Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

webfact

Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Bang Khun Thian police were called to a condominium in Ekachai Soi 88 in Bangkok on Saturday after reports that a foreigner had shot himself.

In the sixth floor room on a bed they found 82 year old Thomas Edward Bacon (name transliterated from Thai) with a single gunshot wound to the throat from a .38 gun.

On a table was a suicide note. It read: "I don't want to be a burden for anyone to look after".

The victim's wife Thanakorn Lomrat, 54, who owns the condominium, said that her husband was a former policeman. He came to Thailand twenty years ago but his health had deteriorated and he had many illnesses.

Recently he had suffered diabetes that had affected his eyesight and was barely able to walk.

The body was sent for autopsy and the embassy have been informed.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-20

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

It's not the length of the life, it's the quality of it. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

I did this quietly and still do when circumstances permit . . .

Very sad indeed. Hope it wasn't a member of this forum as there have been a few Aussie ex coppers on here.  In a perverse way he took a admirable stance not wanting to be a burden on anybody else . Shows immense bravery to do it the way he went - altho some may disagree. I must admit admiration for him  doing it  because ,perhaps,  one day soon , many of us  will have to  face up to deciding when we have had enough pain , illness and disability that we have had enough and be in a position to say goodbye to all of those we have loved .

Assisted euthanasia is currently being debated in some Australian State parliaments at the moment . Strong arguments on both sides.

47 minutes ago, oilinki said:

This is stupid religion at work again. In most countries no one would question the ending of a painful critical illness of family pet but it's not ok for dear old Dad. Let him rot blind and crippled in diaper filled with his own excrement until god flips the switch. End religion for the sake of humanity. 

17 minutes ago, csabo said:

This is stupid religion at work again. In most countries no one would question the ending of a painful critical illness of family pet but it's not ok for dear old Dad. Let him rot blind and crippled in diaper filled with his own excrement until god flips the switch. End religion for the sake of humanity. 

Well said Sir, you beat me to it regarding not letting an animal suffer, but is ok for a human.

Although I believe I am right in saying that it is not the case here in Thailand, as I have read many times of how hard it is to put down a suffering pet.

Either way, R.I.P. old man.

6 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Shot himself in the throat, unusual

Not the most common place.... but some people shoot from the neck up through the top of the head.  It's very effective 99.6 % of the time. 

Requiescat in pace          ( pace pronounced Pakay....  Latin.....rest in peace... or the short RIP) 

Archived