Renew child's UK passport from Thailand

To assist a friend...I have completed all the necessary application forms for the renewal of her children's  UK passports including having the photos endorsed. I have looked at the Website but find it difficult to follow. She want to pay the fee and fee for courier. Can someone let me know in simple steps to progress. thank you

As far as I am aware, she can only pay using a credit or debit card, in the case of a debit card it would have to be issued in the UK, as many problems reported of those trying to use Thai issued debit cards.

You say using a courier, do you mean an agent to submit the application at VFS Trendy House and collect it later?

This is the payment form needed.

UK Passport Payment Form.pdf

Thank you for your advice.. I have found that the process of renewing a UK passport from Thailand is not easy and requires at least two trips to Bangkok. I am glad I am an Aussie.. Not so hard.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Presumably you've already accessed this website:-

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/child

The applications do have to be submitted in person (although I don't believe it's necessary for the child/ren to attend). The applicant has to make an appointment with VFS to submit the application. Once there, the process is quick and easy. When the new passport is available for connection you get an email or phone call (we got both) and you then have to attend (no appointment necessary) with the old passport, which they cut the corners off.

If the child is dual national and also has a Thai passport, that has to be submitted for inspection with the application along with copies of every page. The UK Passport Office now requires both passports to have the same names.

It certainly is a pain to have to both submit the application and collect the passport in person. However, you can send a third party with a letter of authorisation to collect the new passport. Alternatively, in the Pattaya area there are two agencies which will both submit the application and collect the new passport, for 5000 Baht per head (plus the renewal fee) - but you still have to follow the methods for paying the fee as mentioned by Mattd above. I don't know whether there are similar accredited agencies in other parts of the country.

1 hour ago, Haso said:

Thank you for your advice.. I have found that the process of renewing a UK passport from Thailand is not easy and requires at least two trips to Bangkok. I am glad I am an Aussie.. Not so hard.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If if you are averse to traveling (twice) to Bangkok you can pay an agent to process for you.

• 3 months later...

Can you please answer these questions, how much is the renewal, my son is 14yrs old, government advice line £46, website £76.01.

Documents, government advice line, old passport, 2 photos, application forms. Website, same but also proof of address, non mention having to take his Thai passport.

Thanks for any help.

12 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

Can you please answer these questions, how much is the renewal, my son is 14yrs old, government advice line £46, website £76.01.

Documents, government advice line, old passport, 2 photos, application forms. Website, same but also proof of address, non mention having to take his Thai passport.

Thanks for any help.

Renewal of a minor's passport from Thailand costs £76.01, inclusive of courier fees. The £46 figure to which you refer appears to be the corresponding renewal cost from the UK.

Yep, proof of your son's address is, indeed, required for some pointlessly bureaucratic HMPO reason, despite the fact that they will not send his replacement passport direct to him or you by courier.

The requirement for his Thai passport is covered in the following link:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-supporting-documents-group-3

Remember if you’re a dual national, you must send a colour photocopy of your non-UK passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application. You may be asked to show your non-British passport at a later date.

• 11 months later...

Reading this topic and just read all the Govt guidelines from the links (thankyou) as I need to renew my 6 year old sons passport which expires in June.

I'm puzzled by the supporting documentation for his address, he lives with his Thai mother, not me.

In Table A in the Govt website it states one of the following :

Please provide one of the following:• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority• educational record eg school report• employment record eg official letter from your employer• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department• medical/health card• voter’s card• immigration documents

So not her ID card, she doesn't have a visa or residence permit, what documents did other forum members use please ?

3 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

I got his school to write a letter stating he studied there. If you are making the application the proof of address can come from you, eg a bank statement with the address on if you have a Thai account.

Thanks, but the list doesn't include bank statements surprisingly.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, YorkshireTyke said:

Thanks, but the list doesn't include bank statements surprisingly.

I know. At first I put in the house book as this is the only thing with his name and address on but they would not accept it. They sent me a list of things that qualified, though non were any good for a 15yr old boy. A called them and they said I could put my bank statement in, by this time I was already back in the UK. Eventually got the school to write a letter.

1 hour ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

I know. At first I put in the house book as this is the only thing with his name and address on but they would not accept it. They sent me a list of things that qualified, though non were any good for a 15yr old boy. A called them and they said I could put my bank statement in, by this time I was already back in the UK. Eventually got the school to write a letter.

OK, thanks, don't get bank statements anyway here.

Archived