How many times can you get a waiver from TCT?

Took

Hi,

This is the topic that must of been talked about so many times before and I know the rules and regulations will change very soon and often in Thailand, but I've heard about the stories that you can get a waiver twice for 4 years or three times for 6 years at most. I do know one teacher who's got the 5th one now but has been told by TCT that that's going to be the last one.

Mine is my 3rd one, and it will not even have been 4 years since I got my 1st one when my current waiver expires in about a year and a half.

Would you think it possible for me to get the 4th one with the school where I'm working?

Thank you in advance.

Section 46 of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act, B.E. 2546 (2003) forbids any person from claiming the right to teach or to practice the teaching profession without being licensed by the Teachers’ Council.  Educational institutions are also forbidden to employ as teachers anyone who is not specifically licensed or granted explicit permission by the Teachers’ Council.

In view of the requirements of educational institutions in developing educational programs, there is a need for foreign teachers to engage in instruction and supervise study in said institutions.     The head of an educational institution must state the intent to the Teachers’ Council of Thailand,             to employ an individual to fill a teaching vacancy when a licensed teacher cannot be employed if the criteria and conditions given below are satisfactorily met.

1. Criteria for Granting of Permission
    Foreigners who are not holders of professional teachers’ licenses can be employed as teachers provided that they are qualified according to the following:
        1.1 Not younger than 20 years of age
        1.2 Satisfy one of the following requirements:
             (1) Have qualifications not less than that of being holders of a degree in education or its equivalent or  
             (2) Have qualifications not less than that of being holders of a bachelor’s degree in an area needed by an educational institution requiring carrying out teaching duties or
             (3) Are not holders of a degree, and they hold a teaching license from another country
        1.3 Are devoid of prohibited personal attributes as specified in Section 44 (B) of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act, B.E. 2546 (2003)

2. Conditions for granting permission are as follows:
         2.1 Educational institutions must request permission in specific cases.  Foreigners must teach in educational institutions under the control of the head of educational institutions of said educational institutions in accordance with the conditions specified in their teaching permit.
         2.2 No more than two years can be allowed in a single permission period and can be extended for a total period of not more than six years.
         2.3 The person granted permission to teach is required to satisfy professional qualifications for a teaching license within a period of six years from the first permission of teaching permit.
         2.4 If the person granted permission to teach violates professional ethics, does not adhere to the conditions specified, or does not satisfy the professional development standards, conditions and methods specified by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand, said person’s permission to teach shall be revoked.

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=license&SiteMenuID=221

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

As regard to this article ' 2.2 No more than two years can be allowed

in a single permission period and can be extended for a total period of not

more than six years.', would you think that this is my last waiver or

I can apply for the next one, considering these two points?

1) this is my 3rd waiver but I didn't used up either of my 1st or

2nd ones

2) it won't even have been 4 years since I got my 1st one, when

my current one expires in about 1.5 years.

Thank you.

37 minutes ago, Took said:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

As regard to this article ' 2.2 No more than two years can be allowed

in a single permission period and can be extended for a total period of not

more than six years.', would you think that this is my last waiver or

I can apply for the next one, considering these two points?

1) this is my 3rd waiver but I didn't used up either of my 1st or

2nd ones

2) it won't even have been 4 years since I got my 1st one, when

my current one expires in about 1.5 years.

Thank you.

If you did not use up your first or second it means you switched schools ? That still means they are used up I believe, does not matter if you decided to leave.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:17 PM, Took said:

Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

That's what I've been curious to know. Yes, this is my 3rd

waiver with my 3rd school, as you guessed, so it should

be my last one before I leave Thailand.

It could be your last one, Took. If you had stayed at the same school, it would be easier to get a 4th waiver.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your comment.

One thing for sure is this is going to be my last school to teach in Thailand and I’ve still got about 1.5yrs left on my 3rd waiver. It’d be  nice if I could get my 4th waiver with the school with which my

3rd  waiver is now, but I’m ready to leave Thailand if I can’t get the 4th one when my current waiver expires no problem.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, Took said:

Hi,

Thanks very much for your comment.

One thing for sure is this is going to be my last school to teach in Thailand and I’ve still got about 1.5yrs left on my 3rd waiver. It’d be  nice if I could get my 4th waiver with the school with which my

3rd  waiver is now, but I’m ready to leave Thailand if I can’t get the 4th one when my current waiver expires no problem.

If you're serious about staying, you could join up and read info on this website.

http://www.thailandteaching.info

I'm retired now, but many on that website talked about doing a course on-line with IFSU. It seems that it is acceptable to Khurusapa.

All the  best.

6 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

it a method that schools use to get rid of teacher, without them having to worry about paying severance pay.

Bologna

Schools don't let good teachers go unless it's a pay issue. Still, the teacher will walk. Utter nonsense.

Archived