - not knowing how to properly exit from a hi speed road  to help prevent an accident...another example of not understanding road conditions and your role in a system....

Archived