Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

webfact

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

It’s something you need to handle with great care ... or else some old folk will be legally disposed of by evil relatives. So objections will not just be on religious grounds.

I totally agree it’s not a simple propersition by any means and as a retired lawyer would accept that whatever safeguards you build in some charletan will try and bypass them, there are enough trying to do it while you are still alive.

Notwithstanding that situation I have seen a few people suffer over the years, one a very close friend,  who would have liked to end their misery and have made it quite clear that I don’t want to be kept alive as a vegetable or by means of being pumped full of chemicals.

That however is only my choice.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a subject that Western people seem to like thinking about, but to choose your time, at 82, when one's life has become too much of a struggle, is an adult choice which should be available to everyone, in an ideal world.

I wouldn't choose a gun, though. What an image to leave for your family. But then again, the poor guy could hardly walk so maybe didn't have many options.

RIP

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Very very Sad indeed! Getting old and losing the ability to look after yourself simply sucks which ever way you look at it! 

..well he did have the option to return to a Nursing Home in Australia..appears he chose here instead..RIP Lawman...i see parts of your life displayed on your living room walls.

15 minutes ago, Spock said:

Very sad and very brave. Killing yourself is not easy. I am glad that he succeeded and went out on his own terms. He has my empathy and respect for his actions. 

..but sadly a pity he chose the way he did..his wife or others had to find him that way when with a little more planning it could have been less of a shock..RIP Lawman.

6 minutes ago, tandor said:

..but sadly a pity he chose the way he did..his wife or others had to find him that way when with a little more planning it could have been less of a shock..RIP Lawman.

In such a mental state, rationality is not existing....

6 hours ago, oilinki said:

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

It's not the length of the life, it's the quality of it. 

Agreed. I hope I have many more healthy years (contrary to the heart issues hanging over my head). But part of the reason retiring far from my Sons was not wanting to become a burden on them (OK, some doubt that I would not be put in a nursing home). Still, slip me the pill at the own and I would be greatful. Not into pain or being a burden. Fortunately I have no fear of dying, just not rushing it while living healthy.

They have to clean up the place it would be messy. With Assisted Suicide I believe that gentleman would most probably had more peace of mind at his last moment in this world.

If you google Jainism Suicide in India, you will see how Jainism practice leaving this world in a peaceful state of mind.

After all you are leaving this world and you don't even get the benefit of leaving it in a peaceful state of mind, you had to shit all over the bed, piss everywhere, blood spurt all over the bed. Not a good way to go. Especially your mind you didn't have peace of mind. How modern scientifically advanced world has failed us.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. I hope I have many more healthy years (contrary to the heart issues hanging over my head). But part of the reason retiring far from my Sons was not wanting to become a burden on them (OK, some doubt that I would not be put in a nursing home). Still, slip me the pill at the own and I would be greatful. Not into pain or being a burden. Fortunately I have no fear of dying, just not rushing it while living healthy.

My father died prematurely but my mother is going strong. Personally, I would never consider looking after any of them as a burden as I wouldn’t have got here without them .. you might find that your sons think along the same lines. 

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Well said Sir, you beat me to it regarding not letting an animal suffer, but is ok for a human.

Although I believe I am right in saying that it is not the case here in Thailand, as I have read many times of how hard it is to put down a suffering pet.

Either way, R.I.P. old man.

Logic.  Some people get it some people don't.  I literally just discussed this with my wife and she agreed, helping end the pet's suffering is good.  I said what about a grandmother (keep in mind her mother was 113 years old when she died)? She could not give me an answer.  I told her by logical standards that means you love your pet more than your grandmother.  Her head swirled.  I don't get it.  I hope when I am 113 I can still reach my pistol.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Catch 22.

From the book. 

You don't have to fly any more missions if you can prove you're insane. However you can't be insane if you are still able to prove that you are insane.

Capt' Yosarian.

Catch 22.  Absolutely right.

No messes. Put down a tarp first.

No one IMO wants to be a burden to another, having backside wiped, spoon fed, turned and twisted to have the sheets changed. What this fellow did was kind, to himself and those around him. If he could of done it cleaner - then great, if not, it is what it is.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, madusa said:

They have to clean up the place it would be messy. With Assisted Suicide I believe that gentleman would most probably had more peace of mind at his last moment in this world.

If you google Jainism Suicide in India, you will see how Jainism practice leaving this world in a peaceful state of mind.

After all you are leaving this world and you don't even get the benefit of leaving it in a peaceful state of mind, you had to shit all over the bed, piss everywhere, blood spurt all over the bed. Not a good way to go. Especially your mind you didn't have peace of mind. How modern scientifically advanced world has failed us.

Unless you have the cooperation of everyone around you, the method of starving yourself to death will not work - especially here in Thailand. You could end up in hospital in a semi-coma, being drip-fed until your insurance expires. 

A bullet in the brain is quick and easy (well, easier than most methods).

I recall reading a couple of news stories of foreigners joining a gun club then committing suicide at the club - no mess at home and no suspicion of being "bumped off" by the missus.

That will be my choice if I am ever unfortunate enough need it.

9 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

If I ever have to end it myself, I’ll take a few with me too, a bucket list of people who don’t deserve the oxygen they use...

555, I used to work in a profession with staff that were both armed and prone to suicide. I would often tell them if they got the urge to exit early see me first for a few "requests".  I would gladly make it worth the families while.

Chances are he was one of those, who had his Thai (Ferang) Health Insurance Cancelled, after ditching his Insurance back home to take out the Thai Coverage.

That of course was "Withdrawn" and many Old Ferang Folks, are now unable to pay, unless they sell their home and put their Thai Family out on the street. 

Took the only course of action he could see open to him.

I am only Speculating...RIP "Old Cobber."

Chances are he was one of those, who had his Thai (Ferang) Health Insurance Cancelled, after ditching his Insurance back home to take out the Thai Coverage.
That of course was "Withdrawn" and many Old Ferang Folks, are now unable to pay, unless they sell their home and put their Thai Family out on the street. 
Took the only course of action he could see open to him.
I am only Speculating...RIP "Old Cobber."
oz has free Medicare. all he had to do was fly back obviously at a time when he started getting sick.

residancy reastablished via a condo lease or even renting a room and his life would have been saved.

A sad end, but the reality is he avoided a sadder one. That of ever increasing incapacity and likely suffering.

Also considerate, as it is those around who suffer too!

Beware, it can be unpleasant here if one doesn't have the resources for medical assistance and a good hearted person to physically assist and care.

(Sorry, morose of me, but just seen similar).

14 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Police have one of the toughest jobs on the planet. They are dealing daily with lowlifes that will scream harassment if they put a foot wrong. A job for brave people, and he took the brave way out. RIP.

yes,  especially in Auss now .... drug addicts are rampant,  these lowlifes are robbing, killing and destroying innocent folks just going about their business. Just look at Melbourne & the GC.

Archived