Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an almost identical accident a couple of years back - difference was i was indicating, no damage to my vehicle and pretty much the same scrapes to the bike rider as this one, i got out and asked if he was okay and that i would call my insurance to help.......he got up and said "sorry sorry, my fault, i did not see you" picked up his bike and buggered off....correct thing to do IMO!!

57 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Thailand rule #1, Farang is always in the wrong. Rule #2, motorbikes always have the right of way, even on the pavement. Pay the fine and go on with life. 

Certainly seems to be the way.....never hit a motorcycle!

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

What is it with westerners and the need for gigantic pick-up trucks. 

A common accident in Thailand given that motorbikes are supposed to travel to the left. As a car driver in Thailand its one of the first things you pick up, check that blind spot for bikes. A lot of Thais will come to a stop, check, then turn left.

If you are going to drive a gigantic pick-up, just to go to BigC once a week, be proactive and realise you are sharing the road with hundreds of small motorbikes.

That's a pretty smuk statement Peter42, each day I have to drive 4 kids to school, 25 kilometres each way in a pick up, the reason I chose a pickup is because it serves multi purposes as opposed to a sedan.

I keep an eye out for bikes, pedestrians, cats, dogs and the like, you have too, the problem here in Thailand is, its pretty much anything goes, just today the school teacher gave me clear instructions to proceed and turn left, I didn't see the little girl on my left waiting at the pedestrians, i.e. she was clearly in my blind spot, she proceeded, I just caught a glance of her and applied the brakes hard with my daughter who was sitting forward in the back (always told not to) but anxious to get out, went face first straight into the back of the head rest. The teacher freaked and looked at the girl to say as if; what are you doing, but his hand gesture could be taken for her to walk, i.e. half the time most Thai's giving traffic instructions are in another world, some, when there is two or three of them, giving conflicting instructions.

The bike in my opinion as an experience high performance bike rider of many years, was going to fast, bike riders have a care unto themselves to pay attention, i.e. read what the driver of the vehicle in front of him is doing or face instant death. Just the other day I had a cop come up my inside on his bike, he was travelling, I noticed the sun was on us, as I drive with dark sunglasses, he wasn't and the car in front had slowed, no tail lights, then I see a car turning right in front of the car that was slowing, and I pressed my horn hard getting the cops attention with his bikes nose taking a dive from breaking hard, as he knew something was wrong, then the car turned right into his path, would have sent him smack straight into the side of the car.

The driver in this video was slowing, that would tell anyone who is riding a bike that he is up to something and the first thing I learnt when riding a bike on the road was, always, yes ALWAYS ride to the right of the vehicle, make sure the driver has you in his right side mirror, never, yes NEVER go up the inside, my brother did that once, ended up going through a shop fronts window after he hit a parking sign with his leg which spun him around and into it, i.e. the car in front of him decided all of a sudden to pull left to park without a blinker, brother broke his tibia, both arms and fractured two discs, lucky to be a live, but the pain he suffered with the rods in his leg and arms and the disc pain drove him to alcohol as the pain killers didn't work and the alcohol eventually took him.

Clearly the bike riders fault here, although I will agree with you that you have to drive differently here in Thailand to accommodate all the loose canons on the motorbikes who have zero training, i.e. have no way of knowing anything else but go go go, and he is lucky he didn't hit his head hard on the ground as wearing no helmet means instant death, besides, the face marks don't detract from his ugly face 555

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Motocycles have to keep lept and  that's what this motocy-driver did.

The pickup didn't use his indicators (like no Thai will do) so it's his fault....fallang has to pay.

Yes, people dont seem to realise that its the law for bikes to travel to the left, you can get a ticket for not doing so. Indicator or no indicator, you dont turn left across the path of a bike travelling were it is legally supposed to be travelling.

And the police will enforce the bikes right of way every time.

This would suggest the bike rider is in the wrong.....

The Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, Section 44 clearly states:
When overtaking, the driver shall overtake on the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side 
lane promptly. 
Section 45 further states: 
No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless: 
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn 
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

5 minutes ago, chaiyapoon said:

I always try to move over as far as I can to the kerb when traffic permits blocking off motorcycles trying to undertake when turning left.Helps but  nothing is ever foolproof here.

Sometimes you have to as i have that problem when trying to turn onto the main rd from the mall

As another poster mentioned you have to merge in with them

So tell me this ! If I am trying to get onto the main rd with having to watch for a gap (since the traffic is like a pack of ants) which requires 100% attention to look to the right, then all of a sudden the opportunity to dart out into the kerb side lane presents itself (then wife shouts motor bike ), who would be at fault if I was to knock one of them of.

I watch both sides as I would be there all day missing my chance to turn left 

Wish people would stop making excuses for the motorcyclist.

All vehicles are supposed to keep left unless manouevering.

LAND TRAFFIC ACT BE.2522

1.    Use of Roadways

Section 33 (500B)
[When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)
[If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:
a. there is obstruction on the road
b. the road is prescribed as one-way
c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction
d. when overtaking another vehicle
e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

2.   Overtaking and Passing

Section 44 (500B)
A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.

[When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly

Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

7 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Wish people would stop making excuses for the motorcyclist.

Please go to the police station and ask them to read this, they will still come out on the side of the motorcycle! so its not really making excuses its accepting reality.

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Please go to the police station and ask them to read this, they will still come out on the side of the motorcycle! so its not really making excuses its accepting reality.

Or go to court and have the motorcyclist fined 1500 Baht!!

The Motorcycle Rider is clearly at fault - Undertaking on a Single Lane road. 

The road surface is also too poor to undertake. 

I don't see that the pickup did anything wrong by turning left. He 'may' not have used his indicators, but the motorcyclist 'may' not have noticed. 

Equally so, as some have suggested the Pickup 'could' have stopped to check his blind spot before making the left turn, but the bike 'could' have gone in to the back of him. Then perhaps people may be accusing the Pickup of stopping in the middle of the road for no reason causing an accident. 

In short - the Motorcyclist was not riding legally or safely and is solely responsible for the accident, he should me made to pay for damages to the pickup truck. 

26 minutes ago, CGW said:

Why would the Police side with the Motorcycle which as broken the law and caused the accident ?

This doesn't seem much of a reality to me. 

The Police May 'attempt' to take the path of least resistance and attempt to blame the Pickup Driver because he may be perceived to have more money - this is the norm and many Drivers (Thai or Western) may simply give in here for the sake of simplicity. However, as soon as the Pickup Driver can quote the law and the Motorcycle is seen to have broken the law on the video it is likely Police will take the next 'path of least resistance' and simply suggest a 50:50 blame. 

Some will suggest the 'farang is always wrong' but this really isn't my experience in Thailand, some simply misinterpret the actions of the police in attempting to find the quickest and simplest solution regardless of legality and rights and wrongs so they can get back to doing nothing. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

... in Thailand, all road rules are advisory only...

Correct, but don't forget

2 hours ago, webfact said:

...the foreigner didn't turn up to a meeting to sort out the matter.

...that ignoring the post-accident "standard operating procedures" is also entirely, 'Up to you.'

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

...he was told by the police when he was summoned that motorcyclists always have right of way and it is perfectly legal to undertake a car that is signaling to turn left (or right).

I wasn't there at the time of the accident but I went with him to the police station and  was present when the translator explained this to us.

Sounds like the Nongprue police station post-accident "standard operating procedures" to me. This non-accident falls under their jurisdiction so not surprised the shockingly arrogant and obviously dangerous foreign pickup driver chose to stay home with his wallet.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What is it with westerners and the need for gigantic pick-up trucks. 

It looks like a standard Mazda BT50 pickup to me. Nothing gigantic there. Same size as my 'sports lorry'.

1 hour ago, lust said:

I’m a motorcycle rider and I’d say that motorcycle is 100% at fault. 

Absofrigginlutely! Good call sir. Long may you ride safely.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, people dont seem to realise that its the law for bikes to travel to the left, you can get a ticket for not doing so. Indicator or no indicator, you dont turn left across the path of a bike travelling were it is legally supposed to be travelling.

And the police will enforce the bikes right of way every time.

I've been stopped many times for not driving lept. When i tell the police that it's very dangerous to keep lept because of the motocycles driving against traffic and taxi's cutting me off they let me go.

I also had to pay fines for it though.

One of my pesthates in Thailand is cars which don't use their indicators properly.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

He tried to shoot on the inside when the pick up was clearly turning in, should have slowed down, his own fault.

In the car with my wife and some <deleted> on a bike cut across us to get to a right-hand turn while we going straight no time to brake and he missed us by I would say less than 10mm

If you'd have opened the door you probably could have got him.

I'm in the Left lane, then I gutter crawl, leaving no space for any motorcycle to even begin contemplating for...

... but, only move over to comply with minimum clearance when overtaking a bicycle.

In a two lane carriageway, stay as close to the lane-divider line as possible, to again leave no potential lane-splitting avenue space

The same exact thing happened to me just last month... i indicated to turn left, slowed to nearly a stop and began my turn. 3 girls, no helmets or driver's license passed me on the left. They hit me. All 3 pretty badly injured as they weren't wearing helmets and hit a telephone pole. CCTV showsI indicated. And... still my fault. I refused to sign the cops statement. Still had to pay... stupid <deleted> Thai ppl! All of them...

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

I've been stopped many times for not driving lept. When i tell the police that it's very dangerous to keep lept because of the motocycles driving against traffic and taxi's cutting me off they let me go.

I also had to pay fines for it though.

One of my pesthates in Thailand is cars which don't use their indicators properly.

There should be more indicators on cars, Left and right, I am on the phone, I dont have insurance, I may have been drinking etc

1 minute ago, jwalt421 said:

The same exact thing happened to me just last month... i indicated to turn left, slowed to nearly a stop and began my turn. 3 girls, no helmets or driver's license passed me on the left. They hit me. All 3 pretty badly injured as they weren't wearing helmets and hit a telephone pole. CCTV showsI indicated. And... still my fault. I refused to sign the cops statement. Still had to pay... stupid <deleted> Thai ppl! All of them...

Yes, thats the reality of it. Its no use quoting the traffic act or giving opinions on who is in the wrong etc. There is the law as practised here, and its in favour of the bike travelling on the inside, and the car gives way.

Archived