Pattaya is serious! 100,000 baht fine for smoking but no jail time mentioned

webfact

8 minutes ago, slippery snake said:

Don't be silly,, this is for farangs, not Thais..   like when there was a police road block opposite where I had dinner the other night, to book bike riders not wearing a helmet..  Farangs were stopped and booked,   Thais just got waved on through.... 

No wonder they never change !!!! 

I was stopped yesterday to show my licence ( no problem ) . At the same time 2 Thais we’re getting fined for ‘ no licence and no helmet . 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A stupid idea that won't get applied accross the board. The majority of Dongtan beaches' occupants are Russian, but no signage in Russia. I would love to see someone try to get a 100 Baht fine off a Russian, never mind 100, 000.

I was in cozy beach , just today , saw about 4-5 people smoking ( I think all Russian although that obviously makes no difference )  , 2 of which went to the back of the beach , into / under the trees , which I guess is the right thing to do ? .. but the very nice Vendor guy who I always go to for my bed , he must smoke about 40 a day .... 

same in jomtien, every Russian goes to the foot path where there are buckets filled with sand.
They must have been warned.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pattaya ban will only apply to a one kilometer stretch of Jomtien known as Dongtan Beach. It will be applied to other Pattaya beaches later, said Sophon.

The government edict is that ALL beaches will come under this ban from Feb 1st.

3 hours ago, aguy30 said:

If a person (think farang) smokes a cigarette on the beach, he can get a fine of 100,000 baht.

The fine is already written in the marine law they've chosen to use.  Sensible authorities will adjust this fine.  Hua Hin has stated that the fine will be 2,000 baht in line with the fine for littering.

Thailand is again number one in the world for having the heaviest fine for smoking. If this amount of fine applies to speeding, I am confident Thailand would be struck off the number one position in the world for accidents.

100k baht fine for smoking a cigarette on the beach but it's perfectly acceptable to fire your revolver into the air at a public market in Bangkok without worrying about punishment or jumping up and down on someone's car in the middle of the highway whilst having a hissy-fit and getting away with a wai and 500 baht fine. Pfft!

Those three in the picture sure look like the Thai killjoy squad...a barrel of laughs they must be.

Smoke 'em!

What about the rats that roam Pattaya beach at night...are they protected as an endangered species?

Anyway, less people on the beach means more space for the rats!

These friendly mammals don't smoke, they save their breath for reproducing...

First, I have never been a tobacco smoker. 

With all the garbage I hear about Pattaya in this forum I have not been there in the almost 3 years I have been here and have no intetest in visiting the place

perhaps they should worry more about the brown trout sewage in the filthy water and the tons of plastic trash washing ashore before worrying about cigarette butts. Hundreds of thousands of butts is still much less than the millions of plastic bottles and bags washed on shore from rivers and canals of the country. 

With the exchange rate dropping so drastically $1=฿32.70 as compared to around ฿35 a year ago it seems the tourist industry doesn't matter to them anymore and a ฿100,000 fine for some petty infraction is  STOOOOPID!!! Don't expect to see me there any time soon. I will spend my little $$$ in Chang Rai, Chang Mai, Kanchanaburi, or Ayutthaya before visiting the south of Thailand. But I understand my money has more value in Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia anyway. 

This is a local rule, also applying to several other beaches (once) popular with foreigners. It is not, as far as I know, a law that has been passed by parliament. Therefore it is all pie in the sky. As far as I know, only the courts, under direction of laws passed by parliament, can impose fines or jail time.

Or perhaps this is Thailand where anyone can say and do as they wish, threaten and intimidate and exploit, merely by saying it's the law. When it isn't.

4 hours ago, aguy30 said:

Absolute stupidity!

If a person (think farang) smokes a cigarette on the beach, he can get a fine of 100,000 baht. This is absolutely absurd and even more so when you consider that a Thai can violently assault a farang and receive a whopping 500 baht fine and then walk away without jail time. I'm all for "no smoking" but the realistic fine should be about 1000 baht.

Seems the government is trying its best to destroy the Pattaya beaches frequented by farangs. The beaches were enjoyable more than 10 years ago. Now they are dirty, very compressed limited seating and soon no more food and beer. Doesn't anyone in charge know what beach users want?

The people in charge of Pattaya need to go to Bali (Kuta and Legian) for a few weeks and learn from them how to make a success of the beaches both daytime and also allow night time use. Bali beaches are far better that Pattaya. They might also investigate why Bali's night life is prospering while Pattaya is in a downward spiral.

On second thought these are not a reasonable suggestions as Thais already know everything and have no need to learn anything different or new from non Thais.

Absolute stupidity Absolutely agree with every point you made.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

What Thai is going to be able to cough up (pun intended) 100,000 baht fine for smoking? This outrageous fine is obviously aimed at the tourist market, as if they aren't doing enough already to deter tourists.

Obviously targetting the first time tourist visitors as once been to Pattaya you don't go back again :burp:

5 hours ago, aguy30 said:

Absolute stupidity!

If a person (think farang) smokes a cigarette on the beach, he can get a fine of 100,000 baht. This is absolutely absurd and even more so when you consider that a Thai can violently assault a farang and receive a whopping 500 baht fine and then walk away without jail time. I'm all for "no smoking" but the realistic fine should be about 1000 baht.

Seems the government is trying its best to destroy the Pattaya beaches frequented by farangs. The beaches were enjoyable more than 10 years ago. Now they are dirty, very compressed limited seating and soon no more food and beer. Doesn't anyone in charge know what beach users want?

The people in charge of Pattaya need to go to Bali (Kuta and Legian) for a few weeks and learn from them how to make a success of the beaches both daytime and also allow night time use. Bali beaches are far better that Pattaya. They might also investigate why Bali's night life is prospering while Pattaya is in a downward spiral.

On second thought these are not a reasonable suggestions as Thais already know everything and have no need to learn anything different or new from non Thais.

Well said, these people are total and absolute idiots when it comes to using brains

Once again, a Stupidity Tax.  ?

"I'll never get addicted.  I can quit any time I want.  Those doctors and scientists are wrong, smoking doesn't give you cancer.  I know it says no smoking, but what's the harm in only one?  What Officer?  What's this 100,000B ticket for?  Why, why, why...this is OUTRAGEOUS" ?????????

So what happens if a foreigner is standing on the beach having a smoke and one of these turkeys in their powder-blue jackets comes up holding the sign and says you have to pay 100,000 Bt. And the foreigner tells him/her to sod off and walks away. What they gonna do? Wrestle the foreigner to the ground? Shoot him in the back? 

50 minutes ago, TSF said:

So what happens if a foreigner is standing on the beach having a smoke and one of these turkeys in their powder-blue jackets comes up holding the sign and says you have to pay 100,000 Bt. And the foreigner tells him/her to sod off and walks away. What they gonna do? Wrestle the foreigner to the ground? Shoot him in the back? 

Don't worry we can track him down! We can all help by taking photographs or following the person.

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

I wonder what happens when people refuse to pay? I'm no smoker but no frigging way I would pay that on principle.

Best go to jail and upon release hit up all the talk shows, newspapers, write a book and Register on locked up abroad

could be some good money to be made

90 % of people do not smoke. We support this law for our health and ours kids health.

2 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Obviously targetting the first time tourist visitors as once been to Pattaya you don't go back again :burp:

Wrong. We revisit Pattaya  then come to live here. 90% of people do not smoke. I never go to bars where smoking is allowed indoors. Smokers are a tiny minority of selfish damaged people who quite literally- stink and make everything and everybody around them smell too.

Archived