Tough action against transport company following Ayutthaya deadly crash

snoop1130

Tough action against transport company following Ayutthaya deadly crash

van5.jpg

The Land Transport Department (LTD) has demanded a transport company whose passenger van was involved in a fatal road accident in Ayutthaya province on Thursday to bring all its 84-unit van fleet to the department for inspection.

All the drivers of the company, R.L. Service, which operates passenger van service, were ordered to undergo a safety course in driving at the department. The company was also fined 50,000 baht – the maximum amount of fine – for the fatal road accident involving one of its vans in which four Japanese tourists and a Thai female guide was killed and the driver was seriously injured.

The driving license of the driver, Mr Charun Aksornsri, was immediately revoked as of Nov 9 – the day after the accident which took place a 4pm on Nov 8.

LTD Officials in cooperation with the Ayutthaya provincial transport office and Bang Pa-in police went to the scene of the accident in Bang Pa-in district to examine the scene as well as the ill-fated van.

LTD deputy director-general Kamon Buranapong said that the team did not find any braking traces at the scene, indicating that the driver did not apply the brake when the vehicle slammed into the 10-wheel truck.  

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tough-action-transport-company-following-ayutthaya-deadly-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-10

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring all your vans here for inspection now!

Imperious demands sure beats the hell out of getting off your criminally-culpable, government-salaried, lard-asses and DOING YOUR JOB by going to wherever this 'transport company' calls their head office, check the vehicles in-situ and see what sort of van maintenance facilities and driver verification and test procedures they have.

That 50k baht fine is really gonna hurt too.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Imperious demands sure beats the hell out of getting off your criminally-culpable, government-salaried, lard-asses and DOING YOUR JOB by going to wherever this 'transport company' calls their head office, check the vehicles in-situ and see what sort of van maintenance facilities and driver verification and test procedures they have.

Have you owned a car in Thailand, if so you know that all inspection is done at the goverment office. Why change procedure and why even try to inspect there if its not even sure if they have the facilities there (they probably let someone else do the maintenance).

I

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

By doing what they are doing they are doing their job.  LTD officials are not 'criminally-culpable" [sic] and, as they are civil servants, they obviously are government-salaried.  Are they doing something wrong by being in that position?

Why did you put transport company in quotation marks, are you suggesting that the company is something else?  And how would maintenance facilities affect a driver who fell asleep at the wheel?

Whatever Thai authorities do there is always someone here who will go out of their way to denigrate another 100% positive report, isn't there?

Inspect the  vans? They need to tighten up on the drivers. Enough of the never mind attitude. I ride down past Morchit mai daily on my bicycle and I'm sure, as we all do, notice a driving style by these lunatics that would lose them their license in the UK. Nothing will change. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Have you owned a car in Thailand, if so you know that all inspection is done at the goverment office. Why change procedure and why even try to inspect there if its not even sure if they have the facilities there (they probably let someone else do the maintenance).

I

A ten minute MOT test done by those who do not know the back or front end of a vehicle from what I saw on my last visit to an office.

You will not stop this carnage until you get the police out on the roads policing traffic, not a chance in hell things will change until they do the job, its been proved in other countries, look at the UK and its death rate on the roads then ask why its so high here.

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

A ten minute MOT test done by those who do not know the back or front end of a vehicle from what I saw on my last visit to an office.

You will not stop this carnage until you get the police out on the roads policing traffic, not a chance in hell things will change until they do the job, its been proved in other countries, look at the UK and its death rate on the roads then ask why its so high here.

Don't you know that if you have a quiet word with the inspector, and pay the extra fee, your MOT test could be extended to take up to a week?

5 hours ago, robblok said:

You are conflating the annual inspection of older vehicles at registered vehicle testing stations (not offices) at thousands of locations across Thailand with the demands of the DLT's head office for all the vans belonging to this particular company to be brought to the DLT's head office. Unless you are in the habit of bringing your car to a 'government head office' for inspection, apart from when registering new or changed ownership, I have no clue what you're on about.

Pretty sure that these DLT chiefs aren't going to do any sort of vehicle inspection but they will have a superb photo-op where they can be seen to be doing something about this ongoing issue... while in reality, they are doing bugger all.

This is Thailand. If fleet operators can get by with NOT spending too much money on repairs and maintenance, they will do that. If there's no oversight of any minimum standards that they are supposed to adhere to, they won't comply with them. If there's no checking of (any) drivers log books, then they'll turn a blind eye to the many drivers that drive excessive hours to make the extra money. After all, more trips means more passengers and more income. I can't see the minivan owners being too enthusiastic about killing that particular golden goose.

The ongoing issue is the LTD's total inability to do anything remotely constructive and pro-active about seeking a solution to the ongoing dangers of this form of public transport. They collect official fees to allow these minivan companies to operate, that's all they do.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

By doing what they are doing they are doing their job.  LTD officials are not 'criminally-culpable" [sic] and, as they are civil servants, they obviously are government-salaried.  Are they doing something wrong by being in that position?

Why did you put transport company in quotation marks, are you suggesting that the company is something else?  And how would maintenance facilities affect a driver who fell asleep at the wheel?

Whatever Thai authorities do there is always someone here who will go out of their way to denigrate another 100% positive report, isn't there?

If these DLT guys just sit in their offices signing and filing paperwork and doing bugger all about actually checking for compliance and enforcing the few rules and regulations regarding public transportation, then I reckon they are very much responsible for the abuses by individuals and companies that set themselves up as providers of public transport. Thus they have a direct responsibility for deaths and injuries that are enabled by their lack of diligence and inability to do their job properly.

If you consider slapping a 50k baht fine on the company, pulling the drivers license and asking for a convoy of minivans to come to the office for 'inspection' is the proper course of action, that's fine. What you see as 'another 100% positive report' is just another knee-jerk opportunity to grandstand and appear to be doing something positive.

Put it this way. In both high-profile accidents where speeding minivans have collided with other vehicles causing multiple fatalities, both drivers appear to have fallen asleep at the wheel. Last January's crash where 25 died (between the 2 vehicles involved), they quickly found evidence that the driver had made multiple, back-to-back trips within the previous 18 hours, fell asleep, crossed the median and hit a loaded pickup head-on. In this latest, lower body-count accident, with no reported evidence of braking, the inference is that this driver too fell asleep at the wheel.

Have we seen any announcement of a nationwide system to monitor and regulate minivan driver hours. Have we?

In both these minivan crashes, the subsequent gas-fueled inferno has assured a higher body count.

Have we seen any announcement of a nationwide inspection of all gas-powered minivans, their installations, the parts used and the shops where these installations were carried out? Have we?

The LTD, like most other government departments, don't know what they're doing!

They refuse to address the main problems with these drivers....They don't seem to understand the basic issues with these drivers....

The van company, of course, is culpable. The drivers are often suicidal maniacs and need extreme education and training....but repeatedly, the LTD can't see!

it would seem that the vehicle failed for whatever reason to apply brakes prior to the collision, this could be due to the driver not paying attention, or falling asleep, or it could be brake failure, which i doubt, yes the vehicle needs to be examined to rule out mechanical faults.

the way i see it here in Thailand is that the out of control 'accident' rate of these minibuses need some tighter regulations that also need to be enforced on a daily basis.

when i drove a bus in London back in the late 70's, there were government officials that would board the bus while in service and check the bus for compliance with the regulations. the buses had a full chassis off rebuild every 7 years, each garage had a full service crew. drivers hours were strictly enforced.this is the type of enforcement, rules and servicing required in Thailand. each driver had a PSV ( public service vehicle)licence, issued after a full driving course. we all know the current minibuses are not fit for purpose, will the new 20 seat or so small buses be any better, they may be slower, but the same drivers will still have the same mentality, you get on these minibuses at your own peril, what a sad way for a high tourist country to treat its citizens and paying guests. is it 24,000 fatalities yearly in Thailand to the UK's 2,000 or so, with the same population.

We all seem to see these guys driving crazily on the roads, particularly if we live near the tourist areas.

Since dash-cams are actually becoming commonplace surely they should be mandatory in these vehicles. The benefit would be threefold, a way to evaluate a drivers standard, a way to evaluate what happened post-incident, and a deterrent for poor and aggressive driving.

Alone this would not suffice and more camera monitoring on the roads, particularly junctions would be an idea. Red light jumping is excessive here....  And of course policing, but an improved and better trained police force needs to come first.

Why am I wasting my time even thinking about this?

The details on the accidents are missing from the article.

Was the accident caused by a poor maintenance vehicle to be calling the entire fleet to be brought for inspection. If it is due to poor maintenance then why have them on the road?  Inspections are done unannounced thus reducing the chance of fraud.

Not possible with drivers history since they don't have a national data base to track drivers from throughout Thailand. Thus companies aren't going to bother to do background check outside of their area or even locally. Surprise and random drug and alcohol testing needs to be done unannounced and random also.

The Land Transport are on the news a lot purpose lots and complain lots about the problem and thus the 50,000 fine just show they don't have the power, embrace the real problem themselves to provide a real solution to reduce the problem. They are trying but spinning their wheels going no where.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

We all seem to see these guys driving crazily on the roads, particularly if we live near the tourist areas.

Since dash-cams are actually becoming commonplace surely they should be mandatory in these vehicles. The benefit would be threefold, a way to evaluate a drivers standard, a way to evaluate what happened post-incident, and a deterrent for poor and aggressive driving.

Alone this would not suffice and more camera monitoring on the roads, particularly junctions would be an idea. Red light jumping is excessive here....  And of course policing, but an improved and better trained police force needs to come first.

Why am I wasting my time even thinking about this?

Because you care more than they do!

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I

Actually, all inspections are not done at government facilities, there are "certified" shops. I haven't been to the government facility in years, but that isn't the point. The point is that these are commercial vehicles that should be held to a strict, more rigorous standard. The drivers should have regular medical exams and drug testing. They should also make daily mechanical checks, tires, lights etc. Any mechanical defects should be noted and reported with the driver retaining a copy and the next driver should not drive the vehicle until a repair is done. Once all those steps are taken you still have to do something about the "nut" behind the wheel.

47 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Actually, all inspections are not done at government facilities, there are "certified" shops. I haven't been to the government facility in years, but that isn't the point. The point is that these are commercial vehicles that should be held to a strict, more rigorous standard. The drivers should have regular medical exams and drug testing. They should also make daily mechanical checks, tires, lights etc. Any mechanical defects should be noted and reported with the driver retaining a copy and the next driver should not drive the vehicle until a repair is done. Once all those steps are taken you still have to do something about the "nut" behind the wheel.

Guess that is the difference between BKK and other places, in BKK they have a big inspection site at the goverment office DLT.  There are other certified shops too but for important things they use the government site. I remember it well when i wanted to change my motorbike from province to province it had to go to the DLT testing office near Mochit, later i could use one of those places you describe. For the car (still new) I dont have to do any tests as of yet. 

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Whatever Thai authorities do there is always someone here who will go out of their way to denigrate another 100% positive report, isn't there?"  (my italics).

While it is indeed welcome that the LTD are investigating this crash vis-a-vis maintenance, it would seem most likely that, as in any many other crashes, that driver behaviour is likely to be the most important factor.

This is about priorities and is NOT 'denigration', by other TV posters. In a country of very little personal accountability and responsibility there always seems to be the wish to shift 'blame' elsewhere. :coffee1:

LOS = Land of Shifting.............? A new meaning for the acronym :whistling:

The driving license of the driver, Mr Charun Aksornsri, was immediately revoked as of Nov 9 – the day after the accident which took place a 4pm on Nov 8.

an you think that will stop him ? driving im surprised he had a licence in the first place.

56 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

yes those medical exams are very effective. once needed it to get work permit. paid the clinic, someone touched a stethoscope to front of chest then I was done, certified disease and tuberculosis free also. no skin test no x ray. for them and me quick and easy. they got money and I got the certificate. the quick and easy philosophy that permeates society is the root cause of thailand's woes. cheating and corruption and fraud go hand in hand with the philosophy.  not denigrating just stating facts.

Van's don' kill people, it's the idiots, the mentally ill and the irresponsible drivers that kill. While all driver here should have better driver training, it's even more important for those in public transport. It's quite easy to kill 30+ people with a bus. No, I won't turn this into a "it's not guns that kill" thread:)

It would seem, and very likely, that the GPS in this but was only looked at after the event....and he was going 93kph.....

The GPS idea was another knee jerk reaction that led people to believe that vans would be monitored.....obviously they are, but only after an incident and anyone who imagined that 5000 vans would be monitored for speed and travel time have been deceived.

In reality, GPS can do nothing.

The culture of the drivers has to be changed.......!

Perhaps it's time for the land transport department to require all public vehicles such as these vans or the new mini bus with come equipped with driver aids? At least some sort of system to help might have mitigate such accidents from happening? 

Archived