BANGKOK 23 March 2019 20:25

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluesofa

Length of Thailand’s perimeter

How can I find the length of Thailand’s perimeter?

I assume ‘perimeter’ is the correct word to use: The total length of Thailand’s coastline and it’s land borders with all neighbouring countries.

I don’t know if there’s some detail contained in various digital maps?

Initially I looked at wiki  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_border/area_ratio  
that told me the length of land borders is 4,863km.

However, I was confused when trying to find the coastline  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_length_of_coastline it is has two figures, one from the CIA World Factbook – 3,219km, the other is the World Resources Institute – 7,066km, unless I’m reading it wrong?

I watched a program some time ago about the difficulties involved in measuring the length of coast lines (The UK in this case) depending on how far apart your points of measurement are (100 m, 1Km, 10Km etc) you get hugely varying results. The true answer is 'a lot'.

OK, maybe I should refine my question:

If I wanted to drive or cycle around the perimeter using minor (but concrete roads), is there a way to get an idea of that distance I wonder?

For a reasonable estimate you could use 'measure distance' on google maps. (right click on map / measure distance / click around to make your route)

A very rough round trip gives me about 5,200 KM

Land borders = 4863 km

506 km Malaysia

1800 km Myanmar

803 km Cambodia

1754 km Laos

Coastline = 3219 km

Total = 8082 km (long cycle ride)

15 hours ago, Jdietz said:

For a reasonable estimate you could use 'measure distance' on google maps. (right click on map / measure distance / click around to make your route)

A very rough round trip gives me about 5,200 KM

Thanks very much for both of those details in the last two posts.

Nice project!

A few years ago I wanted to cycle the North Sea Cycling Route (6000 km.), but then there were suddenly health problems.
I am getting older now but I still have phantasies to spend a few month to achieve this.
But to be realistic, I think it was a nice dream.

Keep us informed about yout trip.
I like the idea.