Petchabun Roads and Effluent

Snowyrivers

Roads around here, the small inter-connecting village roads, have always been bad. Generally repaired sort of most years, for another year.

But I have NEVER EVER seen them this bad in 14 years of living here. Hi speed trains, subs, new toys etc, BKK-must-not-flood etc etc...
Strange that, innit?
Nakon Nowhere is not at the top of any list on the Junta's to-do-list...
Weekly moped/scooter accidents due to pot holes. One about 20 metres from my house,  huge and deep, accident every week.

I’d say it’s not only the pot holes are the cause of these accidents although they certainly don’t help.

Rural Thais do not really venture far on their scooters therefore they should be familiar with the pot holes however they choose to drive too fast / too drunk and think they’re bullet proof. Id say this is more of a cause than the pot holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

JB spends most of his time in the Swiss blokes place, he doesn't own it. Never heard it called the International bar. Popular with the Wichian Buri crowd, ones BS detector must be highly tuned. Mention immigration issues and most likely you will be thrown out on your ar*e.  

There is a place at the back of the market ( supermarket in center of Wichien Buri ) where always see lots of westerners drinking...that has a sign up saying ' International bar "  . Also seen Norms bar on the main drag offering English breakfast . On the corner and usually see a few blokes chewing the cud there. Never seen a Swiss owned place though ? Gaysorn probably the best restaurant in town is also popular.

Big news around here is that the new Big C  ( with small cinema ) will be opening in time for Christmas . Only 2 k from town as you drive in from Sahm Yaek Wichien Buri.  Not expecting too much in the way of western food but better than nout.

big c.jpg

As for village interconnecting roads, rarely good. But if you want some action, you need to raise with other locals (maybe via your partner, assuming she is Thai) and lobby the local Pu yai ban. Eventually if nagged enough (and especially just before local election time) action MAY happen.

As for the sewage, Sugar cane fields seem an ideal place (as long as you do not chew the raw cane). I remember in the UK when we used to do cross country running through the local sewage farm - exactly what it sounds like, sewage was just sprayed all over them frequently. And farmers still routinely do this with there animal wastes - everywhere. Sewage treatment works are a relatively modern invention (late 19th century). Perhaps you would prefer that they dumped it in the nearest river? Sewage works are a rarity outside of cities in the tropics, nature does it for you due to the heat and sunshine.

You guys ever wondered what happened to the human excrement from water treatment plants if it doesn't get burned? Exactly, it ends up as fertilizer. All over the world. Apart from heavy metals and residues from pharmaceuticals not any worse than pig or cow dung.

Archived