Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

3 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

the Thai law clearly is allowing motorcycles to undertake a car on the left side

this happens every day in Thailand according to the law

it is what the bike lanes are for . . . . . 

I agree that this speedy idiot was riding carelessly & too fast and probably daydreaming, but

the LAW says he can do so

. . just ask ANY policeman. . . they will tell you the exactly same

That is wrong, the law is as it is written not what a police man tells you but yes we are in Thailand - see my above post

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, smedly said:

It doesn't matter what Thais think, it is about what the road traffic law says, exactly why there are so many accidents here because Thais don't want to follow the law and police don't want to enforce it

No, I think it is fate that there are so many accidents.:sleep:

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

well you have a scenario of some people following the law and some not, that then results in tragedy.

I'll give you fine example of this in practise

Pedestrian crossings on beach road Pattaya.

- To anyone following the road traffic act a red light should mean stop, but if a person stops on a red they run the risk of being rear ended by someone who ignores the law - the result is an accident and if you are on a motorbike could be fatal

- a driver also runs the risk of killing someone on the crossing if they refuse to stop on a red

This is all because the police either

- refuse to enforce the law

- don't know the law

- or make it up as they go

or all of the above

Again why Thailand has the worst road safety and accident record in the world today 

umm.. because they did it the easy way, and remove the pedestrian lights?

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

well you have a scenario of some people following the law and some not, that then results in tragedy.

I'll give you fine example of this in practise

Pedestrian crossings on beach road Pattaya.

- To anyone following the road traffic act a red light should mean stop, but if a person stops on a red they run the risk of being rear ended by someone who ignores the law - the result is an accident and if you are on a motorbike could be fatal

- a driver also runs the risk of killing someone on the crossing if they refuse to stop on a red

This is all because the police either

- refuse to enforce the law

- don't know the law

- or make it up as they go

or all of the above

Again why Thailand has the worst road safety and accident record in the world today 

that's why I NEVER ever stop for a pedestrian at a zebra crossing.

If I do, then the next time this pedestrian at the zebra crossing thinks everybody will have to yield for him  . . . . . . . . and he'll walk into sure death.

I avoid to make them BELIEVE that somebody MIGHT yield for them, so I won't stop for him

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

That is wrong, the law is as it is written not what a police man tells you but yes we are in Thailand - see my above post

this is NOT wrong, this IS THE LAW

If a line separates the bike lane from the main lane, the motorcycle is allowed to undertake the car on the left side

The car is not allowed to run over across this line without ensuring that here is no oncoming traffic.

I already said -  the line is always there, visibly or invisibly all motorcyclists assume the motorbike lane exists on EVERY road.  This is what gives them the right to undertake a car on the left side

You will not find ANY policeman who will support YOUR interpretation of the law. He will point to the left side of the lane,  line or not, and say: this is lane for motorbike

40 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

true

and I would like to point out, that INDICATING does NOT give anyone the RIGHT TO TURN . . . just showing your intention and you STILL have to yield for oncoming traffic

This is commonly misunderstood in most western countries, as it seems.

so, actually all these comments here about that if the pickup driver had indicated he would be free of guilt, are wrong. Indicating does not automatically give you the right to turn

Yes, and driving/riding perfectly does not necessarily makes you safe, i learned to expect any s..t any moment, driving defensively they say..

In this case, i would fine both of them.

4 hours ago, lust said:

I’m a motorcycle rider and I’d say that motorcycle is 100% at fault. 

Maybe in your own country, but in Thailand motorbikes are allowed to undertake to the left, given that there is enough space to do so.

Well surely a case for a massive fine followed by deportation,as the falang was not driving the Thai way. On a serious note he should have indicated,but would that have prevented the accident - no, i have lost count of the number of times i have been overtaken on both sides by motorbikes when clearly indicating and starting my turn,here it is mirror-signal,mirror -mirror,start manouver,mirror -mirror cross fingers and turn.

I have been told by many times previously by thai friends that it is unwritten general etiquette for the smaller vehicle (in this case the motorbike) to give way to larger vehicles - they were always going to lose that battle - and a meeting what for? Get some cash for something that was your fault in the first place?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

- . . . . . . . no, i have lost count of the number of times i have been overtaken on both sides by motorbikes when clearly indicating and starting my turn . . . . . . 

i suggest you READ what I posted before:

INDICATING does NOT give you the RIGHT to turn !

you STILL must watch out and yield for any oncoming traffic

Motorcycle 80% at fault there.

Truck should have indicated (Which is the 20% his fault part), but this one sided video made the mistake of including a version of the clip that was more than 2s long, and so shows that the truck is clearly slowing down quite significantly so that it can turn.  The motorcycle then comes in fast on the left hand side and gets nailed by the turning vehicle.

Motorcyclist should be paying for any damage to the truck.

Ho hum

Call the insurnce man let what remains cogent of Somchai call his (555) and in the fullness of time THEY resolve it.

Whats with all the hatred of puckups..they are the obvious weapon of choice for shopping, fording the ubiquitous floods, and rolling over 'roads' that resemble no mans land on the Somme.

27 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

this is NOT wrong, this IS THE LAW

If a line separates the bike lane from the main lane, the motorcycle is allowed to undertake the car on the left side

The car is not allowed to run over across this line without ensuring that here is no oncoming traffic.

I already said -  the line is always there, visibly or invisibly all motorcyclists assume the motorbike lane exists on EVERY road.  This is what gives them the right to undertake a car on the left side

You will not find ANY policeman who will support YOUR interpretation of the law. He will point to the left side of the lane,  line or not, and say: this is lane for motorbike

honestly mate you are wrong, it is against the law to overtake on the left unless there are certain conditions, motorbikes are not exempt from this law but many think they are including some farangs , the Thai road traffic act is clear about this and it is very very simple to understand, some think there is a contradiction but there isn't

Funny how that woman ran out and saw the indicator not on.  That is certainly what I would be looking at, hmmmm.

What I do know is that when I have been the victim of an accident car on car where I was able to point out skid marks, provide an idea on velocity of car that hit me to police etc.

about 5 Thai people turned up while waiting for my insurance man on bike as I insisted it was a big deal, and no I would not let the woman forget it ( I lost because apparently I was on minor road)

these 5 people all insisted they could see the accident from where they sat.....

1 hour ago, smedly said:

you are assuming that the police know the law and also when dealing with a farang they make the rules up

as I said earlier - the only possible thing this farang did wrong was not indicating and that is not easy to see in the short video

as stated many times on this thread already, the bike rider just blasted up the inside of a vehicle that was slowing down and almost stopped - indicators or not it was a highly stupid thing to do

I'm assuming nothing! if you read the post that I replied to it clearly states that the motorcyclist was in the wrong! by the letter of the law, as you rightly point out the Police change the law to suit themselves or there 'misguided interpretation!

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

honestly mate you are wrong, it is against the law to overtake on the left unless there are certain conditions, motorbikes are not exempt from this law but many think they are including some farangs , the Thai road traffic act is clear about this and it is very very simple to understand, some think there is a contradiction but there isn't

Exactly right, i cant believe how many people on here are quite happy to believe in imaginary lines or standard misinterpretation of very clear laws just because......."that is the way it is" or "most people think that way" !!

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

I suggest you go back to the law pages and check what it says about crossing an uninterupted line drawn on the road surface.  I.e. the same line which separates the motorcycle lane from the rest of the road

matey . . . . any car before attempting to cross this line must yield . . and this also refers to traffic oncoming from the rear.

This even is law in my country .  . . . . . . (left hand driving)  if I want to make a right turn, I must yield for any pedestrians and bicycles, no matter if they approach from the rear or right across from your car's hood, and it is the law even when there is NO line drawn on the road

Thailand used the british common law in their traffic codes, so it shouldn't be much different

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What is it with westerners and the need for gigantic pick-up trucks. 

A common accident in Thailand given that motorbikes are supposed to travel to the left. As a car driver in Thailand its one of the first things you pick up, check that blind spot for bikes. A lot of Thais will come to a stop, check, then turn left.

If you are going to drive a gigantic pick-up, just to go to BigC once a week, be proactive and realise you are sharing the road with hundreds of small motorbikes.

A lot of Thai drivers stop, look, and drive?

Are you really serious?

They don't look when opening the door, they don't look when driving away from the kerb, they don't look right if they turn left when the traffic light is red........

Need I go on?

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Last year a friend of mine knocked a motorcyclist off who was undertaking him. He was doing a left turn off a main road at the time. There was no video footage of the accident but he was told by the police when he was summoned that motorcyclists always have right of way and it is perfectly legal to undertake a car that is signaling to turn left (or right).

I wasn't there at the time of the accident but I went with him to the police station and  was present when the translator explained this to us.

"and it is perfectly legal to undertake a car that is signaling to turn left (or right)."

Legal or not it is probably stupid and certainly dangerous! 

16 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

I suggest you go back to the law pages and check what it says about crossing an uninterupted line drawn on the road surface.  I.e. the same line which separates the motorcycle lane from the rest of the road

matey . . . . any car before attempting to cross this line must yield . . and this also refers to traffic oncoming from the rear.

This even is law in my country .  . . . . . . (left hand driving)  if I want to make a right turn, I must yield for any pedestrians and bicycles, no matter if they approach from the rear or right across from your car's hood, and it is the law even when there is NO line drawn on the road

Thailand used the british common law in their traffic codes, so it shouldn't be much different

oh dear, I guess we will just have to agree to differ as you are not willing to listen lol

I read traffic law as black and white with no grey - exactly what is wrong in this country and why they have the worst road safety record in the world today, it is rather unfortunate that people like you who should know better add to the confusion

don't bother to reply as we have both made our positions on this very clear 

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I would suggest you rather watch how Thais practise the road laws and "do as the Romans do when in Rome". as it is the survival code on these roads.

The matter on how their road laws are enforced should not be questioned by you

Do as the Roman's do, like the good doctor 

Run over the fella for good measure 

Archived