Broke American Man Complains He Can’t Afford Dowry For Young Thai Girlfriend

webfact

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Im not offended at all, I just asked you a question, one that you avoided and instead you took the opportunity to proposition me, it all just might just say something about you.

No, you'll find offence wherever and now challenged have backed down as I do recall you stated that I was a repressed homosexual due to my statement that David doesn't look heterosexual.  Have a lay down.  If you can stand the heat don't talk nonsense.  The world is not out to get you and JingThing.

1 minute ago, GuiseppeD said:

No, you'll find offence wherever and now challenged have backed down as I do recall you stated that I was a repressed homosexual.  Have a lay down.  The world is not out to get you and JingThing.

I asked how you thought it might make you appear, a repressed homosexual was just an example, you might have thought you would appear as a red blooded heterosexual, for example.  So how did you think you would appear when you posted it?

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The man has obviously been weakened by poor health and unfortunate life events. I suppose he's trying to broadcast a homophobic stereotype that gay men are always weak. 

Nobody's out to get you so don't be offended and relax, Mr Jingthing.

Duh, stupid is as stupid does... has anyone ever became rich in Thailand as an honest working man?  I still live on the farang teacher salary that's never been raised more than 10 years... so he's in the wrong place in this case... I think it must be a boring day for TV in reporting...today must have not that many acts of violence, floods, suicides, all the normal day of LOS...ah someone one should do 20 year old abuse(Weinstein effect) research in Thai and shock the world... 555

3 hours ago, TVGerry said:

So stupid.

Why do these gold diggers think just because a guy is white, he'll have money? Sad to say but a lot of white trash come to Thailand! 

So for you if you have no extra money that means you are trash?? Get real bud.

3 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

''There, he met Annie, a 24-year-old bar singer who would soon be his fiancée.''

Right. Ok. 

"he went to Thailand in 2016, hoping to rebuild his life with a new romantic adventure."

Som nam na.

3 hours ago, TVGerry said:

So stupid.

Why do these gold diggers think just because a guy is white, he'll have money? Sad to say but a lot of white trash come to Thailand! 

???? huh ??? I thought the guy in the video lacked a certain intelligence.. naive perhaps.... but this comment above is far more idiotic. Someone who has fallen on hard times does not a 'trashy' person make... however, the judgment you have shown above certainly brings in to question your character TVGerry.... 

The Guy maybe naive and inexperienced in the extreme.... but why should that make him 'trash' ?....

So much of this show is staged.  As for this man.  He is by his own admission bankrupt.  Fine, that happens.  His wife got the house, his money and whatever else he alleges.  Now, he never says what he does for a living.   He is living temporarily with that friend of his.  Fine.  Nice that he has a friend, but now you want to bring over a fiancé and get married?  How could he himself pass the paperwork or requirements needed to financially support a wife in the USA?  Isn't a declaration and check of one's assets or income part of the process?   I read that the participants get paid to be on the show. That is not unexpected.  But almost everyone I have seen on the show has very suspect financial situations at best so I think there is a fair chance they are just looking at this as a way to get some cash. 

Well, I was at one time, broke, jobless and homeless, but I certainly didn't and certainly wasn't able at that time to jet off to Thailand at that time.    The show in general is crap, but does have some elements of truth about it.  I am glad when they show episodes of when an American Lady wants to bring in a foreign man, and they don't just focus on an American man bringing in a foreign lady. 

Since they never seem to mention what this guy does for a living now, or if or how he is going to make money or earn a living, never mind support a wife, I am wondering if since he had a stroke he managed to get himself on Social Security disability?

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

The dowry is a test...

The Thai bar girl etiquette and sayings book advises, ( the book to be found under the counter in an any bar), If he can not or will not stump up then he cheap charlie, move on to the next punter who looks loaded.:whistling:

Its funny because traditionally, in most countries in the past, the dowry was given by the Lady's family to the groom, to thank the man for taking the bride. Women in general were not viewed as being big bread winners or being able to contribute much.  In Thailand, so often the ladies are doing the bar girl thing, hostess, or whatever and sending money home to the non-working village parents.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Its funny because traditionally, in most countries in the past, the dowry was given by the Lady's family to the groom, to thank the man for taking the bride. Women in general were not viewed as being big bread winners or being able to contribute much.  In Thailand, so often the ladies are doing the bar girl thing, hostess, or whatever and sending money home to the non-working village parents.

the LOS dowry, has the man give it to the In-Laws,

who are supposed to be keeping it, in trust, for the bride.

Because one day she's going to need it when the usual somchai hubby runs away.

It is the bride's future insurance...

Oh so in the link the video talks about his friend having a company called Dream makers, and this guy Tobo is involved.  So he is conning his friend who has money into this fantasy venture.  Well, if Theinemen guy is a business man, he better wise up because Tobo doesn't seem to be the type of person one could count on.  

53 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

That is what dowry means, money given to the grooms family, i don't think it is to thank them but actually is ultimately intended for her as a kind of inheritance and is given to the groom symbolically as a mark of trust.  But there is also the counterpart, as in Thailand, there is the tradition of paying a bride price, this is paid to the brides family to offset their loss of labour and seems to be exclusive to places with traditionally large amounts of sustenance farmers who depended on every helping hand they had in the family.

This reads more like a “mokumentary” than a genuine documentary, as some of the comments are scripted to make it more interesting ... David is also being paid for his participation ... the “water buffalo for the parents” is a typical cliche that comes up time and again. Is that a fabrication too?

We’re all living in the age of “reality TV”, where idiocy doesn’t get in the way of your quest for stardom. Trump presidency being a case in point.

Archived