BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bartpix

ESRI Thailand Map on US or UK Drivesmart Unit

Can anyone tell me if the ESRI Thailand Map can be loaded on a new Garmin Drivesmart unit from either the UK or US?

Or does the firmware have to be changed?

When you say "does the firmware need to be changed", do you mean because of the copyright protection on newer devices or the Asian maps on non-Asian devices issue?

In order to see "Lane Assist" on my older US Garmin, I had to load "MalSing" firmware as it did not appear with the original US firmware. Something to do with the ESRI restrictions on map setup.

OK thanks. Some of the latest Garmins have additional copyright protection so that the firmware needs to be patched in order to load some maps (incl the ESRI Thai map). I thought you might have meant that.

There are utilities floating around that will unlock the JCV (Junction View) files so that they can be used on non-Asian firmware devices. I have had them working successfully on a couple of models. However I tried it with an LMT50 and though it appeared to work initially the JCV files caused random reboots.

I'm not sure it is possible to change the firmware on newer devices the way it was with earlier (Nuvi?) models.