Lost Passport, new passport registered as lost/stolen by Immigration

Hi, just wondering if anyone lost or had their passport stolen. I registered mine lost with the local police station in January. Got my new passport and Immigration transferred the stamps and I did my late 90 day report. No problems then. I did my extension of stay in June, again no problems. I recently did 90 day reporting and they told me that my passport is lost/stolen and there is an alert on their screen. They told me to go back the the police station and get them to delete the original report I mage in January. The police scratched their heads. So, I went back to immigration and was told that I should staple the police report into  my passport because they are unable to get my passport clear on their database. "Don't worry, many people have this on their passport" I was told. 

So, my question is, are there any people out there that have the same or similar "alert" status on their passport and have you had problems dealing with immigration as a result. I'm also concerned about problems trying to leave and re enter the country.

Thanks in advance for any info.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't understand how there could be an alert for your old passport being lost or stolen if you are using your new passport at immigration.

Hi Joe, this is my concern. The police don't understand why immigration database has an alert on my new passport. The police don't even know my new passport number. Immigration say they can't do anything and advised me to keep the police report in my passport. They said other foreigners have to do the same. I'm trying to find out if this is the norm.

9 minutes ago, teacherofwoe said:

They said other foreigners have to do the same. I'm trying to find out if this is the norm.

I don't think it is the norm. I have never heard of it happening before.

The only way it could possibly happen IMO would be if the passport numbers were the same or perhaps if immigration linked your old and new passports.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think it is the norm. I have never heard of it happening before.

The only way it could possibly happen IMO would be if the passport numbers were the same or perhaps if immigration linked your old and new passports.

The passport numbers are very different, so I think it is something Immigration has done. Can I call Immigration Head Office in Bangkok or do I have to deal exclusively with CM?

1 minute ago, 007 RED said:

I suspect that when you went to immigration to get your 'stamps'  put into your new passport the IO asked why you had a new passport and he/she would have linked he old/new passport on their system with a note that the old was stolen.

It is possible that he/she entered that the new passport was stolen in error, hence the problem.  Local IO's will be unable to correct the mistake.  You will need to contact immigration HQ and request the data be corrected.

Thanks. So my best next move is to contact Immigration Bangkok?

2 minutes ago, teacherofwoe said:

Thanks. So my best next move is to contact Immigration Bangkok?

You need to talk to somebody at Chiang Mai immigration that understands what the problem is. They should be able to contact somebody to sort it out.

11 minutes ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Happened to me, U.S. passport lost-misplaced, made the police report, got a new passport.  Then, on the next couple of trips to Laos, via Nong Khai, the IOs just mentioned my lost passport.  Not a problem at all, just a passing comment.

Mac

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I lost my UK PP a few years ago and replaced it with a new one.  Immigration wanted a copy of the police report for their files when they added the various stamps to my new PP, but never been asked about it since, and have left the country a few times.

Sounds like immigration obviously have the details of the new passport and link it to the loss of and details of the old one, and it is on your permanent record.....

I can imagine that bringing up a flag, especially if the old number gets used again! Perhaps some confusion as to what their computer is telling them.

Difficult dealing with the police here!

Edited by jacko45k

• 1 year later...

So I just went through immigration leaving Nong Khai and going to Vientiane.  I plan to return with a non o but apparently I was flagged because last year when I was waiting for my new passport from Chiang Mai US embassy I ended up losing the old one.  I had to get a police report to take to immigration before they transferred my visa stamp to my new passport however it seems the old police report is in the immigration system.  The ladies said It May be difficult to come back into Thailand now and I have a 1 month old I need to get back to ASAP.  Immigration took the police report when I got my stamp transferred January 2018 and I have gone out of country on holiday without problem or mention of a flag.  I have not heard of or had any other issues with my passport.  Any advice or help hugely appreciated.

43 minutes ago, Ajvat37 said:

The ladies said It May be difficult to come back into Thailand now and I have a 1 month old I need to get back to ASAP.

I would not worry about what they said if you have not had problems entering the country before using your new passport. It sounds like nonsense to me.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2019 at 9:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

I would not worry about what they said if you have not had problems entering the country before using your new passport. It sounds like nonsense to me.

Well it turns out interpol and thai immigration have recently integrated their systems.  Interpol has my new passport flagged and on my attempt to return to Thailand I was denied entry.  Being Friday afternoon I now have to wait until Tuesday to go to the embassy here in Vientiane to attempt to sort this out.  So much for. My hotel and plane ticket I already bought back to Chiang Mai.  I believe the immigration official had the ability to still stamp me in however she refused

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Did you wai the immigration officer?

If you don't they sometimes give you the runaround just out of spite. 

Yes I did, the lady was just not interested in helping.  She knew she was screwing me over big time with it being Friday afternoon.  I explained I had a kid, bought my tickets home already, and I have a 5 yr Thai drivers license with my current passport number on it.  I don’t think I could have done anything different I just have to hope this is resolved Tuesday.  The American embassy after hours hotline was equally unhelpful, basically saying someone needs to see me in person to verify my identity.  It all is rather ridiculous as I feel like it is an obvious error which can be deduced from just looking at my visa stamps and the transfer stamp.  Also thai immigration wrote USED on the non o visa I got yesterday in Vientiane even though I was never admitted to Thailand so I’m pretty sure they won’t honor that when I do finally return.  It’s complete rubbish and has left a real bad taste in my mouth about staying in Thailand.

Edited by Ajvat37