5 Year Driver License, Korat

Ken

Just for information purposes. A Swedish friend in my village just got his 5 year driving license for car and motorcycle in Korat. We live about 80 KM northwest of Korat and our "normal" District office for obtaining a license is in Bua Yai. The Bua Yai office has shown to be rather unfriendly to Farang and in the past have insisted on things like the address letter being from one's embassy, rather than immigration. They have also been known to have their hand out to bend that "rule". The friend had gotten his first one year licenses in Bua Yai last year.

Anyway, a local policeman informed us that to renew a license we did not have to go back to the Bua Yai office, we could do it in Korat. So my friend, went to Korat Immigration, got his address confirmation letter there for 220 Baht. He then proceeded to the Korat Driving license building in Korat and got his 5 year licenses, all within 30 minutes. And yes, his one year licenses were expired by one day when he applied for the new licences. :o

Wish I had known we could do this several months ago when I got my 5 year licences in Bua Yai. What a hassle. :realangry