"Swensen's Angel" becomes internet hero after wiping ice cream off a farang's feet!

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chama said:

This is only one example of the wonderful heart and spirit that most Thais possess. Too often we hear of the unsavory elements of the Thai society and it is easy to forget that the good far out number the bad.

I agree with you, but I also think the good  outweigh the bad in many, maybe most, societies.  What depresses me is how many TV members denigrate a simple action of kindness.  But that's a good example of the many bitter and twisted, expat, keyboard warriors of TV for you.  With any luck they're a dying breed.  

13 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You really think a waitress wiping food off your feet is common courtesy in the West?  We must have been going to different cafes!

Not Food, but melting and greasy icecream on both the person and the floor....

Also in the west is rather rare to observe a person in a wheelchair without a Companion in a cafe - a small, but not insignificant difference...??...;)

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

For sure, absolutely. ...But again and again another mis-use of the word "Hero"

Wiping ice cream off a man's feet does not a hero make.

People who risk or give their lives attempting to save another, or others....now they deserve the title.

A real hero would turn in his grave if he/she could witness who are being referred to "Heros" in today's world?

Agreed, I believe the two commonly abused terms are Hero and Patriot. 

41 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Agreed.  Imagine that at your local Maccy Ds Balham branch.  I think not.  You'll be lucky if they throw up on you.

We are talking about a Swensens in Thailand, which is completely different to a McDonalds in a low class area of London

35 minutes ago, mikosan said:

What depresses me is how many TV members denigrate a simple action of kindness.  But that's a good example of the many bitter and twisted, expat, keyboard warriors of TV for you.  With any luck they're a dying breed.  

You seem to have missed the point, us keyboard warriors are not denigrating the actual act, we are merely saying that its not a news worthy story , maybe she deserve to be "employee of the month", but calling her an angel of mercy is just ridiculous

For sure, absolutely. ...But again and again another mis-use of the word "Hero"

Wiping ice cream off a man's feet does not a hero make.

Well, it's not like anyone was actually calling her a hero.  The news site is saying she "became and internet hero", which is really a colloquialism for someone being popular on the internet for doing something good.  Not the same as saying what she did was a heroic act of bravery.

A real hero would turn in his grave if he/she could witness who are being referred to "Heros" in today's world?

I can't think of anyone who could genuinely wear the label 'hero' and would actually be bothered by something so petty.  I would question their hero status if they did.

1 minute ago, csabo said:

These girls (sorry to say never seen a guy do this job) are the best.  I am routinely impressed by Swenson's staff and happy to support them.  Many could learn from them.

That's good to know. I can't get past their product. Wouldn't eat it in the USA and wouldn't eat it here. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

That's good to know. I can't get past their product. Wouldn't eat it in the USA and wouldn't eat it here. 

Try the mangosteen ice.  Delicious.  Also, I don't routinely eat their product but the wife and her boys like it and I am happy to provide it for them and support the attentive staff.

3 minutes ago, csabo said:

Try the mangosteen ice.  Delicious.  Also, I don't routinely eat their product but the wife and her boys like it and I am happy to provide it for them and support the attentive staff.

I see as a place for children's parties and such. Last time I ate in a Swensons I was a child myself! Nothing wrong with that but not my scene and if I want a frozen dessert, call me a snob, I'd rather have GELATO. 

I see is as a place for children's parties. Nothing wrong with that but not my scene and if I want a frozen dessert, call me a snob, I'd rather have GELATO. 

Although this thread isnt about your personal taste in ice cream

Who cares what they describe her as?

As usual the crass dirty old man comments, the dismissals of anything positive and the need to somehow find a downside of a genuinely nice gesture.

Well done to her. She deserves any accolades she receives and most of all I’m sure the disabled guy appreciated it even if miserable fookers on here didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I see is as a place for children's parties. Nothing wrong with that but not my scene and if I want a frozen dessert, call me a snob, I'd rather have GELATO. 

Right.  All gelato is the same and equally better than anything Swenson's has to offer.  Gotcha, I will stop going there this moment.  

41 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, it's not like anyone was actually calling her a hero.  The news site is saying she "became and internet hero", which is really a colloquialism for someone being popular on the internet for doing something good.  Not the same as saying what she did was a heroic act of bravery.

I can't think of anyone who could genuinely wear the label 'hero' and would actually be bothered by something so petty.  I would question their hero status if they did.

Agreed - she is probably embarrassed by all the attention it has caused, but I hope that management take notice! As it is, they have received some good publicity, and quite a few positive comments on here, which makes a very welcome change to the usual negative comments

6 minutes ago, csabo said:

Right.  All gelato is the same and equally better than anything Swenson's has to offer.  Gotcha, I will stop going there this moment.  

That's pretty funny. I get your point but really Swenson's does not sell premium quality ice cream and either does Baskin Robbins.

I also like premium quality ice cream. That New Zealand place closed down but that stuff was great. 

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

Agreed - she is probably embarrassed by all the attention it has caused, but too many people are ready to belittle this act. I'm from the UK, and some people won't even stop if you ask them for directions - maybe too many beggars about!!

No one is belittling the act, no one has criticized the act .

Its the reaction to the act that people are being critical of.

Labeling her as being a hero and an angel of mercy !!!!!

Just now, Kadilo said:

Seriously. ? Reading this annoys you? You must be one angry person. 

Trivial everyday occurrences , turned into National/World headlines ,does annoy me because its so mundane

A waitress picking up some ice cream that someone had dropped !!!!

Thats an everyday occurrence and theres no need for a newspaper report

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It was a polite thing to do.

But if she's an angel then I'm also an angel. (Low bar.)

I held the elevator open for an old lady the other day.

Where's my medal? 

But did you wipe any s**t off her feet?

Archived