Whirly Bird Roof Ventilation

4MyEgo

Hi Guys

I just put in two Whirly Birds on the back roof, (original) section of our house and they work great in sucking the hot air out from the attic as I knew they would, having had them back in Oz.

I purchased these in Udon Thani and put them on the same tiles in the picture below as they came with a mould the same as our tiles, so we just took out one tile and slipped the Whirly Bird in, however the new section of the house has flat concrete tiles, does anyone know or have seen Whirly Birds with a flat type of mould that the Whirly Bird sits on for sale, as opposed to the ridged type of tile in photo (1) below.

I would like to buy a few for the new section of the house, unfortunately the people at Udon Thani who sell them, don't sell anything else but the ones with the mould that fit the roof tile in the picture below, i.e. ridged type tile.

Worse case scenario I suppose I can get our local builder to weld some sheet metal in the shape of a flat tile and weld it to the Whirly Bird, then cut a large hole in the tile, then cut a hole in the reflective thermal insulation to allow the air to escape from the attic through the Whirly Bird, i.e. unless anyone has seen what I am looking for in the Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nong Kae areas.

Cheers

Photo (1) we do not have a metal base, its made out of a mould of some kind of hard rubber

Image result for whirlybird

Photo (2) might have to end up with something like this 

Image result for whirlybird

3 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

I had these at the first house I built in Ubon. Get your builder to raise up a section on your flat roof to fit the exhaust fans on to. Just needs a little bit on site preparation to fit these fans on. I had three exhaust fans (whirly birds) all on a flat base. 

This is something I would like to do. I have the concrete wavy tiles but I worry about the rainy season. Do they keep the rain all out? Thanks.

tile.JPG

On 10/11/2017 at 12:21 AM, thequietman said:

This is something I would like to do. I have the concrete wavy tiles but I worry about the rainy season. Do they keep the rain all out? Thanks.

tile.JPG

You shouldn't have a problem as the back (original section) of the house has those wavy tiles, you just take on out and insert the mould with the Whirly Bird screwed into the metal part and slip it in its place, and yes they do get the heat out of a pitched roof regardless of what anyone tells you differently, we have noticed the difference already, and its not because its winter here in the provinces.

On 13/11/2017 at 9:28 AM, Martyjustice said:

The only downside to the roof turbines are after 10 years or so the bearings start to go out. I thought I had mice in the attic, but it was the turbines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap enough to replace at 150 baht per year over 10 years, even if they doubled in price

Archived