Australian tourist Stacey Liddle to go home next week

rooster59

Australian tourist Stacey Liddle to go home next week 

The Phuket News

1510394951_1-org.jpg

Australian tourist Stacey Liddle is expected to arrive back in Sudney, Australia, on Monday (Nov 13).

PHUKET: Australian tourist Stacey Liddle, who has undergone a spate of surgeries in the hope of saving her left leg since it was crushed by a tour bus two weeks ago, will return home next week, staff Vachira Phuket Hospital have confirmed.

“Ms Liddle’s family is looking for a flight to fly back to Australia in next week,” Nurse Methavee Maneesri, Head of the International Department at Vachira Hospital, told The Phuket News today (Nov 11).

Despite reports in Australian media and by news outlets in Phuket yesterday and today that Ms Liddle’s family feared that Ms Liddle would be “held hostage over her hospital bill”, Nurse Methavee assured, “Ms Liddle is free to fly as soon they find a flight. Her family have raised the money to pay most the bill.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-tourist-stacey-liddle-to-go-home-next-week-64663.php#JX5zA61DwrAAHsF1.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-11

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I feel sorry for her,  it is good to hear the hospital will be paid.

Maybe now she will halt with the sour talk of the hospital that took her in and tried to give her the best care they had available. And maybe next time she will think twice about taking on activities where she in general is responsible for her own safety to an extent.

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

While I feel sorry for her,  it is good to hear the hospital will be paid.

Maybe now she will halt with the sour talk of the hospital that took her in and tried to give her the best care they had available. And maybe next time she will think twice about taking on activities where she in general is responsible for her own safety to an extent.

The hospital will be paid 5x the cost of a Thai.

26 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

so what is your point ... ?   overcharging for expats ?     that's a completely different issue.

What is annoying is that she slagged off the hospital giving her the best treatment they could with what they have available.  And then she said they were holding her hostage ....  until the bill was paid ....

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so what is your point ... ?   overcharging for expats ?     that's a completely different issue.

What is annoying is that she slagged off the hospital giving her the best treatment they could with what they have available.  And then she said they were holding her hostage ....  until the bill was paid ....

My point is, you were happy the hospital was paid, I was unhappy the hospital is allowed to steal from foreigners.

If they charged us the same price as Thais, we could all easily afford to pay.

Thai hospitals are crooks.

@Techno Viking.

Yes, in foreigner holiday areas, government hospitals jump on the cheating bandwagon.

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My point is, you were happy the hospital was paid, I was unhappy the hospital is allowed to steal from foreigners.

@Techno Viking.

Yes, in foreigner holiday areas, government hospitals jump on the cheating bandwagon.

Well I guess your right in some circumstances,  but anytime I went to a public hospital ( which was rare ) I was charged what I think was quite reasonable ....    just saying. 

25 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Government hospitals stooge foreigners as much as Private hospitals do?

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

@Techno Viking.

No, they don't.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You mean 5 times cheaper than in Australia, no doubt Medicare will foot the rest of her bills in Australia, then again, as I don't pay tax anymore, I shouldn't be concerned, although I do hope she pays taxes back in Australia to cover her Medicare bills.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

@Techno Viking.

I don't know about that, its all relative.

Back in May when I was in Sydney, I saw a Dermatologist, his fee to see him and remove a small mole on my left facial cheek under a local was 12,500 baht.

When I returned to Thailand a week later my GP advised me that the Dermatologist didn't get it all and that I had to see a plastic Surgeon to remove the rest or I would face problems, no doubt I did, in a public hospital and the Plastic Surgeon and his colleagues removed it in the public theatre while I was under a local, it was the size of my eye socket, great job, although the scare was 100mm long, there is nothing there now. The cost was something like 6,000 baht, the follow up a month later was 50 baht and 500 baht for the cream, I suppose they charged me as a local not under their medical system because I have my pink ID card, yellow book etc etc ?

Hospitals are not cheap to run, and the Thai hospitals are there for the Thai's, as hospitals abroad are there for their citizens, suffice to say, if you had the same accident in Sydney, you would be expected to pay the full cost, whereas its citizens would be covered under the Medicare system in place, in other words, why should any Thai government hospital or any other hospital abroad charge tourists anything less, tourists should have appropriate insurance, and read the PDS before they pay for the policy and be satisfied that they are covered for such an event, so I say, fair suk of the sav mate, sounds to me your either don't have health insurance, or no money relying on the pension and taking a cheap shot at the Thai government hospitals, you are not a Thai, just remember that, you are a farang in their country which looks after their own, unless your prepared to pay the normal non Thai rates which are the same all around the world, simple really.

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Oh please.. Are you honestly suggesting she and others who ride here illegally do so because they think they will be overcharged if they have an accident.. Come on. 

That's not taking into account that even if they overcharge x5 or x100 if she and the others had the correct insurance or were not doing things they weren't covered for then shy of a small insurance excess it would have been paid regardless. 

I accept people are on holidays and make decisions they wouldn't do at home and I don't have an issue with that. The issue is then complaining and asking for financial help when it goes wrong. 

If I start a go fund me page to recoup my insurance premiums I paid for the years when I don't claim then that would be fair or accepted? 

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

@Techno Viking.

Most foreigners go to private hospitals , as do richer Thais .

Poorer Thais go to public hospitals , where the treatment is basic .

Thai public hospitals are for Thais , not for foreigners .

Thais get subsidised health care , foreigners do not

Just now, yellowboat said:

May she have a wonderful and long life and holiday elsewhere. 

To be fair on Phuket and I'm not aware Stacie's level of experience but motorcycle riding is not for everyone.

As an experienced rider and someone who stayed on Phuket for over a year my scooter riding was limited to a few quiet streets around the local area. It's a high risk method of transport. 

4 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Government hospitals stooge foreigners as much as Private hospitals do?

My experience with the provincial hospital at Yansangwararum is that I am well treated, and charged very little compared to the private clinic I had been using.

29 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

To be fair on Phuket and I'm not aware Stacie's level of experience but motorcycle riding is not for everyone.

As an experienced rider and someone who stayed on Phuket for over a year my scooter riding was limited to a few quiet streets around the local area. It's a high risk method of transport. 

I have been a rider since 1974. I also stick to my local area here in Thailand.

if people had the correct insurance cover in the first place there would be no problems

I have been in Thailand a lot of  years have good medical insurance with a world class insurer

Have been to two of the top hospitals here in Bangkok many times first class service 

you pay for what you get

2 minutes ago, shackleton said:

if people had the correct insurance cover in the first place there would be no problems

I have been in Thailand a lot of  years have good medical insurance with a world class insurer

Have been to two of the top hospitals here in Bangkok many times first class service 

you pay for what you get

Its not even having the correct insurance but rather reading the PDS of your insurance and understanding what you are covered for.

Many that come  have no insurance at all.

2 hours ago, samjaidee said:

In an Australian article her mother said she no longer has a femur. If that's not losing your leg, I don't know what is.

Here is her mother running off at the mouth again and not knowing what she is talking about. It is all bullshit that she does not have a femur. If she had no femur then she would have no bone between her knee and her hip and if that was the case then her leg would have to be amputated. All the doctors reports are that her leg does not have to be amputated. So I ask is this part another scam by her mother for more money. It was her mother that slagged the Thai hospital. I hope that they are going to repay all the money that was given to them out of the goodness of peoples hearts

I am an Australian and I am disgusted with news.com.au for giving false news about this. news.com.au don't even know where the accident happened, there say Bali not Phuket. news.com.au have written everything Stacey's mother has said about the state of the hospital and that she has no femur. The one thing thou is they have printed a picture just after the accident which shows the bus is still in the right hand lane which is where it was in all other pictures, so I would guess that she wandered into the right hand lane because of inexperience plus the other pictures and the video that I have seen shows her riding close to the lane markings between the 2 lanes.

I believe that news.com.au has a lot to answer for as far as truthful news.

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

@Techno Viking.

Maybe the Thais should follow the Brits and make 'cheating' an official policy.:smile:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations/summary-of-changes-made-to-the-way-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

People who live outside the EEA, including former UK residents, should now make sure they are covered by personal health insurance, unless an exemption applies to them. Anyone who does not have insurance will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff for any care they receive.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Ask her to go home & tell those stupid Ozzies that renting a motorbike in Thailand is frought with danger

& in the very possible event of an accident MAKE sure your policy covers it.

Did she have a current motor bike licence ?

Hey it is not only Ozzies that are stupid. It is anyone that comes to Thailand or for that matter goes to any country and hires a motorbike without having the proper license and the proper travel insurance to cover any incidents that they have. There are Ozzies, Brits, New Zealanders, Americans, Canadians and many other nationalities that are involved in this practice of not having the proper travel insurance

Techno Viking, it does not matter where you go in the world tourist always pay more than locals for medical treatment because the tourist does not pay into the countries medical schemes that the nationals have.

If you are a tourist in Australia you will pay more than an Australian because the Australian pays into the Medibank scheme where the tourist does not. It is not a case of ripping the tourist off.

7 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

@Techno Viking.

Where is your proof/links to this allegation?

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Ask her to go home & tell those stupid Ozzies that renting a motorbike in Thailand is frought with danger

& in the very possible event of an accident MAKE sure your policy covers it.

Did she have a current motor bike licence ?

Was she drinking? I'm not usually a betting man....but in this case..

Archived