A third of Thais believe road carnage is fate, conference told

rooster59

So the demonstrable incompetence of the other two-thirds (of drivers) is down to more pragmatic reasons. Such as gross stupidity allied with plain lunacy; aided and abetted, needless to say, by the inability of the relevant authorities to carry through on their oft quoted threats to take concrete action, or to enforce the law.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I not surprised? With an educational system that purposefully keeps 95% of the people uneducated, believing in spirits, that your fate depends on the monarchy, etc., etc. Time for Thailand to catch up with the 19th, 20th, 21st century?

I can hear at night and day how motorbike and car drivers drive and race like maniacs, and no-one stops them doing so. 

46 minutes ago, mortem said:

"The death toll was put at 15,488 in 2016."

How do they count the death toll?

Depending of the countries, the counting can be different and have dramatic effect on the number and so sometime, it is not really representative:

- Some countries do not people only dying at the scene. Those countries minimize as much as possible the published death toll by this way

- Some countries count people who passed away within the 24 hours following the accident regardless of the location (at the scene, hospital, on the way to the hospital, etc...)

- Some countries count people who passed away within a week following the accident regardless of the location (at the scene, hospital, on the way to the hospital, etc...)

- Finally, some countries decided to count people who passed away with a month following the accident regardless of the location (at the scene, hospital, on the way to the hospital, etc...)

Where I come from, the statistics are provided using the last method  (and I think this is the right way to do) and I wonder which one is used here. Can anyone provide (without any sarcasm) the method they use to gather this number? I have my own idea but I would like to be able to compare apple to apple.

Thank you

In Australia as is in most western countries the Coroner decides where, when, how and why a person dies in very accurate detail when possible, that is every death.  This information may not come available till some time after the accident.  In the interim the police will give a very accurate estimate to promote road safety.  This may be adjusted even years later.

Coroner's court are sometimes speculative and often conducted  informally as people giving evidence can be quite emotional, and that includes policemen and women assisting the coroner to sort out the issues at hand.  And even the Coroner themselves can become emotional.  Just sitting in a Coroners Court of a major vehicle accident hearing can be a lesson in life that you will never forget.

6 hours ago, PattayaAngel said:

Bizarrely Thais believe in 'fate' but it's not part of Buddhism at all as 'karma' is dynamic and made up of choices. Choose to drink and drive etc.

Because they weren't able to work it out for themselves, Thailand's borrowed the appearance of a Western facade of law, banking, engineering, statistics, Buddhism   and McDonald's.

However the systems of government, education, higher education, policeing, social welfare, pensions and the Highway Code are all home-grown and doing very nicely - some of these  are  even coming in at #1 in the world in certain respects..

7 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The most absurd matter to be dealt with is that a tally was used to score 'FATE'. Indicates the light heartedness the death of Thais on Thai roads means to the people in charge.

No helmets, talking on the phone, speeding, reckless care to road rules, overloaded vehicles, trucks playing chicken on the road, Bangkok Taxi F1 type driving, buses exceeding speed limits, lack of use of seatbelts and many more does not add up to fate; its called stupidity. If TV wants to report on such incidents in the media, they too need to show more responsibility to cause and affect. Reporting as it is above is narrow minded and contributes to the stupidity that Fate has in road accidents. Go in the hospitals on a weekend night, sit there and watch the effect it has on families and hospital staff. Follow the incidents up two weeks later and let us know what happened to all involved.

Hmmm,...must not be that much of a effect on the Hospital staff !?!? I saw 2 nurses in uniform drive on a motorbike without a helmet !?!?!?

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

Karma. The cycle of rebirth is determined by karma, literally "action". In the Buddhist tradition, karma refers to actions driven by intention (cetanā), a deed done deliberately through body, speech or mind, which leads to future consequences. ... Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

Buddha explained that everything is karma.  Please be respectful.  Even if you disagree. 

So KARMA does not apply if you have no intention to kill the occupants of the other vehicle? This is difficult to explain I guess.

7 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

While many mentioned driving conditions, road quality and poor drivers,  32.1% said it was just fate.

That is just silly, everyone knows it's not fate, it's luck. I myself have strings on my gearshift, grab handles, mirror and steering wheel. I also have a drawing on my headliner, two Buddhist statues on my dash, as well as some dried flowers on the dash although I'm not sure how much the flowers help. At any rate I am practically invulnerable.....well perhaps I should buy an amulet for myself, then I would be good to go for sure.

It's all boils down to numbers. Many more Thais will continue to die on road accidents until the year 2050, so this number 2050 . Well, by 2050 the accident rate will fall to an all time low, because by then the government will do a good job in accident prevention. But not before 2050.

It's all number like the year I was born, why was i not born one year earlier or one year later. At age 70 I will take a holiday in Thailand, the taxi driver thought it's time to go, so he drove very fast decide to take a short cut , drove right across a busy lane, that's it. Finish at age 70, this is the number for me. Until then I will still be walking around because my number is not up yet. Forget your amulets, or flowers. You cannot escape from your number.

The Indians' Vedic of calculating your number is probably the nearest you could get to the answer but they are not foolproof so don't rely on it. They do make mistakes. They could get quite a couple of small things right though that would amuse you. Like he told me the woman I fornicated with is the cousin sister of my wife though she lives very far from my district.I had no knowledge of that neither did she.  He didn't say fornicate he said, "you were having fun without laughing with this woman", what a way to put it!

Well, part of Theravada philosophy is that those who have not reached Nirvana are subject to be repeatedly reborn. So it isn't just 'fate' it's actually in the doctrines of their faith. This is not a criticism of Theravada Buddhism it is just the way it is; the repeated cycle of birth, suffering and death so I don't see why a survey was necessary in the first place.

40 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well, part of Theravada philosophy is that those who have not reached Nirvana are subject to be repeatedly reborn. So it isn't just 'fate' it's actually in the doctrines of their faith. This is not a criticism of Theravada Buddhism it is just the way it is; the repeated cycle of birth, suffering and death so I don't see why a survey was necessary in the first place.

The cycle of rebirth is not specific to Theravada, it is part of all schools of Buddhism.

Having said that, rebirth in Buddhism has little to do with Groundhog Day...one doesn't die and wake up the next day in a bed as if nothing had happened.

How one will be reborn depends on how one will die, not to mention how one has spent one's life.

Dying in car accident, while driving drunk, and killing and wounding a few others in the process, won't do one any good.

As a matter of fact, there will be hell to pay (way to speak) and the concerned individual will be reincarnated in a "lower" form of life, say, a worm...and will have to go through the whole cycle of birth and rebirth again.

Archived