6 Year waiver is up. What can I do?

Jimjim1968

I have 18 months left before my waiver is up. Then, if I want to teach in a school, I would have to do a course (2 years, 250,000B +)

I have a wife and child (Thai) and nearly 50.

I'm trying to weigh up my options;

1. Do the course.

2. Teach in a language center or online.

3. Move to another country.

It's a really tough situation to be in. I've been teaching here for 15+ years.

Grateful for any pointers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do your savings look like ? You are near 50, does that mean you have the means to retire at 50 ? 

If not, then plan on how long you need to work to meet that goal. Many guys here , especially ones that came here at a younger age and stayed, have nothing in the way of a plan or any savings. Licensing issues aside nobody can work forever....think seriously about that plan.

It may mean that you need to move back to your home country and get a job to build some savings for retirement first. If you think that teaching will allow you to save enough for retirement  by age 60, then you have 2 choices...get your cert or teach at a language school...but you must save money until it hurts. If you think you cannot do that...there is no point at staying here and teaching at all..and you need a better path.

24 minutes ago, aidenai said:

1 year of study and costs about 60,000 THB.

That is good news. I was quoted from Assumption University of Thailand.

Do you have details for this?

I do have savings and my wife is a government teacher. The option does exist that she opens a language center and I work for her, as some friends have done. It's far from a lost cause. And I still have 18 months to prepare.

Also these days online teaching is paying more than a lot of school salaries.

I have always enjoyed teaching here and I have always been happy here. The school secretary spent a lot of her own time investigating this ( she is an ex-PA and very switched on). Many people believe it only to government schools, but it is private schools as well. And some friends in other parts of the country seem to not be applicable to this as yet.

9 hours ago, pearciderman said:

The rules for licensing have been around for at least 4 years, (and probably far longer). Your lack of drive and planning is not a reason for a question here, it is a reason for you to look in a mirror and question yourself.

It would be appreciated if you post constructively or not post at all.

Over the years, teachers have seen regulations come and go and change.   So, many people failed to take the licensing of Teachers seriously, including a lot of schools who are now dependent on hiring teachers who are working illegally.  

Hindsight is 20/20, but I suspect you already knew that.  

It was always the policy that persons who have been teaching in Thailand since before 2003 can get a teaching license based on that. Does that policy no longer exist?  You do would need to do the infamous Thai Cultural course, but that is it.

59 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Well you should have known that it wouldn't last,maybe it is time to look for a REAL Job,,,,Easy street has a dead end,,,,,

You mean, something really manly, where you can build those muscles and develop a knuckle head while making loads of money to stash away until you can drink it away in retirement?

I agree, far better than helping upcountry kids whose families have little money towards a better future.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Well you should have known that it wouldn't last,maybe it is time to look for a REAL Job,,,,Easy street has a dead end,,,,,

38 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

You mean, something really manly, where you can build those muscles and develop a knuckle head while making loads of money to stash away until you can drink it away in retirement?

I agree, far better than helping upcountry kids whose families have little money towards a better future.

Or maybe he means that a REAL job is something you hate doing and makes you want to stay in bed. It's not a REAL job if you're happy doing it?????

I did a PGCEi with the University of Nottingham (Graduated Dec 2016). I used the cert to get a 5 years teacher's license. The course cost around 3k UK pounds. It is one year long, you have a 3-4 day face to face in BKK and then the rest is distance learning online.

The course is great and it sounds like you enjoy teaching so it might be very useful to you also as it puts a lot of your practice into perspective.

Good luck with it all

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

5555 poor excuse ,Don't they say ,Look after you're self First

14 minutes ago, digger70 said:

5555 poor excuse ,Don't they say ,Look after you're self First

"Poor excuse" exactly what I and I'm guessing some other people think of your comments and therefore, you

22 hours ago, Jimjim1968 said:

That is good news. I was quoted from Assumption University of Thailand.

Do you have details for this?

I do have savings and my wife is a government teacher. The option does exist that she opens a language center and I work for her, as some friends have done. It's far from a lost cause. And I still have 18 months to prepare.

Also these days online teaching is paying more than a lot of school salaries.

I have always enjoyed teaching here and I have always been happy here. The school secretary spent a lot of her own time investigating this ( she is an ex-PA and very switched on). Many people believe it only to government schools, but it is private schools as well. And some friends in other parts of the country seem to not be applicable to this as yet.

Jimjim, one option would be to try to obtain employment as a "Native speaking consultant" especially at university level. As a consultant, there is no requirement of having a Krusapa waiver / licence. You may be able to talk to your current employers to see if it's possible for them to change your employment contract to state this and that way, stay with your current school and students. In saying this, that was the case up to about 6 months ago. Obviously laws change quickly and you'd need to check if this is still the case.
Another option would be to sit the TCT teacher's examinations. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

13 hours ago, Lucky mike said:

hell he only asked for some help !  If you can't help why comment ?   Hands up those of you that have never made a mistake......good luck....

Well said Lucky Mike, I am lucky too and worked my arse off for years to be this lucky. 

Good luck to you Jim Jim, teaching is a truly great calling and you may be shaping the future of some wonderfully lucky children. 

Check out the course and keep teaching. 

10 hours ago, Lopchan said:

Jimjim, one option would be to try to obtain employment as a "Native speaking consultant" especially at university level. As a consultant, there is no requirement of having a Krusapa waiver / licence. You may be able to talk to your current employers to see if it's possible for them to change your employment contract to state this and that way, stay with your current school and students. In saying this, that was the case up to about 6 months ago. Obviously laws change quickly and you'd need to check if this is still the case.
Another option would be to sit the TCT teacher's examinations. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.

If you work at a university there is no requirement for a Krusapa licence anyway, whatever your job title, they come under OHEC, not OBEC.

The exams have not been run for years.

On 11/10/2017 at 3:29 AM, Scott said:

Over the years, teachers have seen regulations come and go and change.   So, many people failed to take the licensing of Teachers seriously, including a lot of schools who are now dependent on hiring teachers who are working illegally.  

This is why most schools now have a majority of Philipino teachers - and some schools aren;t prepared to pay the high salaries demanded by qualified native-speaking teachers. Most of the non-native speakers can qualify for the full teacher's licence, so it makes life for the school much easier when they want to keep teachers long-term. Many the Western teachers had to leave or find alternative employment. 

It would be worth for the OP to contact the TCT and find out now, which courses would be accepted by them for qualifying for the full teacher's licence. I would think the course can be done over a year and be much less than 100K. 

I would think a PGCEi (UK) would also qualify a one for the Thai teacher's licence. 

14 hours ago, Lopchan said:

That option was abandoned 5 years ago.

8 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It would be worth for the OP to contact the TCT and find out now, which courses would be accepted by them for qualifying for the full teacher's licence. I would think the course can be done over a year and be much less than 100K. 

IFUGAO provides such a graduate diploma in teaching course. One year of study and around 60,000 THB.

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I would think a PGCEi (UK) would also qualify a one for the Thai teacher's licence. 

Two foreign teachers I personally know received the TCT teacher license with this qualification. It costs a 140,000 THB though.

Please don't misconstrue my remarks to think that I, in any way, support the way many of the schools have or are handling the situation with licensing and employing teachers. 

Many schools have done very little to help good teachers and loyal employees to become fully legal and qualified to teach.   Some will not amend the school times, dates or schedules to accommodate those trying to better themselves and the profession, even when such changes could be accomplished with little or no inconvenience to the school.  

The onus, of course, is on the teacher in the end, but schools and the country can only benefit from it.   Sadly, they have chosen not to in many, many cases.  

3 hours ago, pearciderman said:

If you work at a university there is no requirement for a Krusapa licence anyway, whatever your job title, they come under OHEC, not OBEC.

Definitely this.

I have worked with dozens of foreign teachers over the years, none of whom have had to obtain a Krusapa license.  All taught at tertiary institutions in Thailand.  It may require you to relocate, but at least you can remain in Thailand.  

I've seen a few teach with only a high school diploma, several with only a partial undergraduate education, but most with a bachelor degree.  Among tertiary educational institutions that are on a lower tier (think "Rajhabahts" and vocational colleges), especially upcountry, hiring standards are very loose and inconsistent, so there's room for just about anyone (which, of course, has its pros and cons).  

With your 15+ years of already having taught in Thailand (even at a lower grade level such as high school or upper elementary), I think you would be a shoe-in for dozens of available positions. 

Best of luck. 

30 minutes ago, Scott said:

Please don't misconstrue my remarks to think that I, in any way, support the way many of the schools have or are handling the situation with licensing and employing teachers. 

Many schools have done very little to help good teachers and loyal employees to become fully legal and qualified to teach.   Some will not amend the school times, dates or schedules to accommodate those trying to better themselves and the profession, even when such changes could be accomplished with little or no inconvenience to the school.  

The onus, of course, is on the teacher in the end, but schools and the country can only benefit from it.   Sadly, they have chosen not to in many, many cases.  

Also, I don't know of one teacher who was given a raise when they got the full qualification (certainly, none at my school were).  5K / month would be a nice sweetener and help recover the cost of the course. Too bad the schools and TCT took an "up to you attitude" to getting qualified. 

4 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Definitely this.

I have worked with dozens of foreign teachers over the years, none of whom have had to obtain a Krusapa license.  All taught at tertiary institutions in Thailand.  It may require you to relocate, but at least you can remain in Thailand.  

I've seen a few teach with only a high school diploma, several with only a partial undergraduate education, but most with a bachelor degree.  Among tertiary educational institutions that are on a lower tier (think "Rajhabahts" and vocational colleges), especially upcountry, hiring standards are very loose and inconsistent, so there's room for just about anyone (which, of course, has its pros and cons).  

With your 15+ years of already having taught in Thailand (even at a lower grade level such as high school or upper elementary), I think you would be a shoe-in for dozens of available positions. 

Best of luck. 

Sadly many not all, are becoming more selective.. .as it is a buyer market...   However, when you reach 60 then the fun begins... as they may show you the door.

On 11/10/2017 at 3:29 AM, Scott said:

In all fairness Scott, any teacher who does not realize there will be continued and increased qualifications required for certified teachers, needs to go back to school.

19 hours ago, smotherb said:

In all fairness Scott, any teacher who does not realize there will be continued and increased qualifications required for certified teachers, needs to go back to school.

You say this but surely there is a distinction between state qualified/certified teacher and what most teachers in Thailand do: teach English as a second language and usually just conversational English.  The latter only really requires that the teacher be suitably qualified with a CELTA or equivalent.

Incidentally, I now know a few teachers who are working full time informally.  Currently there is an amnesty of sorts, but after the new year there could be that most rare of things in Thailand: a crackdown! :smile:

On 11/11/2017 at 6:45 AM, pearciderman said:

The situation in reality is not so clear cut.  Most Thai managers will immediately state that a License/ waiver is legally mandatory.  Even private institutions such as the weekend schools believe the same.  They are explicitly informed of this by the authorities and though the law - or at least one part of it- states differently, mostly it is not interpreted this way.

Archived