Broke American Man Complains He Can’t Afford Dowry For Young Thai Girlfriend

webfact

5 minutes ago, the guest said:

If he hasn't got money, then dump him for somebody that has. 

Neither he nor she have the Money, this must be nothing else than a good start as its said " birds of a feather flock together"...;)

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup..... average rent runs about $600-$700/month, even in New Hampshire (for those not familiar with US states NH is sort of way in the country, or at least much of it is.

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

5555555....I have no idea.  I just remembered the term "trailer park trash" from back in the day. 

5a1548d6948eb_Trailerparklife.jpg.5febacd8bb01e26b607e96eead540470.jpg

The American man agreed to a 500,000 baht , 11 baht of gold and 2 water buffalo  sin sod. 

The Thai lady is <DELETED>, tattied up and an ex bar girl.

He was working as a tour guide in Thailand  with Fantasy Thailand ( search it on youtube), a job that is reserved for Thais.  

What can possibly go wrong?

I can’t believe he cannot afford the dowry. 

He is white and American so he is lying to her.. or doesn’t love her enough.

On a side note he does realise she is not a ladyboy.. he seems to be a meat and potato man.

1 minute ago, wow64 said:

I can’t believe he cannot afford the dowry. 

He is white and American so he is lying to her.. or doesn’t love her enough.

On a side note he does realise she is not a ladyboy.. he seems to be a meat and potato man.

Are you serious? The majority of Americans are a few paychecks away from homelessness. 

What a horrible woman. "me , me, me, me, me! Yes, he love me, but.. I'm worried about me me me me me..."

He's an idiot and I don't see what there is to love in her, because his love is (from what I can glean) completely unreciprocated.

What about her?? Doesn't she have any money??

Stand there spouting about 1+1 - well then, 2 become one - club in together and enjoy each other and love each other.

Love is not love until it has passed through a storm and survives.

He's an idiot and she's a selfish entitled woman.

yuk yuk yuk all round.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm still confused. 

You say they're already married in the USA.

How the hell did she get a visa to do that in the first place?!?

I really don't get it. 

Agreed, is this just bogus?

A K1 Fiancee Visa requires that he show consistent earnings of over ~$23,000 US and/or significant assets (If I remember about 125% of poverty rate).  This guy has no job, no car, "not even a bank account" (his words), no house, and is divorced.  He's forty-eight which means he probably has support payments from his divorce.  I suppose he could get someone to sponsor him (another person with adequate assets) but OMG, this whole thing is so full of land mines it's crazy.   And what's this guy wai'ing a shop-keeper for?

This woman is a "singer at a bar" hmm....

I just love the look she gives the guy who asks: "Well, would you be willing to give me a massage at the pool" (the fellow is letting them stay at their house).  The look she gives is great, and one can just imagine her thoughts: "....happy ending?"

Well, if he did manage to get her to America she's stuck with him for at least 2 years till she gets a 10 year green card, whereupon she can say "ta, ta..."  Let's see.  $6800 for the dowry (we'll not approach the appropriateness of dowry for a bar singer...)  Maybe another $10 grand to get her to the US.  If he get's a new job he's out about $20 grand for two years or 10,000 a year.  Thus her "cost" will be about $27@day.  She's 24, plump and will likely promptly become plumper, but 'ya know, even if she ups and leaves it may well be considered cost effective.  Though I would suggest strongly to him that the two of them march promptly to the nearest place to do STD testing, just in case, mind you, that she was, at one time "more" than a mere singer.

The only real problem that I see is simple.  She does not give a *h@t about him, she's just stuck in the "USA streets paved with gold" mentality, and frankly her personality really sucks.  For me that would be the real killer.

Oh well...

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

A prenuptial agreement [even for common law] is the way to go in North America.  

Agreed, and a wise statement, but be very aware, that unless the woman has had separate legal representation that is considered adequate in the eyes of the Judge (meaning that her lawyer should have been able to discuss terms in Thai) the prenup WILL be thrown out.

Maybe I'm reading the replies wrong, but a lot of you are painting this girl in bad light. She has been absolutely fair and honest to him. She told him if he can't provide for her she'll dump him. She told him she's dirt poor. She told him why she came to Bangkok.

No one is holding a gun to "Dave's" head to marry her. It's "Dave's" choice.

But look at me commenting on a scripted tv show.

1 hour ago, MRDave said:

48 my arse! he looks well into his fifties. I'm 52, and he makes me look like a male model.

Hes a mug. Why would he marry someone so young?  He should be looking at women aged 30-35.

But you probably came to Thailand as a young hunsum man....Poor Dave on the other hand had to endure the misfortune of living in USA.

This is a ridiculous post, on so many levels. First of all financial stability is a core value in most any relationship. Only difference here, is that if it does not work out, she might not walk away with the house and all of your money. The level of emasculation that is taking place in the West is astonishing, to me. Hand over all of your assets, check your cajones at the door, and whatever you do, never challenge me on any level, or you will pay a price that no man should ever have to pay. Here, the women are comfortable being women, and seem to enjoy their men being men. Finances are always part of the deal. For most of us anyway. And yes, if you want to be with a beautiful woman, who is quite a bit younger than you, you are going to have to provide some stability, and offer some financial security. Any other interpretation is laced with at least some level of denial. Some are comfortable being with fairly unattractive older women. And kudos to them for that. But not me. It has never worked for me, on so many levels. Sin Sot is part of life here. At least when you are dealing with a woman who comes from a dirt poor family. 

The second aspect of this story is the part about the bar singer. What exactly does the mean? Is she part of a band? Or is that a somewhat vague and obtuse way of saying she is a hook who works in a bar?

Lastly, the worst part. A man who is unwilling to take his time getting to know a woman, is no man at all. So many western men have become so hungry for love, or emotionally desperate for some kindness, and TLC. And most are so desirous of being around a real woman, who knows how to act like a woman, and manifest the dignity, within femininity. So, it is easy for the con artists to take advantage of emotionally wounded men, who seem to be willing to do anything to regain a semblance of normality in their lives, with a decent woman. 

The bottom line is this. Take your time getting to know a woman here, or anywhere. Time is your ally. It is rarely their ally. They are usually trying to step up the timetable. We need to push back. We need to assert control. An environment like this allows us to do so. Take advantage of that. Be a man. Step up. Pay tribute to the gender. Refuse to lay down anymore. Refuse to be a doormat. Refuse to check your cajones at the door. Start making the decisions, and stop saying "honey what do you want?". "What will make you happy?" "Where do you want to eat?" I have so many friends, who come here, and from the very start, make the same mistakes they made back in the West. Except here, they do not need to make those mistakes. The environment does not dictate that they behave like lambs. Many do not know, or realize that, or they succumb to "force of habit". Every ship needs a captain. If the man is not willing to be the captain of the ship, the woman will take over, here in Thailand. Most women here seem to want a strong man. But, if they end up with a wimp, they will take charge. Someone has to.

Always remember, if it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are problems, or if she is a big baby, who only looks like a real woman, but in reality is a 13 year old, or if she is a con artist, if she is only in it for the money, those realizations will manifest themselves over time. Time allows clarity. Never, ever move too quickly. That is the undoing of most of these guys. Be like Bond. be a real man. Man up. Do yourself proud. 

You're wasted on here. You need a column in the Guardian.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived