Changing Tourist Visa

Anyone have experience to change a tourist visa to an extension of stay due to marriage at the immigration of Jomtien,i am belgian ,58 years old,married since 08.12.2006 in thailand and prove of income of more than 40.000 bath monthly,my tourist visa expire the 10.03.2007,thanks.

I suspect that this will get moved to the Visa Section but here is my two-pence: You will need to change your visa type to a Non Immigrant O then apply for an extension. You will need to show that you have had 40,000 baht per month income retrospectively for the previous three months as well as the other supporting documentation when applying for an extension based on marriage to a Thai national.

I am sure lopburi3 will fill you in on the bits that I may have missed if you repost this in the Visa section. :o

I suspect that this will get moved to the Visa Section but here is my two-pence: You will need to change your visa type to a Non Immigrant O then apply for an extension. You will need to show that you have had 40,000 baht per month income retrospectively for the previous three months as well as the other supporting documentation when applying for an extension based on marriage to a Thai national.

I am sure lopburi3 will fill you in on the bits that I may have missed if you repost this in the Visa section. :o

Again manythanks Chopper

lopburi3 will fill you in on the bits that I may have missed if you repost this in the Visa section. :o

You can now change a tourist visa to a retirement visa at immigration providing you qualify and I dont see why you cant change to a marriage visa although I understand it takes much longer to get the marriage one issued.

Although you should be able to do this the office that handles the change of visa is currently using the old requirements and not sure how they handle the income - if not in Thailand with a work permit suspect it would not be approved but the only sure answer is to ask them directly. What would be acceptable now is a bank account with 400k baht in it. Not usable for extension but still usable for change. This should be done with 21 or more days remaining before your current visa entry expires.

If unable to make the change at Immigration you should be able to obtain a non immigrant O visa from any Consulate with marriage certificate and signed copy of wife ID card and then do the extension 60 days after your return, based on the 40k (three month record) of family income.

I married my Thai wifer in Sept 05. I am in the processe of changing from a tourist visa to an O visa, married to Thai national.

Last week, armed with aplication form(can be downloaded), proof of marrage, and of earnings, with a letter from the British Embassy to vouch for that, wifes I D and house registration, in her name, photographs of us in and outside the house, birth certificate of son and wedding pictures. Alas the wedding pics where nearly a stumbling block, they wanted the pics of the wedding reception, we did not have a reception as we moved up to Chaing Mai the day after wedding. They also asked for proof of my legal right to get married. I had my copy of my degree of divorce but they wanted a letter or copy of one from the British Embassy. In the end they where ok over the lack of the letter.

I only had 2 days remaining on my visa so was told to get a 7 day extension. Then was told to come back to the Imigration in Bangkok in 1 week. Thats when I will find out if I get my change of visa. One Imagration lady who was very helpful, cute too, told me on my asking, that it would be approved.

A bit long but I hope it helps.