Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, people dont seem to realise that its the law for bikes to travel to the left, you can get a ticket for not doing so. Indicator or no indicator, you dont turn left across the path of a bike travelling were it is legally supposed to be travelling.

And the police will enforce the bikes right of way every time.

actually that is wrong, just like in the west - overtaking should be on the right, now try and figure that into your equation 

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LennyW said:

This would suggest the bike rider is in the wrong.....

The Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, Section 44 clearly states:
When overtaking, the driver shall overtake on the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side 
lane promptly. 
Section 45 further states: 
No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless: 
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn 
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

100% correct as stated in my two earlier posts

What more is there left to say when the laws are perfectly clear, the bike was in the wrong regardless of the truck indicating or not. Even if indicators were not used it is still the most stupid way to ride and without doubt the rider will have had this accident at some other time in his life if not on that particular day. When the laws are this clear as already posted and to be then told no, you are in the wrong? The only outcome that this is leading to is a payout
Another shameful display of incompetence and a lack of enforcing already in place existing laws and regulations, what chance do you stand here...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Please go to the police station and ask them to read this, they will still come out on the side of the motorcycle! so its not really making excuses its accepting reality.

you are assuming that the police know the law and also when dealing with a farang they make the rules up

as I said earlier - the only possible thing this farang did wrong was not indicating and that is not easy to see in the short video

as stated many times on this thread already, the bike rider just blasted up the inside of a vehicle that was slowing down and almost stopped - indicators or not it was a highly stupid thing to do

Undertaking isnt allowed, also in Thailand, but this doesnt mean the driver of the pick up doesnt have to make sure it is safe to make his intended move by checking mirror and (if his age permits it of course) look over his shoulder first.

Unlike many other cases this is not a matter of falang to blame because he is falang. 

Any driver causing an accident like this is to blame, just a bit less fuss when the driver is Thai, that's all.

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

100% correct as stated in my two earlier posts

trouble is that '44' is only dealing with a road having no lane markings.

Sect 46 has an interesting point: in that the motorcycle shouldn't even go there, as it would all be happening closer than 30m to the upcoming intersection.

As far as I am concerned - Undertaking is simply the another version of Overtaking, but the same tratment should apply:

image.png.14fb5c92b8ef37db96227039af447336.png

2 minutes ago, HanSRT10 said:

Undertaking isnt allowed, also in Thailand, but this doesnt mean the driver of the pick up doesnt have to make sure it is safe to make his intended move by checking mirror and (if his age permits it of course) look over his shoulder first.

Unlike many other cases this is not a matter of falang to blame because he is falang. 

Any driver causing an accident like this is to blame, just a bit less fuss when the driver is Thai, that's all.

So a little bit like I mentioned prior

Scenario (actually happens) 

Whilst turning out of Moo Baan am I expected to constantly look left whilst I should be looking right to turn left

To my realisation I now know I need to since on a couple of times I've pulled out to see a bike coming up the wrong side of the rd

The assumption of 'not indicating' all comes from the 'witness' not seeing the light blinking

If I had some sort of accident,

then the very first thing I'd do is to OFF the Ignition,

which in itself OFFs the Blinker

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

actually that is wrong, just like in the west - overtaking should be on the right, now try and figure that into your equation 

Yes, of course its wrong as per the traffic act. There is the law as written and the law as practised/enforced. Its better to be aware of how the law is practised and enforced here. 

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

This would suggest the bike rider is in the wrong.....

The Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522, Section 44 clearly states:
When overtaking, the driver shall overtake on the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side 
lane promptly. 
Section 45 further states: 
No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless: 
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn 
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

actually regarding the law you posted, it is b.  which comes into play here - all thai roads have an "invisible" or visible bike lane at their left side.  So it is ALWAYS b. !!  

A one-lane road always includes a - visible or not - bike lane.

A car driver in Thailand knows that motorcyclists will undertake them on the left side because they are supposed to do so.  When on the road, I can watch this situation time and over, and a farang driving in Thailand should adept to this practise 

25 minutes ago, jwalt421 said:

The same exact thing happened to me just last month... i indicated to turn left, slowed to nearly a stop and began my turn. 3 girls, no helmets or driver's license passed me on the left. They hit me. All 3 pretty badly injured as they weren't wearing helmets and hit a telephone pole. CCTV showsI indicated. And... still my fault. I refused to sign the cops statement. Still had to pay... stupid <deleted> Thai ppl! All of them...

You must have another western driverslicense than me.

When in a car and willing to turn left you have to look 1-rearmirror 2-left mirror, 3- over left shoulder, start indicating left, slowly move to the most left space on the road and make the left turn.

You have to move to the most left space so no motobike can crawl into that space.

That's how i was taught to drive.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, of course its wrong as per the traffic act. There is the law as written and the law as practised/enforced. Its better to be aware of how the law is practised and enforced here. 

yes I agree but it doesn't make it right and also highlights the overall problem on Thai roads were the law is simply ignored by everyone including the police who may or may not know traffic law, and the result is -

exactly why Thailand now has the "worst" road safety record on the planet - how's that for a HUB

6 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

actually regarding the law you posted, it is b.  which comes into play here - all thai roads have an "invisible" or visible bike lane at their left side.  So it is ALWAYS b. !!  

A one-lane road always includes a - visible or not - bike lane.

A car driver in Thailand knows that motorcyclists will undertake them on the left side because they are supposed to do so.  When on the road, I can watch this situation time and over, and a farang driving in Thailand should adept to this practise 

not being funny here and no insult intended .......................... but stop posting incorrect information

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There should be more indicators on cars, Left and right, I am on the phone, I dont have insurance, I may have been drinking etc

Even left and right is faaaar to difficult for must dumb Thai drivers...

No wonder they have the most killed in traffic motobike-drivers....it's the cars who just don't give a duck about any rule and sure not about motobikedrivers...when i drive the scooter they think i'm a Thai and just cut me off ALL THE TIME...

This morning there was a car infront of me with a burning cigarette out of the window all the time...when i flashed my headlight very close in their rearmirror they just moved to the middle lane to smoke there and drive very slow (causing congestion).

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I would suggest you rather watch how Thais practise the road laws and "do as the Romans do when in Rome". as it is the survival code on these roads.

The matter on how their road laws are enforced should not be questioned by you

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

Even left and right is faaaar to difficult for must dumb Thai drivers...

No wonder they have the most killed in traffic motobike-drivers....it's the cars who just don't give a duck about any rule and sure not about motobikedrivers...when i drive the scooter they think i'm a Thai and just cut me off ALL THE TIME...

This morning there was a car infront of me with a burning cigarette out of the window all the time...when i flashed my headlight very close in their rearmirror they just moved to the middle lane to smoke there and drive very slow (causing congestion).

what part of "NO" overtaking on the "LEFT" don't you understand, very basic and simple, not complicated at all to most people`

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

not being funny here and no insult intended .......................... but stop posting incorrect information

fact is . . . . ALL Thais I have asked whose fault it is after watching the video (without me telling them that the driver is a farang!) said 100% the pickup drivers fault.

He is supposed to stop, look over his shoulder make sure there is nobody approaching and nobody in the dead angle of the left mirror, before turning

That's how they apply their road law - there is a bike lane at the left of EVERY road and motorcycles are supposed to drive at the left side AND will for sure undertake every car

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What is it with westerners and the need for gigantic pick-up trucks. 

A common accident in Thailand given that motorbikes are supposed to travel to the left. As a car driver in Thailand its one of the first things you pick up, check that blind spot for bikes. A lot of Thais will come to a stop, check, then turn left.

If you are going to drive a gigantic pick-up, just to go to BigC once a week, be proactive and realise you are sharing the road with hundreds of small motorbikes.

its simple really, trucks are taxed differently, and locally assembled. you get more vehicle for your money when you buy a pickup.

People should not stick up for riders like this guy.

He thinks,  his in the right,  His a very dangerous rider.

He was prepared to pass a vehicle on the inside at a high speed,  very dangerous rider.

He is still out there today,  and will be doing the same style of dangerous riding.

it's people like this, that cause accidents and can ultimately,  cause the death of other riders and pedestrians, your Children, wives, G/f and family need protecting for these idiots.

Fine him 25,000 for dangerous riding plus an extra 5000 for making stupid clip.

also should Wai 10 times to the Falang and pay for and repair to the guys truck.. :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

People should not stick up for riders like this guy.

He thinks,  his in the right,  His very dangerous rider.

He was prepared to pass a vehicle on the inside at a high speed,  very dangerous rider.

He is still out there today,  and will be doing the same style of dangerous riding.

it's people like this, that cause accidents and can ultimately,  cause the death of other riders and pedestrians, your Children, wives, G/f and family need protecting for these idiots.

Fine him 25,000 for dangerous riding plus an extra 5000 for making stupid clip.

also should Whai 10 times to the Falang and pay for and repair to the guys truck.. :thumbsup:

this is correct in every aspect, but . . . . . . . . . 

This is Thailand and the place is full of full-speed idiots on motorbikes like him, and these millions do this sort of thing every day

Myself I have -being the pickup driver - been in this situation many many times yet, nothing new about it !

As a farang driving here you should know what to expect, and for a thai on a motosai it is absolutely normal to undertake a slower or slowed down car, so please look, look again and expect the unexpected

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

How about applying the standard procedure used for locals...?

You mean....driver flee's the scene?

That, or pulls out a machete before getting back into the School Bus and driving the kids home. 

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I drive a car and a motorbike.

A car driver should understand that a little mistake can easily kill a motorbike driver.

A motorbike driver should understand that many idiots are driving cars.

true

and I would like to point out, that INDICATING does NOT give anyone the RIGHT TO TURN . . . just showing your intention and you STILL have to yield for oncoming traffic

This is commonly misunderstood in most western countries, as it seems.

so, actually all these comments here about that if the pickup driver had indicated he would be free of guilt, are wrong. Indicating does not automatically give you the right to turn

31 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

fact is . . . . ALL Thais I have asked whose fault it is after watching the video (without me telling them that the driver is a farang!) said 100% the pickup drivers fault.

He is supposed to stop, look over his shoulder make sure there is nobody approaching and nobody in the dead angle of the left mirror, before turning

That's how they apply their road law - there is a bike lane at the left of EVERY road and motorcycles are supposed to drive at the left side AND will for sure undertake every car

It doesn't matter what Thais think, it is about what the road traffic law says, exactly why there are so many accidents here because Thais don't want to follow the law and police don't want to enforce it

what if you've come to a Stop before the intersection,

you're in Left lane near the gutter;

and  mrs passenger opens her Left door to get out to step into the gutter to the path...

...and would they say the motorcycle is getting 'doored' by your passenger?

What if a passenger is alighting a Bus, and is collected by same gutter crawling biker?

I haven't found the Section#** yet for that one!

11 minutes ago, smedly said:

. . . . . it is about what the road traffic law says,  . . . . . . 

the Thai law clearly is allowing motorcycles to undertake a car on the left side

this happens every day in Thailand according to the law

it is what the bike lanes are for . . . . . 

I agree that this speedy idiot was riding carelessly & too fast and probably daydreaming, but

the LAW says he can do so

. . just ask ANY policeman. . . they will tell you the exactly same

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

what if you've come to a Stop before the intersection,

you're in Left lane near the gutter;

and  mrs passenger opens her Left door to get out to step into the gutter to the path...

...and would they say the motorcycle is getting 'doored' by your passenger?

What if a passenger is alighting a Bus, and is collected by same gutter crawling biker?

I haven't found the Section#** yet for that one!

I think you might find there is due to there being a minimum distance to the curb a vehicle must park or stop

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Motorcycle Rider is clearly at fault - Undertaking on a Single Lane road. 

The road surface is also too poor to undertake. 

I don't see that the pickup did anything wrong by turning left. He 'may' not have used his indicators, but the motorcyclist 'may' not have noticed. 

Equally so, as some have suggested the Pickup 'could' have stopped to check his blind spot before making the left turn, but the bike 'could' have gone in to the back of him. Then perhaps people may be accusing the Pickup of stopping in the middle of the road for no reason causing an accident. 

In short - the Motorcyclist was not riding legally or safely and is solely responsible for the accident, he should me made to pay for damages to the pickup truck. 

"I don't see that the pickup did anything wrong by turning left", apart from hitting a motorcycle he didn't look out for that is!

38 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

I would suggest you rather watch how Thais practise the road laws and "do as the Romans do when in Rome". as it is the survival code on these roads.

The matter on how their road laws are enforced should not be questioned by you

well you have a scenario of some people following the law and some not, that then results in tragedy.

I'll give you fine example of this in practise

Pedestrian crossings on beach road Pattaya.

- To anyone following the road traffic act a red light should mean stop, but if a person stops on a red they run the risk of being rear ended by someone who ignores the law - the result is an accident and if you are on a motorbike could be fatal

- a driver also runs the risk of killing someone on the crossing if they refuse to stop on a red

This is all because the police either

- refuse to enforce the law

- don't know the law

- or make it up as they go

or all of the above

Again why Thailand has the worst road safety and accident record in the world today 

Archived