Weller Solder Station in BKK?

OliverKlozerof

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

RS can supply, but the prices may frighten!

http://th.rs-online.com/web/c/tools/soldering-desoldering-tools/soldering-stations/?searchTerm=weller

I brought my WTCP 51 from the UK, still going strong, Weller are simply the best.

I'd buy the Amazon one, except it's 120v for USA. Hmm...maybe Amazon UK would have it in 220v version?

3 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I'd buy the Amazon one, except it's 120v for USA. Hmm...maybe Amazon UK would have it in 220v version?

Perhaps closest to the US version...but seller doesn't ship to Thailand :-(
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-T0056806399N-Temperature-Controlled-Soldering/dp/B0001P17EW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510313880&sr=8-2&keywords=weller+soldering+station

Moving and changing countries like I do, I've probably owned 50 different soldering guns, irons and sticks and never had one that failed while I owned it (except a Weller that I dropped from height).  In the USA, I owned Wellers.  Since moving to Asia, I buy the local brands for 1/4 to 1/8 the price and haven't had one fail me yet.  (Edit:  On an aside, I looked in China for a Weller, couldn't find one, settled for a local brand- and haven't looked back in 17 years)

My suggestion:  Go to Lazada.com (Click on the "shipped from Thailand" option) if you want one shipped from Thailand, or AliExpress.com if you can wait for delivery from China.  Save 75%.  If you burn one up, then go to the Wellers.  I'm betting you'll never have to. 

It's not like a soldering iron and a rheostat are rocket science...  And chicks aren't impressed by any of them.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Since moving to Asia, I buy the local brands for 1/4 to 1/8 the price and haven't had one fail me yet.  (Edit:  On an aside, I looked in China for a Weller, couldn't find one, settled for a local brand- and haven't looked back in 17 years)

My suggestion:  Go to Lazada.com (Click on the "shipped from Thailand" option) if you want one shipped from Thailand, or AliExpress.com if you can wait for delivery from China.  Save 75%.  If you burn one up, then go to the Wellers.  I'm betting you'll never have to. 

It's not like a soldering iron and a rheostat are rocket science...  And chicks aren't impressed by any of them.

I definitely appreciate the spirit of what you're saying, which I take to be, 'Why pay more when you can get a cheaper model that works just as well.'
Some background:
I've been a guitar player all my life. I've done a little soldering over the years (cable jacks, a 'snake' to front of house PA console...). I just ordered a tube amp kit from the US, which I will hopefully receive in a couple weeks. I've never soldered at this level before. (Inside the chassis it's quite tight and I need to work with precision.) On the amp forums, the entry level Weller soldering station was highly recommended. I currently have a pistol-shaped Mitsumi (probably got it in Fortune Town some years ago?). All the ones the amp guys use are 'pencil' type. I can definitely see where the spiral 'holster' for the pencil iron will be necessary. And being able to turn the heat up (for, for example, soldering to the back of a potentiometer), would also be needed.
My pistol-shaped Mitsumi may actually do the job, but since I need some other tools (the 'holster,' sponge, die cutters, hemostat, etc.), I may as well get one I *know* will do the job well. Everyone who's been here a few years has heard the expression, 'TIT' (This Is Thailand). Though I could well be wrong, it certainly seems possible I could just go to Ban Mo and pick up something that looks similar to the basic Weller station and it might be fine.  But, after looking at one a friend offered me for free (a "Proskit' brand), everything about it looks cheap (for example, the iron itself is very thin; the insulator that keeps the heat off your fingers looks inadequate).
So, though I don't want to spend more than necessary, I want to 'get it right the first time' with a time tested brand. After this first amp kit, my plan is to continue building tube amps. I want a tool that doesn't merely melt solder, but which is a pleasure to use. But right, I could care less if chicks dig it. ;-)

15 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I definitely appreciate the spirit of what you're saying, which I take to be, 'Why pay more when you can get a cheaper model that works just as well.'
Some background:

And I understand the brand loyalty, but I spent 10 years sourcing industrial and other goodies in China, visiting hundreds of factories in the process, virtually living at some for months at a time.

Without going into great detail, I no longer shop brands.  I shop build quality.  I've seen too many factories put out the same goods in the morning with one label on them, then putting out the same goods in the afternoon with a different label for a market that's 1/2 the price.  Sure, you can find junk from China.  But if you look a little harder you can also find high quality stuff- and many times cheaper and easier than the name brands- especially in Thailand.

And too many western companies have absolutely thrashed their brands by selling several price points, with the lower price point items being absolute junk.  Stanley, Black and Decker, Shimano (and many others) come to mind.  Their brand names used to be a guaranty of quality.  No longer.

I don't know Weller's story, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out they have their stuff built in the same factories.  Some do it because they have to, in order to stay competitive.  Others do it because they can sell a cheaply sourced product at a premium price because of a legacy reputation.

It's your money, so spend it the way you want.  I do.  

Unless you're going to give it a pro hammering I would agree with Impulse, there is some very good "amateur" kit that will do the job well and will certainly be up to building your kit and any other domestic jobs in hand.

My traveling box has a simple Hakko Presto dual heat iron which came from NPE, simple and effective (and lighter to lug around then the Weller). NPE also have stands, sponges and the small tools you'll need at sensible prices.

Worth a trip to Zeer Rangsit or Old Siam Plaza for some tool therapy.

I have the same one as you, but branded 'Mitsumi.' Mine goes from 20w to 200w. So maybe I'll stick with it for now, or maybe when I run off to gather other stuff I'll find a good deal on a whole station.  Online one guy recommended a Hakko (936?) station clone that uses all same parts. May look for one of those. 

https://srt.co.th/page/HAKKO/detail_h980-985.php?name=H981F-V22 (220V/20W-130W)&type=หัวแร้งบัดกรีแช่&id=SDk4MUYtVjIy

• 3 weeks later...

I've stuck my Mitsumi Hakko clone and it seems to be OK for now. I bought a bunch of other tools and stuff in Ban Mo the other day. Of course there were a few things I missed, so yesterday went to Fortune Town to get a heat gun, shrink tubing, nut driver kit. Couple things I couldn't find at FT: 1) speaker wire terminals (for guitar speaker; see pic), 2) extra wire (for tube amp building), 3) flux cleaner (not essential, but would like to have), 4) wire nuts

Anyone know if some shop in Pantip Plaza may have items like these? Or some other shop on Sukhumvit side of town? Or, must I venture back over to Ban Mo for these?

Thx.

speaker wire terminals.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2017 at 2:03 AM, OliverKlozerof said:

'Nuther thing. I googled and it says voltage in Thailand is 220v. But just checked my outlet with a meter and is reads 230v. Do you know which is right?

A little late to come back to post, but last year I bought a VOM with a USB port (Uni-T 71D), plugged it into my desktop computer with a home-made leads wired to a standard plug.  It recorded every 60 seconds for a couple of days- several thousand points.  The voltage varied from 210 to 232 volts, probably when people turned on and off their A/C's and water heaters in my building.

If you're ever in doubt about your own voltage, you can buy a cheap display unit to plug in and give instant readings, or a VOM with a USB port.  Victor 86D is the least expensive I've found on Lazada or AliExpress.  Around $40-50.  The Uni-T 71D is available locally at many Amorn stores, but it's over $100.

Something like this is the cheapest, but I'd go with the recording VOM if I needed to complain to the PEA about low voltage, or if I wanted to see why my appliances get knocked offline at certain times of the day.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM55-1-AC-80-300V-Voltage-Meter-Plug-Volt-Meter-Electrical-Instruments-LCD-Digital-Voltmeter-Pen/32694016948.html

Here's the Uni-T:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-UNI-T-UT71C-professional-Intelligent-LCD-Digital-MultiMeter-AC-DC-Volt-Ampere-Ohm-Capacitance/32606268013.html

Regarding a Solder station, a good one and widely used by Pro's in Thailand is the Gordak 952a. That one has both the Solder Iron and also the Hot-Air Solder, the one which could be used for.  replacing etc. Chips with multi solder points etc., etc. , I use that for years already without problems. That product could easily be found at Klong Thom in Bangkok China Town. Those sellers also having Spare Parts and other special products for working with Soldering Stains on Mobile Phones, Electronic Circuits and so on. 

Special Instruments for electronic measurings could also get in the same Area be NPE (Nattapong Electronic). 

I bought a Hakko temperature controlled soldering iron Hakko FX600 (or 601, not sure) in the shop from the link above. I also bough 3 tips.

I like it very much, and I used a Weller soldering station before.

I use the Hakko for building drones, some small, some bigger and it works fine for 30AWG wire and SMD part and fine for 12AWG wires.

Over the years I bought lots of electronic parts in Ban Mo. And most standard parts are available over there for good prices.

But since I build the drones I bought lots of parts from China online often from banggood.com. They have almost anything with free delivery. Normally I chose registered mail which cost 1.5 USD or something like that. Cheap. Delivery to Bangkok normally about 10-12days.

What I like about buying online is that it is so much easier to find parts. I was looking in Ban Mo i.e. for Silicone Wire (very flexible wire). Probably they have it somewhere but I could not find it anywhere. So I ordered it online. And same with many other parts. Some things are incredible cheap (and good) from China.

Archived