The days of skinny Thais are over - Thai women named second fattest in Asia

webfact

The days of skinny Thais are over - Thai women named second fattest in Asia

3am.jpg

Picture: Daily New

Thai women are now officially the second fattest group of people in Asia.

Only Malaysian women tip the scales worse on average.

The head of Thailand's Diabetes' Association painted a grim picture of a nation getting more and more obese.

Poor diet and insufficient exercise are to blame - with diabetes, heart conditions and blocked arteries all rising rapidly as a result.

Wannee Nitthiyanan was speaking to Daily News about the obesity explosion confronting Thailand and its overstretched health care system.

She said that 8,000 people were dying each year in Thailand from diabetes. Figures showed that in the five years from 2009 to 2014 the number with the disease in Thailand went from 3.3 to 4.8 million.

But worst of all today 2 million people don't even know they have the condition that means they are not receiving treatment and can develop other serious conditions.

And 7.7 million are at risk of developing diabetes in the kingdom.

Wannee said that the problem of overweight people was worse in the towns and cities than elsewhere. She called the rise in obesity an explosion.

And the problem was especially prevalent in the female population making Thai women the second fattest group in Asia after Malaysians.

They are also second in the death rate stakes from such diseases as diabetes and heart and artery conditions.

She blamed poor diets and insufficient exercise for the diabetes epidemic that is costing the country tens of billions of baht a year in out-patient and in-patient health care.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-16

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet Thailand is far from being the highest consumer of sugar -- 29.3 grams per person compared to 126.4 grams pp. It is also well down on the consumption of fat. That's the statistical evidence. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest otherwise. Mind you, I don't mind a chubby masseuse -- they seem to be much more fun. 

my new girlfriend works out every day, has abs, weights 100 pounds and is smart as hell. she knows a lot about proper nutrition.

her mother has diabetes and refuses to change her eating habits.

her younger sister is super fat. she showed me a photo of her from just five years ago when she was thin.

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

my new girlfriend works out every day, has abs, weights 100 pounds and is smart as hell. she knows a lot about proper nutrition.

her younger sister is super fat. she showed me a photo of her from just five years ago when she was thin.

So, your gf has the genes to be potentially fat...

Wait till she turns 40, and the genes might win the struggle.

12 minutes ago, trogers said:

So, your gf has the genes to be potentially fat...

Wait till she turns 40, and the genes might win the struggle.

Genes don't make you fat  (despite any potential).  You only get fat by eating more than you burn off through exercise and lifestyle.

20 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Genes don't make you fat  (despite any potential).  You only get fat by eating more than you burn off through exercise and lifestyle.

Tell me again if she would look like her mum as she ages from the middle age point.

Those ladies would tell you, they would get fat just by smelling the food.

Fat from smelling food

Fat genes

my humble opinion ,thais have great upper bodies,arms and shoulders,but the abdomen stretches severely after a child ,unlike any other culture,the legs is where the fat resides..i have seen 40kg women, with the cellulite buildup on the knees ,thighs , calves and butts.very uncommon .compared to Chinese woman who have strong defined legs with amazing calves and thigh muscles...genes

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Sounds like she has another father than her sister ?

i could almost mirror your post with my girl. our girls must be different.:smile:

It's the high testosterone that is keeping her nice and ripped

36 minutes ago, trogers said:

Their high fat diet comes mainly from natural fat, like pork belly.

Thais source of fat comes from cheap processed cooking oil.

Artificial vs natural fats

This is utter nonsense. Philipinos are fast food junkies, eating daily at jollibee and consuming vast amounts of mini stop chicken. 

If they spend half their life eating, what do they expect? Of course a growing number of Thai women are getting fat and ugly, simply because they have no self-control . . . and maybe because they don't have a 'good' man in their life.

I think it can be attributed to lack of activity. Smart phone and facebook. The thumb is the only part of the body that gets regular exercise. When you drop off children at school , gaze around at the alarming number of obese children. Very sad!

Just now, trogers said:

What age group?

Pretty much straiht across the board but i would say 15-50.

I don't really encounter much of the elderly in my day to day. But, i see philipinoes eating much more processed convenience store and fast food than i see thais. The street ffod culture is nowhere near as strong and jollibee itself is a force to be reckoned with.

Call center employees, who i see daily are particularly bad, but i think it is also a funtion of poverty. 

The smount of people who eat ministop fried foods is actually quite shocking.

8 minutes ago, ryane66 said:

I think it can be attributed to lack of activity. Smart phone and facebook. The thumb is the only part of the body that gets regular exercise. When you drop off children at school , gaze around at the alarming number of obese children. Very sad!

Related to that comment and lack of exercise, when I drop my son off at school in the morning, there's a wide 'road' within the school where cars can stop to let kids get out of the car.

But no, most of the parents cause an obstruction by parking as close as possible to the entrance door, to avoid their kids having to walk the fifty metres.

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

Pretty much straiht across the board but i would say 15-50.

I don't really encounter much of the elderly in my day to day. But, i see philipinoes eating much more processed convenience store and fast food than i see thais. The street ffod culture is nowhere near as strong and jollibee itself is a force to be reckoned with.

Call center employees, who i see daily are particularly bad, but i think it is also a funtion of poverty. 

The smount of people who eat ministop fried foods is actually quite shocking.

Fast food in Thailand costs 2-3x street food.

Archived