Chonburi Land Transportation Office Hours

Banana7

The Chonburi Land Transportation Office, over on Highway 7, near Pattaya, state their office is open 8:30-16:30, as indicated on the door. However, that doesn't mean they are fully open for business. In fact, the office will not undertake any transactions which require cash, after 15:30. So you want to pay your plate tax, or do anything that requires a cash payment, it's best to arrive before 15:30.

3 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

You can also  pay your annual road tax and get your sticker at the their desk on Saturday mornings at Big C on Sukumvit by the Western Union office. 

Thanks for the advice. Went last year, and was told to go to the office because all their rectangular pink and blue square stickers, the squares that are attached to bike, were pre-printed with 2060. Last December I needed year 2061 since mine expires in January. I guess they'll only have 2061 and I need a 2062.

If you do go to LTO don't wear shorts that the knob greeter when you enter the admin area reception considers too short for his taste.  He'll turn you away.  Small shops across road rent 2nd hand long leg blue jeans out for that very reason. It was 50thb 3 years ago.

• 11 months later...

Update required please.

I was told that the Motor registration is now done at Central on Saturday morning?

What do I need to do it there?

Mine expires day 7 Nov. 

It would be easier than the alternative drive.

I'm talking the blue windscreen label, plus I believe the compulsory insurance needed also.

I'm happy to report that this Saturday DLT office in Central Festival mall 6th floor, near beach road, was fully functional today. Motorcycle tax was paid (100b) and new certificate was issued. Need to bring green book, government insurance certificate (344B), and emission/safety check certificate (60). Entire process took about 5-10 minutes. One person in front of me had about 10-15 blue and green books to be processed.

Rolled up there Saturday afternoon and the first thing was the compulsory insurance. 

The policy was current but not a full year.

Lady suggested go to 7/11 on Beach road.

* This is the most friendly and efficient one I have ever encountered. 

Plus several had fantastic English language skills. 

Anyway. 

You can choose from six providers and they do it on the spot.

The ONLY issue is an id card is required for them to issue it.

Yes. If you are not Thai 7/11 cannot do the mandated insurance policy. 

I went back to the pop up shop and told the lady.

Because they had already processed the blue book and produced the new label. 

She took a copy of the current policy and used that. 

Saying make sure I get new policy next year. 

Plus the roadworthy test done.

They also can issue plates according to the sign.

I know you need a policy to get the road tax label, but does this mean I'm ok for now?

Because they issued the new window label. 

Or do I have to get a new policy still?

She did say next time get new policy.

Not go and get it now.

25 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Or do I have to get a new policy still?

Normally in my experience the compulsory insurance and tax run out together, how yours got out of sync I don't know..but any way  yes you need to renew your insurance.

got to one of the shops displaying this sign  

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

no need for any ID  just your vehicle documents and money.

see if they can get your tax and insurance dates to match up

( even if it means you loose a few weeks) 

this makes it much easier to remember to do both at the same time and ensure both are valid concurrently.

10 hours ago, johng said:

Normally in my experience the compulsory insurance and tax run out together, how yours got out of sync I don't know..but any way  yes you need to renew your insurance.

got to one of the shops displaying this sign  

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

no need for any ID  just your vehicle documents and money.

see if they can get your tax and insurance dates to match up

( even if it means you loose a few weeks) 

this makes it much easier to remember to do both at the same time and ensure both are valid concurrently.

That's what I tried to do at the pop up shop in Central. 

I paid the tax ten days early. 

Because the enquiry became a renewal. 

She had put the book through her machine and printed the label. 

Then realized that the insurance needed a new policy. 

And went to do the insurance at the 7/11.

Only to find farang cannot do. 

No id card. 

She proceeded to process it and said get new policy next year..

Hence my last question. 

• 1 month later...

The mornings at Pattaya Land Transport are just a madhouse, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with going in the afternoon?  I know with Immigration, there is a huge rush in the early morning, but if you go around 2pm, you can just saunter in and get your business done in about 5-10 minutes, with no crowds at all.   

I'm just needing to do a renewal of my 2 year initial motorbike license, and so I just have to do the vision and reaction tests, etc ... no testing or videos ... so I'm wondering about just showing up at around 2pm, rather then deal with the crazy early morning crowds again.  

Would that work? 

As an additional note, it is abundantly clear that the Pattaya area needs a 2nd Land Transport Office to handle the huge volume of traffic that they get. Has there been any talk of this?  Ideally, a 2nd office handling the Jomtien to Sattahip area would make the most sense. 

1 hour ago, LOSBound2014 said:

I'm just needing to do a renewal of my 2 year initial motorbike license, and so I just have to do the vision and reaction tests, etc ... no testing or videos ...

You still need to go early to get a ticket...even then they may (probably) will tell you to come back at 1pm to watch the video  you also have to make sure to pay before 3.30  the queue can be long.

it can take a long time as I found out in August !!

there is another DLT it Chonburi "proper"  but its  just as busy

https://www.google.com/maps/place/สำนักงานขนส่งจังหวัดชลบุรี/@13.4076127,100.9872079,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d361ad91a4dff:0x34d44a19fbdd0c9!8m2!3d13.4076127!4d100.9893966

What they really need to do is change to an online integrated system of  Tax,Insurance,MoT

(vehicle safety checks)  including doing away with the the present archaic  vehicle registration and licence plate issuing system     this would leave maybe  just checking engine and chassis numbers at ownership transfer  and actual driving tests at the DLT so a drastic reduction.

For example in the UK   they check engine and chassis numbers every year at the "Mot" and changing ownership is  simple no need to  change number plates or visit  a DLT  umpteen times just sign the log book enter new owners details and send it to DVLA  who post a new updated logbook (green/blue book) back to the new owner...its all on computer...

Did my car tax at the rear of the "Regent School" last Tuesday 

All very efficient, Took my Blue book, copy of Government compulsory insurance plus my Passport (not sure if they needed it)

No mention of we wearing short trousers (they were made to measure chinos) so maybe they draw a line at tacky beach attire

My only downside, a Thai girl with  a stinking cold followed me in (and although there were plenty of vacant chairs) came and sat next to me 

Presented me with a shocking cold for Xmas

• 1 month later...

Archived