Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

If I ever have to end it myself, I’ll take a few with me too, a bucket list of people who don’t deserve the oxygen they use...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What gives you the right to be Judge, Jury, and Executioner ? ? 

Some of us are just wondering... 

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

Every policeman has had to learn to deflect verbal abuse.    But a cop with the surname of Bacon must have endured a barrage of snide remarks over the years.   I guess he knew the job was tough when he signed on.

Pride 
Integrity 
Guts.      :-)

7 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm.....it could have been worse...he could have been still “living “ in Australia on the pittance called the age pension.

or worse like US news today again, like so many at the mercy of staff in nursing homes

No hinting of anything fishy here, or any religious beliefs.

But human life has a value, not matter what your age may be.

With love and care, no one should feel as a burden.

Burden's of life can catch up with age, so all the more reason to be properly assessed mentally. People are alert to their blood pressure, heart and general health issues, but often  neglect the mental issue through the years.

If an elderly citizen wishes to leave, so be it,  provided the person is able to proper discernement. And it should be done under dignified medical assistance, perhaps with the family on side ?........ not with a bullet in one's throat !

RIP to the poor chap and his family.

As an ex-police officer I can imagine the mental strain he was under, having spent many years helping with other less fortunate , I am sure like many ex-police the thought of deteriorating into a helpless person is unimaginable . RIP ex-colleague, may you now rest peacefully.  

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

It's not the length of the life, it's the quality of it. 

You are right about quality of life being the most important thing to one suffering from many illnesses and pain that drugs hardly touch.  I have thought about ending it many times, and if not for my religious convictions I probably would have ended my suffering many years ago. I think the thought has been replayed in more people's mind than we will ever know.  I cant walk anymore, my weight is 400 lbs, and all I can think is how will my wife, who is all of 5 feet tall and 110 pounds, going to take care of me? I am all for assisted euthanasia. RIP

33 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No hinting of anything fishy here, or any religious beliefs.

But human life has a value, not matter what your age may be.

With love and care, no one should feel as a burden.

Burden's of life can catch up with age, so all the more reason to be properly assessed mentally. People are alert to their blood pressure, heart and general health issues, but often  neglect the mental issue through the years.

If an elderly citizen wishes to leave, so be it,  provided the person is able to proper discernement. And it should be done under dignified medical assistance, perhaps with the family on side ?........ not with a bullet in one's throat !

RIP to the poor chap and his family.

Catch 22.

From the book. 

You don't have to fly any more missions if you can prove you're insane. However you can't be insane if you are still able to prove that you are insane.

Capt' Yosarian.

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

If I ever have to end it myself, I’ll take a few with me too, a bucket list of people who don’t deserve the oxygen they use...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Your sounding a bit like a loony with an assault rifle, preparing to inflict yet another massacre on folk, as you depart this mortal coil.

2 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Every policeman has had to learn to deflect verbal abuse.    But a cop with the surname of Bacon must have endured a barrage of snide remarks over the years.   I guess he knew the job was tough when he signed on.

He seems to have (to use your term) "signed out" on rather "heroic basis" which deserve anything but disrespect!

RIP

1 hour ago, TechnikaIII said:

This is so sad.

And many of the comments here are true to TV form:  heartless crap

Personally, I thank posters for showing more restraint herein, than is usual for most “suicide” threads, and offer condolences to any family or friends that might be reading this, hoping that you take comfort in the fact that Thomas is no longer suffering..... RIP

Police Ode As the sun surely sets: dawn will see it arise, for service, above self, demands its own prize. You have fought the good fight: life’s race has been run, and peace, your reward, for eternity begun. And we that are left, shall never forget, rest in peace friend and colleague, for the sun has now set. We will remember. We will remember. Hasten the dawn.

2 hours ago, xen said:

Very sad indeed. Hope it wasn't a member of this forum as there have been a few Aussie ex coppers on here.  In a perverse way he took a admirable stance not wanting to be a burden on anybody else . Shows immense bravery to do it the way he went - altho some may disagree. I must admit admiration for him  doing it  because ,perhaps,  one day soon , many of us  will have to  face up to deciding when we have had enough pain , illness and disability that we have had enough and be in a position to say goodbye to all of those we have loved .

Assisted euthanasia is currently being debated in some Australian State parliaments at the moment . Strong arguments on both sides.

Didn’t one State Government introduce legislation a few years ago but it was blocked by Canberra?

Also I recall there was a Dr Hinscke? in the Northern Territory who promoted euthenasia until he was hounded out by the religious groups and representatives of the Nanny State.

4 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Didn’t one State Government introduce legislation a few years ago but it was blocked by Canberra?

Also I recall there was a Dr Hinscke? in the Northern Territory who promoted euthenasia until he was hounded out by the religious groups and representatives of the Nanny State.

It’s something you need to handle with great care ... or else some old folk will be legally disposed of by evil relatives. So objections will not just be on religious grounds.

2 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Old age can become a difficult to digest pigswill. It can create a ham-fisted mentality and lead to what some might perceive as losing one's rasher-nality. Other's might view it as completely understandable due to living a life that feels like the deranged floor of a pigsty, being trampled and trotted on at every turn. It's subjective isn't it? So neither perspective is necessarily a porky. 

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

It's not the length of the life, it's the quality of it. 

Turkey basting bag, Helium tank, hose, duct tape.  You don't fight when air is displaced by Helium.  RIP, you chose your time.  Hope I can be as brave when my time comes.

Archived