A third of Thais believe road carnage is fate, conference told

rooster59

A third of Thais believe road carnage is fate, conference told

road carnage.JPG

Image: Daily News

Thais attending a conference on road safety were told that a recent survey indicated that a staggering 32% of adult respondents thought the road carnage was just their fate. 

The conference also announced figures for the annual death toll that did not tally with other numbers claimed earlier in the week that threatened to put Thailand at the top of the tree of deaths around the world.

And the stats for people suffering handicaps was also completely at odds with previously announced figures.

Daily News said in their headline that 15,000 people were dying annually after a government conference was held. This represented 42 families a day losing a loved one.

But earlier in the week other agencies said the figure was at least 22,000 dead.

There were fears this would propel Thailand to be named as the most dangerous place in the world to drive.

Previous figures also spoke of a million handicapped and injured.

The latest conference talked of 5,000 handicapped as a result of accidents - or just 15 a day.

Attendees were also told that 2 billion baht was lost per year because of accidents. Again this was a fraction of previously announced figures.

The conference was organised by the government's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation under the chair of Chayaphon Thitisak.

The death toll was put at 15,488 in 2016.

But perhaps the most revealing statistics came from a survey conducted by Noppadol Kannika of "Superpoll" that asked Thai adults why there were so many road accidents.

While many mentioned driving conditions, road quality and poor drivers,  32.1% said it was just fate.

This however represented a drop from 2009 when more than half thought that way.

The October 2017 poll found that more than three quarters of the Thai population were closely affected by the carnage on the roads. That represents around 50 million people. 

While 96.6% of respondents believed it was time that the government spent more on the issue.

The survey polled 1196 people in 15 provinces. 

Nowhere in the Daily News article was the role of law enforcement, or the lack thereof, mentioned.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-18

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As for the figures on death and injuries, they are clearly more interested in playing down the numbers to avoid that number one most dangerous roads title, rather than being honest and trying to bring the numbers down.

"being honest" not really something the authorities care about too much here.....:thumbsup:

The most absurd matter to be dealt with is that a tally was used to score 'FATE'. Indicates the light heartedness the death of Thais on Thai roads means to the people in charge.

No helmets, talking on the phone, speeding, reckless care to road rules, overloaded vehicles, trucks playing chicken on the road, Bangkok Taxi F1 type driving, buses exceeding speed limits, lack of use of seatbelts and many more does not add up to fate; its called stupidity. If TV wants to report on such incidents in the media, they too need to show more responsibility to cause and affect. Reporting as it is above is narrow minded and contributes to the stupidity that Fate has in road accidents. Go in the hospitals on a weekend night, sit there and watch the effect it has on families and hospital staff. Follow the incidents up two weeks later and let us know what happened to all involved.

But we must not mock those who believe it's fate. That would lead to hurt feelings which evidently seem to be worth more than human lives. 

Was it Mark Twain who said something along the lines of, 'silly ideas cannot survive in a world where they face ridicule'?

While many mentioned driving conditions, road quality and poor drivers,  32.1% said it was just fate.

That is just silly, everyone knows it's not fate, it's luck. I myself have strings on my gearshift, grab handles, mirror and steering wheel. I also have a drawing on my headliner, two Buddhist statues on my dash, as well as some dried flowers on the dash although I'm not sure how much the flowers help. At any rate I am practically invulnerable.....well perhaps I should buy an amulet for myself, then I would be good to go for sure.

Just now, ramrod711 said:

That is just silly, everyone knows it's not fate, it's luck. I myself have strings on my gearshift, grab handles, mirror and steering wheel. I also have a drawing on my headliner, two Buddhist statues on my dash, as well as some dried flowers on the dash although I'm not sure how much the flowers help. At any rate I am practically invulnerable.....well perhaps I should buy an amulet for myself, then I would be good to go for sure.

Don't forget the condom to protect the Little Head...

Tourists should be be warned before they come to Thailand, about driving conditions and also about crossing the road....

Sad to see some Tourists go home in a Box....

as we we all know this is Thailand.... and driving like Demolition Derby is a daily ritual...

Make sure you have your new car blessed. It will then be impossible to have a road accident! That's what my, university educated, Thai friend told me. 

Also keeping your headlights off, well past dark, may help this accident prevention thing! Actually this may be done because some are not sure how much that power costs to run!

"Nowhere in the Daily News article was the role of law enforcement, or the lack thereof, mentioned."

the carnage has nothing to do with what Thais believe.

It has everything to do with corruption.

The Thais know they are free to do what ever they want on the highways because the police don't enforce the law.

20 minutes ago, jaltsc said:
"...32% of adult respondents thought the road carnage was just their fate."

And 100% had no idea that learning How To Drive was an option to Mai Pen Rai.  

Where could one learn how to drive?

To put things a little bit in the right proportions, in 2016 in the USA, 102 persons were killed in traffic, every day.

Nobody in the US makes a problem of that, it seems.

But other causes of violent deaths.....

Karma. The cycle of rebirth is determined by karma, literally "action". In the Buddhist tradition, karma refers to actions driven by intention (cetanā), a deed done deliberately through body, speech or mind, which leads to future consequences. ... Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

Buddha explained that everything is karma.  Please be respectful.  Even if you disagree. 

Friends from around the World will often ask me “Is Thailand dangerous?” The answer is yes. Sorta. The next question invariably is, “Why?” The answer is drivers.

Now let’s look at the Sorta issue. I enjoy taking photos of daily life and have been fortunate enough to have visited many provinces in Thailand which is about the size of Texas. From the streets of Bangkok to the rural countryside, I have wandered and walked and rarely had a problem. Oh, I have met a few nuts and have been yelled at by some villagers, but never really concerned about my safety.

I have been more concerned about locals back in the states. As a former paratrooper with Uncle Sam, my map reading skills are honed and unmatched. Years ago one late afternoon while driving around San Francisco with my Thai family; we somehow got lost. In the Tenderloin district. Had to stop and ask for directions. I was a little concerned. Getting back on the road was safer.

But, I try to avoid being on the roads in Thailand from dusk to dawn. Why? Drivers. They are why Thailand is not safe. It ain’t the roads, it ain’t the weather, it ain’t the vehicles, and it ain’t a buffalo. It’s the drivers. Period. A lack of safety standards and poor enforcement of traffic laws give Thailand the 2nd highest road-fatality rate in the World, according to the World Health Organization.  And their trying damn hard to be #1.

And it is not just the local population. Many tourists will rent a crotch rocket, have a few drinks and go site seeing. What could possibly go wrong?

So stop by and visit Thailand. It is safe. Except for the drivers…

DSC_8640.JPG

Posts in violation of the following have been removed as well as the replies:

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

6 minutes ago, missoura said:

Friends from around the World will often ask me “Is Thailand dangerous?” The answer is yes. Sorta. The next question invariably is, “Why?” The answer is drivers.

Now let’s look at the Sorta issue. I enjoy taking photos of daily life and have been fortunate enough to have visited many provinces in Thailand which is about the size of Texas. From the streets of Bangkok to the rural countryside, I have wandered and walked and rarely had a problem. Oh, I have met a few nuts and have been yelled at by some villagers, but never really concerned about my safety.

I have been more concerned about locals back in the states. As a former paratrooper with Uncle Sam, my map reading skills are honed and unmatched. Years ago one late afternoon while driving around San Francisco with my Thai family; we somehow got lost. In the Tenderloin district. Had to stop and ask for directions. I was a little concerned. Getting back on the road was safer.

But, I try to avoid being on the roads in Thailand from dusk to dawn. Why? Drivers. They are why Thailand is not safe. It ain’t the roads, it ain’t the weather, it ain’t the vehicles, and it ain’t a buffalo. It’s the drivers. Period. A lack of safety standards and poor enforcement of traffic laws give Thailand the 2nd highest road-fatality rate in the World, according to the World Health Organization.  And their trying damn hard to be #1.

And it is not just the local population. Many tourists will rent a crotch rocket, have a few drinks and go site seeing. What could possibly go wrong?

So stop by and visit Thailand. It is safe. Except for the drivers…

DSC_8640.JPG

Great summation.  couldn't have said it better...

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Karma. The cycle of rebirth is determined by karma, literally "action". In the Buddhist tradition, karma refers to actions driven by intention (cetanā), a deed done deliberately through body, speech or mind, which leads to future consequences. ... Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

Buddha explained that everything is karma.  Please be respectful.  Even if you disagree. 

You may very well be correct, but I'm not sure that Karma is, or should be, a substitute for physics. Your 1,000 kg automobile travelling at 100 kmph will not stop in the 3 meters space you leave between you and the car in front of you.

4 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The most absurd matter to be dealt with is that a tally was used to score 'FATE'. Indicates the light heartedness the death of Thais on Thai roads means to the people in charge.

No helmets, talking on the phone, speeding, reckless care to road rules, overloaded vehicles, trucks playing chicken on the road, Bangkok Taxi F1 type driving, buses exceeding speed limits, lack of use of seatbelts and many more does not add up to fate; its called stupidity. If TV wants to report on such incidents in the media, they too need to show more responsibility to cause and affect. Reporting as it is above is narrow minded and contributes to the stupidity that Fate has in road accidents. Go in the hospitals on a weekend night, sit there and watch the effect it has on families and hospital staff. Follow the incidents up two weeks later and let us know what happened to all involved.

...added to which, most Thais NEVER look right when at an intersection or blind corner.

Absurd mentality. Possibly the same percentage linked to a low education level. It is this very lack of education and great faith in amulets to determine road safety, as opposed to practices within their control, that contribute to the carnage.

Just like the Arabs, they drive like maniacs believing it is God's will what happens.

Archived