"Home Schoolers" or simply no money for kid's school?

BuddyDean

I know home schooling is becoming popular in the US, and often it is wise and successful.  I am not quite sure what to think about it here.  Are people with kids and little money just using it as an excuse to justify bringing them over here to live.  I know some of the parents have no higher education, let alone teaching experience.  I mistakenly spoke to someone about  instruction for her two kids, as words like "asap," and "desperate," were used.  I think they thought they could get someone to make house calls for two hours for almost nothing.  I think the English Teachers would have even been offended.  Has anyone else dealt with these gypsy types?  Just a warning, don't waste your time.

No ladies, it is about people from the West bringing their kids over here and homeschooling them, without any experience.  Also, seeking the help of foreign teachers to tutor their kids in subjects they actually admit to not having a clue in.  It is a bit like the multitude of teachers here justifying how good they are without a degree.  If you can come over here and teach with almost no academic credentials; surely you could bring over three kids and home school them.

9 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

No ladies, it is about people from the West bringing their kids over here and homeschooling them, without any experience.  Also, seeking the help of foreign teachers to tutor their kids in subjects they actually admit to not having a clue in.  It is a bit like the multitude of teachers here justifying how good they are without a degree.  If you can come over here and teach with almost no academic credentials; surely you could bring over three kids and home school them.

It sounds like much more than a full time job and if I were doing it, though I would not want to give my life over to it, it would surely be much more expensive than sending a kid to school. But, I would want to do it really well... 

Homeschooling would be an enormous challenge. I agree, I cannot imagine how or why anyone would attempt it w/o 100% devotion to it and the skills to do it well. 

The other point as far as Thailand is concerned, is what system of home schooling would one adopt, that is to say, what syllabus would you choose to follow? And again what subjects would one choose as 'majors'? Apart from learning the Thai language, books and materials might have to bought from abroad and that could incur duty when received (though I have not experienced that with the scientific and math books I've purchased).

Simply a warning to stay away from time wasters, and seeing if anyone else had experienced the same pile of crap.  Would apply to most of the parents posting in the FB groups seeking freelancers for tutoring.  Of course, you would be working illegally.  No transportation allowance, no consideration for time in transit, cancellations with almost notice.  Best to play hard ball from the start, unless you want to be like the proverbial backpackers " working upcountry,  for a couple of Changs."

7 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

Simply a warning to stay away from time wasters, and seeing if anyone else had experienced the same pile of crap.  Would apply to most of the parents posting in the FB groups seeking freelancers for tutoring.  Of course, you would be working illegally.  No transportation allowance, no consideration for time in transit, cancellations with almost notice.  Best to play hard ball from the start, unless you want to be like the proverbial backpackers " working upcountry,  for a couple of Changs."

OK, but who are the time wasters, in your opinion - the so-called teachers who make excessive demands, or the parents who are too tight to pay for reasonable expenses?

It's still hard to discern where you are going with this, but it now seems your target is people, specifically farangs, who attempt to home school for parents upcountry, but whom, in your experience, lack the credentials and/or the ability, to do the job competently. 

I have to say, it is somewhat ironic that you post at all on the subject of home schooling when your ability to explain your meaning is so difficult to understand.

• 1 month later...

From the title and picking over the bones of the OP's posts, he's possibly an unappreciated provider of "professional" home-tutoring services and finds the type of customer/parent he typically encounters as being foreign, possibly of the digital pikey persuasion, possibly challenged in the financial and planning department. They also have unreal expectations of what they expect to get for 300 baht/hour.

PS. Tutoring is NOT home schooling BTW.

Archived