Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

webfact

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, USPatriot said:

We not out on his terms.... I also won't be a burden to anyone.

As for me   a few drinks a sunset then off to the bottom of the ocean.

I hope you haven’t shared that with any Thai relatives!

the uncles may turn up to assist.... which would leave us all speculating.

19 hours ago, USPatriot said:

We not out on his terms.... I also won't be a burden to anyone.

As for me   a few drinks a sunset then off to the bottom of the ocean.

As I have told my dive buddies, sunset heading out for a night dive with a couple of drinks in me, overweight and overboard.  Nitrogen Narcosis will keep me feeling warm and happy all the way down.  Then they spoiled it all by reminding me that without a body, it takes much more time for the family to collect on the life Ins.  I hope to be able to rationally choose my time.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:15 PM, oilinki said:

I hope assisted euthanasia would become a common practise anywhere in the world. It would allow dignifying and painless departure for those who wish to end their journey. 

Some countries already offer assisted suicide as a service, but it's still a rarity.

It's not the length of the life, it's the quality of it. 

Don't think assisted service will happen in a Buddist country.....

2 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

As I have told my dive buddies, sunset heading out for a night dive with a couple of drinks in me, overweight and overboard.  Nitrogen Narcosis will keep me feeling warm and happy all the way down.  Then they spoiled it all by reminding me that without a body, it takes much more time for the family to collect on the life Ins.  I hope to be able to rationally choose my time.

Me too   I had a friend with epilepsy walking by his pool when he had a sizure, he fell in the pool and drowned someone got him out of the pool   no heart beat he was dead. Paramedicso got his heart going again and he is fine.  He did say he held his breath as long as he  could and the big reliefe was taking in the water heater said that a few seconds later he blacked out and woke up when they gave him cpr. 

After almost being crushed by a semi truck aka lorry I'm not afraid to die   like you it would be nice if it is on my terms

It's a case of being careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. The problem with legalized assisted suicide is that the nanny state will inevitably want to get in on the act, and as the demands placed on now-nationalized medical resources for the aged continue to grow, the lines between "assisted" and "encouraged" and "imposed" will gradually begin to blur.

RIP to a dedicated, genuine and humble public servant who thought to put the needs of others before his own, even in death. 

It's a case of being careful what you wish for and the law of unintended consequences. The problem with legalized assisted suicide is that the nanny state will inevitably want to get in on the act, and as the demands placed on now-nationalized medical resources for the aged continue to grow, the lines between "assisted" and "encouraged" and "imposed" will gradually begin to blur.

RIP to a dedicated, genuine and humble public servant who thought to put the needs of others before his own, even in death. 

There are countries, and regions of the US that have assisted suicide laws enacted - haven't heard of a rapid decline in the geriatric population in those places.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 12:46 AM, InMyShadow said:

oz has free Medicare. all he had to do was fly back obviously at a time when he started getting sick.

residancy reastablished via a condo lease or even renting a room and his life would have been saved.

maybe he'd spent all his money on the Local Family and didn't have enough money, let alone anything else to go "home" to?

Retired Aussie policeman shot himself because he "didn't want to be a burden"

1pm.jpg.4c5c9b6f7deb5e1ba5e600b2c542de70.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Bang Khun Thian police were called to a condominium in Ekachai Soi 88 in Bangkok on Saturday after reports that a foreigner had shot himself.

In the sixth floor room on a bed they found 82 year old Thomas Edward Bacon (name transliterated from Thai) with a single gunshot wound to the throat from a .38 gun.

On a table was a suicide note. It read: "I don't want to be a burden for anyone to look after".

The victim's wife Thanakorn Lomrat, 54, who owns the condominium, said that her husband was a former policeman. He came to Thailand twenty years ago but his health had deteriorated and he had many illnesses.

Recently he had suffered diabetes that had affected his eyesight and was barely able to walk.

The body was sent for autopsy and the embassy have been informed.

Source: Daily News
  tvn_logo.jpg&key=c0462a795211d2ee26e4aec14494dc36e676f591189aadad96b38e269ae09239 -- [emoji767] Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-20

Better he only shots himself vs taking out others (i.e. family, friends, unknowns).

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 11/19/2017 at 11:53 PM, lemonjelly said:

If I ever have to end it myself, I’ll take a few with me too, a bucket list of people who don’t deserve the oxygen they use...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you seriously mean those words...... You are dangerous and deranged.......... Hoping you were just making jest, joking.......

If serious that would be a case of you 'putting yourself' right up there with God......... And it is not up to 'any of us' to be the 'judge and jury' and select when it is time for a 'fellow Human' to die............

On 11/21/2017 at 12:46 AM, InMyShadow said:

oz has free Medicare. all he had to do was fly back obviously at a time when he started getting sick.

residancy reastablished via a condo lease or even renting a room and his life would have been saved.

Yes, Oz has free Medicare. However, it is the wait times that are the problem. Unless the condition is immediately life-threatening ( in which case he would not be allowed on a plane ) one can wait 12 - 18 months for surgery.

Archived