6 Year waiver is up. What can I do?

Jimjim1968

On 11/16/2017 at 9:12 AM, jenny2017 said:

Not true. University lectures are usually called Ajarn, while primary and high school teachers are Khun Kru.

Also monks are called Ajarn. 

University teachers (and where i come from highschool teachers) are called ajarn and elementary teachers Kru. But I do indeed many university teachers that prefer the term Kru. The way understood it is that Kru signifies a teacher, while ajarn is more an instructor which anyone can be.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Preacher said:

University teachers (and where i come from highschool teachers) are called ajarn and elementary teachers Kru. But I do indeed many university teachers that prefer the term Kru. The way understood it is that Kru signifies a teacher, while ajarn is more an instructor which anyone can be.

Even in Muay Thai, you've got the different titles. A Kru is an ordinary teacher, while an Ajarn is a sort of "Master teacher", or lecturer at a university.

Not anyone can be an Ajarn, even when Thais often call "ordinary teachers" Ajarn, just to point out their social status. 

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Even in Muay Thai, you've got the different titles. A Kru is an ordinary teacher, while an Ajarn is a sort of "Master teacher", or lecturer at a university.

Not anyone can be an Ajarn, even when Thais often call "ordinary teachers" Ajarn, just to point out their social status. 

I'm a "teacher........." or "Dr........" to my school students; but I'm an "ajarn" "or "Dr........"to my wife's (academic) colleagues. Probably as I have a PhD. I've never been called "Kru" by anyone. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I'm a "teacher........." or "Dr........" to my school students; but I'm an "ajarn" "or "Dr........"to my wife's (academic) colleagues. Probably as I have a PhD. I've never been called "Kru" by anyone. 

Khru means a lot more than just a teacher. It kind means that you take the student under your wing, .

Although I don't think it is the OP's preference to relocate, has he considered teaching in Myanmar?

I have been teaching EFL off and on in Myanmar since 2012. I do not have QTS, PGCE, PGCEi etc

That being said, I have a very secure (and enjoyable) teaching job in Myanmar with ILBC School, which has about 20 branches located throughout the country. Their employment package (salary + accommodation) is about 100,000 baht/month.

I gave up teaching in Thailand because of the low salaries (if one doesn't have a B.Ed), the requirement to have a teaching licence, the time 'wasted' on activities related to Country, Religion and King (no insult intended), and the blatant age discrimination against employing older teachers (I'm 58 years old).

ILBC will have vacancies for English teachers to start from the new school year - June 2018. They will definitely have vacancies in both Yangon and Mandalay (because I know of some teachers who will be leaving those locations).

30 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Although I don't think it is the OP's preference to relocate, has he considered teaching in Myanmar?

I have been teaching EFL off and on in Myanmar since 2012. I do not have QTS, PGCE, PGCEi etc

That being said, I have a very secure (and enjoyable) teaching job in Myanmar with ILBC School, which has about 20 branches located throughout the country. Their employment package (salary + accommodation) is about 100,000 baht/month.

I gave up teaching in Thailand because of the low salaries (if one doesn't have a B.Ed), the requirement to have a teaching licence, the time 'wasted' on activities related to Country, Religion and King (no insult intended), and the blatant age discrimination against employing older teachers (I'm 58 years old).

ILBC will have vacancies for English teachers to start from the new school year - June 2018. They will definitely have vacancies in both Yangon and Mandalay (because I know of some teachers who will be leaving those locations).

I wish I had learned about this 2or 3 years ago (I'm 59 now) and retired 2 or 3 years early for the same reasons you cited.....absurdly low salaries for chasing unruly kids around the room and standing in the hot sun for hours while they celebrate some government pronouncement or listen to the director spout off while the students play on their phones.

If not for the fact that I now am 'involved' for the long haul with someone who has a great career here I would jump in a heartbeat. I hope others can take advantage of the info. Thanks Simon.

Hi Tonray, since I started teaching in Myanmar in 2012, I have never experienced any age discrimination. I know NES teachers who are teaching at 65 years old and even up to 70 years old.

This may of course, be because it is difficult to find young NES teachers who are willing to stay in Myanmar for more than a year. Living in Myanmar can be a shock to the system for some teachers, and they are unwilling to put up with the power cuts, unreliable internet, lack of supply of consumer products etc (the situation is improving in Yangon).

I'm very happy with my employment here. I will probably retire back to Thailand in the future, but I'm saving $2,000 into my bank account each month, which would be impossible to do in Thailand.

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hi Tonray, since I started teaching in Myanmar in 2012, I have never experienced any age discrimination. I know NES teachers who are teaching at 65 years old and even up to 70 years old.

This may of course, be because it is difficult to find young NES teachers who are willing to stay in Myanmar for more than a year. Living in Myanmar can be a shock to the system for some teachers, and they are unwilling to put up with the power cuts, unreliable internet, lack of supply of consumer products etc (the situation is improving in Yangon).

I'm very happy with my employment here. I will probably retire back to Thailand in the future, but I'm saving $2,000 into my bank account each month, which would be impossible to do in Thailand.

And the very best of luck to you.  It is something I am considering, but I have a family and property here.  Still, the deal here in Thailand is quite lousy, and on top of this they want qualifications beyond the norm for TEFL teaching.

Archived