Thai Tourist Police beginning crackdown on 200,000 over-stayers

webfact

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I am sorry, but they don't do much good getting stuck in Thailand not being able to support their families. The world is full of migrant workers with families and sometimes you have to make hard choices.  At least in modern society it is easier to keep in touch with your family while you have to be away (nightly skype calls).  They could have taken the hard decision to become legal, go back to their home country - rent a room and work (if you value other things above the comforts you can reduce the cost of living to something where you have money left over) - support your family while working on returning legally.  No immigration system that I know of puts family above the ability to support them.  If you sponsor someone for marriage in many countries you have to have a minimum income or wealth since you are becoming the sponsor to them (if you marry, 3 years later get divorced and in year 5 she goes on some sort of government assistance - the government can and often will go after you to get reimbursed).

I don't expect a person like you to understand, but I encourage you to climb off your horse and actually try and empathize with fellow human beings. Hard, I know. But worth the effort. When you are in these positions only then will you be qualified to comment.

In one case, the wife abandoned him and his 3 children. He can't get the kids out of the country and can't qualify for a Visa because he has to wait 3 years for a divorce by abandonment. The children do not know anyone else. Leaving means putting them in an orphanage or to a distant relative nobody knows.

It is easy for you to judge when it doesn't affect you. But the truth is there needs to be an appeal process for those with families who can not meet the requirements for some reason.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police released first 100,000 illegal overstayers in Thailand now becomes 200,000 they really don't know the correct number. like a previous person said it was either a fine or jail for so long, now the tables have turned, illegal overstayers must have run short of money I guess.....:post-4641-1156694083: :ninja:

On 11/13/2017 at 11:00 PM, Tilacme said:

I would suggest a complete rethink on visas and making Thai citizenship more attainable which would take most of the "good guys" out the current bureaucracy so freeing up resources to round up the miscreants.

The country is so very clearly much too racist for that to ever happen...

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 5:07 PM, bkkcanuck8 said:

Well -- since neither Canada or the United States have official exit immigration processing -- both overstay and official exit would not necessarily be recorded in a manner that would legally stand up.

That's curious. I'm Canadian but haven't been back there for 10 years or more. How do they track how long a tourist has been in the country and whether he/she has overstayed? [In all my travels in the past 10 years--mostly Asian countries--I don't recall skipping exit immigration].  

1 hour ago, Docno said:

That's curious. I'm Canadian but haven't been back there for 10 years or more. How do they track how long a tourist has been in the country and whether he/she has overstayed? [In all my travels in the past 10 years--mostly Asian countries--I don't recall skipping exit immigration].  

I am guessing they get outbound flight manifests -- and maybe the US and Canada exchange border entry logs, but nothing official and no stamps etc.  (actually, I don't get entry stamps anymore in the passport either since you fill in the customs form and scan it into the machine with your passport and get a receipt).  You take this receipt on entry and they either let you exit or send you to inspection.  

When you land at an airport you must always go through immigration (no transit areas if onward travel).

On exit you go to the to either the checkin counter or documents check counter at the airline and that is the extent of it.  If you are travelling internationally (other than the US) you go through security and wait for the plane.  If you are going to the US you go to US immigration at the airport and then assuming they allow you into the US you go into the lounge and wait for the plane to the US (which lands in the US as a domestic flight).

That still leaves sea ....  you can book passage on freighters, yachts etc.  Since there is no official record as such - there is no record that they could use for legal purposes.  As long as you have left the country and you have not been in trouble or suspected of working illegally -- even if you overstayed the last time -- they will just admit you through the normal process.  Immigration only cares about making sure criminal activity is not the purpose of your trip and that you are not entering illegally to work.  If you want to overstay and spend money - so be it.

Basically, with a few exceptions -- once you are in the country you are there until you leave or are arrested for other illegal activity.  If you want to leave you can exit normally - no checks - they won't stop you.  The only exception is near the Mexican border the immigration will have checkpoints searching for human smugglers (usually around 50 to 100 miles from the border).  

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Chonburi Immigration paid me a visit. First time that's happened in 10 years. Just wanted to check I'm at the address I reported. No idea if that's related to this crackdown.

If it was related to a crackdown you would see lots of police sealing off the road and only letting you with a document check as they go house to house or condo to condo checking documents.   The last time I saw this happen was the sweep after the terrorist attack in Bangkok with the Shrine.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, darksidedog said:

Ignoring for a moment how people get into overstay, Thailand has itself largely to blame for the amount of long term over stayers. Once someone has gone into overstay, they have no attractive options. Face jail, get blacklisted etc. If they were to offer a short window, no questions asked, amnesty, many people would take the option to leave, either permanently, or long enough to obtain the correct visas. This would be far cheaper and efficient than the current, largely incompetent efforts, that barely scratch the surface of the problem and free the police up to actually target serious criminals. And God knows, there are plenty of them around.

There are already 30, 60 and 90 windows in place.  How long do ya think people need to stay "legal."

• 3 months later...
On 14/11/2017 at 12:52 PM, Orton Rd said:

Few on here will be getting cold feet, might be the no money but got the extension crackdown next :shock1:

Got the money but keep it in the west. Pay agent cos I'm lazy not broke. Quite the opposite.  Happy to pay 500 sovs to avoid dealing with paperwork and bureaucracy. 

On 2/16/2018 at 12:21 PM, The manic said:

Got the money but keep it in the west. Pay agent cos I'm lazy not broke. Quite the opposite.  Happy to pay 500 sovs to avoid dealing with paperwork and bureaucracy. 

Immigration in Jomtien is quick and always a "piece of cake."  They've always been very helpful and professional.  Hard to figure why anyone uses these agents.  I've seen many problems dealing with them over the years.  I've seen guys lose big money and, or their passport.  Getting the deadbeat, illegals that are here OUT is a great step in the right direction.  IHMO.

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Immigration in Jomtien is quick and always a "piece of cake."  They've always been very helpful and professional.  Hard to figure why anyone uses these agents.  I've seen many problems dealing with them over the years.  I've seen guys lose big money and, or their passport.  Getting the deadbeat, illegals that are here OUT is a great step in the right direction.  IHMO.

I may well move the required 800000 here when I feel so inclined. I also rent not buy. In the 3rd World officials make money on the side. That's why the have a job.....not for the salary. I transfer far more than 800000 over the course of a year so I feel I'm doing nout wrong. Just being sensible.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Great kick the overstayers out. Kick out the criminal foreigners too. Many foreigners come to Thailand to do  scams and other crimes. I have been victim of a deposit scam related to a two year rental agreement facilitated by a real estate company run by Americans. In Thailand there is too few laws and regulations related to property scams and it is easy to set up a real estate company who can do crimes with impunity it seems. 

I paid two months deposit paid, and rent paid monthly for two years. Two weeks prior to my contract ended, I got sick and was admitted to a hospital. When I returned the door was looked all my belongings stolen by the land lord. The land lord said the sofa was damaged and the TV, totally bogus charges. The land lord tried to extort me for 10,000 Bath to give me back my belongings.

I am astonished anyone can become so evil they evict a 100% disabled individual while in hospital and then have the nerve to extort me for 10,000 Bath. I have asked Consumer Protection Board of Thailand for advice. I have very little hope the scammers and the real estate company will be brought to justice. These scams is very unfortunate for the many honest  land lords and real estate companies. Important Thailand get more regulations the latest regulation from May 1st 2018 is not sufficient to protect consumers rights and these scams hurt Thailand's reputation as a tourist and retirement destination. 

The "200,000 overstayers" figure is deeply misleading.

Most of these people are migrant Burmese, Cambodian and Laotian workers.

I doubt that there are much over 10,000 Western overstayers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, NanLaew said:

Can't say I get quite the link between one Chinese boiler room bust in Nonthaburi and an alleged 200,000 overstayers.

where does the figure 200,000 comes from Mr? How do these 200,000 keep themselves alive. Given the fact that Thais are notorious for snooping around and making reports on foreigners who are working illegally how is it possible to work illegally? (we are not talking about the human trafficking to get cambodians & Burmese to work as slaves, that is another question altogether).

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, Oziex1 said:

200,000 x a little tea money is quite an earner, just throw out the Africans and a few Indians still quite a windfall.

Just throw in a bit of racism. Get all overstayers out, start with the ones who think they are better than the others.  

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, nkg said:

The "200,000 overstayers" figure is deeply misleading.

Most of these people are migrant Burmese, Cambodian and Laotian workers.

I doubt that there are much over 10,000 Western overstayers.

It doesn't mention Western in the article, but he, another one who thinks westerners are special. 

On 9/9/2018 at 10:47 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Just throw in a bit of racism. Get all overstayers out, start with the ones who think they are better than the others.  

It doesn't mention Western in the article, but he, another one who thinks westerners are special. 

I don't think Westerners are in any way special.

Many people have responded to this story making the assumption that the 200,000 overstayers are tourists.

That's fine. It may be true.

I was advancing an alternative theory, that many of the 200,000 may be migrant workers from neighbouring countries.

If you don't agree wih that, that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Are most of these overstayers also doing other crimes? If not, why bother? Use the resources to fix road safety instead... I drive 2 hours every day on the world's most dangerous roads and I haven't had my license checked since Songkran... Meanwhile these morons gotta check my passport every 90 days... Oh well...mostly young Thai men dying on the roads anyway....the same ppl who should be fighting for democracy .. sorry for rant lol.

9 hours ago, hobz said:

Are most of these overstayers also doing other crimes? If not, why bother? Use the resources to fix road safety instead... I drive 2 hours every day on the world's most dangerous roads and I haven't had my license checked since Songkran... Meanwhile these morons gotta check my passport every 90 days... Oh well...mostly young Thai men dying on the roads anyway....the same ppl who should be fighting for democracy .. sorry for rant lol.

You are obviously more of a threat to Thailands very existence than the annual heap of bodies 

18 hours ago, oldlakey said:

You are obviously more of a threat to Thailands very existence than the annual heap of bodies 

With my business Visa and work permit?

Ofcourse you think I'm an overstayer. Would make sense.

I'm just disappointed every time they have a crackdown and the crackdown is not for road safety. I spend lots of time on the roads and so do my loved ones and I don't want any of us to get hurt. This should be top priority. But it's not. 

I understand that immigration police is not traffic police... But still... Annoying that nothing gets done about road safety...need to vent.

• 3 weeks later...

I fear they will start burning books and move all the legitimate falangs into Communal Areas soon, a project that was used in Germany in the 1930s.  If a van comes to take you in for questioning Check where the exhaust pipe is connected to !!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived