Frenchman with no money and Thai wife in apparent suicide pact in Uthai Thani

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Zikomat said:

He killed himself because he had no money left and , possibly, had mental issues. She did it only because she was his wife. She was obviously nuts.

Nuts meaning she had mental health issues as well?

1 minute ago, digibum said:

Granted, but his note did not say, "Because I am terminally ill," it said that he father had not sent money.  If one were of sound mind and facing terminal illness they would have made a point of that so as to explain why they chose this solution rather than endure the pain of the dying process.  

I cannot say that they took a "courageous" decision.  Often suicide is a solution that seems better than other alternatives.  Like the stock broker who jumps to their death rather than be broke or the husband who blows his brains out rather than face life alone after a divorce.  The vast majority of suicides are people who are suffering from depression.  The illogical decision of a person suffering from a psychological condition (i.e. depression) is not courageous.  It's a symptom of a mental illness.  

It's not 'illogical' and many who suffer from all sorts of conditions, mental or physical, decide to take their own lives and those who do not currently suffer often say "it's illogical or they were mentally sick" because they cannot conceive, in their current condition, why anyone would not choose 'life'.

This is 'courageous' because they did it together and their love was bigger than the fear. I, we, do not know the ins and outs of their circumstance nor will we ever know. Their letters make it clear that they chose together and, although we don't understand it, this is THEIR choice and I respect that choice.

2 minutes ago, binjalin said:

It's not 'illogical' and many who suffer from all sorts of conditions, mental or physical, decide to take their own lives and those who do not currently suffer often say "it's illogical or they were mentally sick" because they cannot conceive, in their current condition, why anyone would not choose 'life'.

This is 'courageous' because they did it together and their love was bigger than the fear. I, we, do not know the ins and outs of their circumstance nor will we ever know. Their letters make it clear that they chose together and, although we don't understand it, this is THEIR choice and I respect that choice.

As sad as it is, yes their choice. 

7 hours ago, binjalin said:

We do not know the full circumstances and it is too easy to sit there and criticize this couple. For all we know he had money lodged with his father and an arrangement to send regularly. We don't know.

Sometimes the stress and desolation of life becomes too much and people want to leave. It is up to them and this couple obviously loved each other dearly. May they both now find peace.

Well said!

When you feel down, it is some simple rules to follow:

Wanting to take your own life

This seems to have pulled the trigger...

Avoid drugs and alcohol

Try not to use drugs or alcohol in the hopes of feeling better. The feeling is usually temporary and the after effects often make the problem worse.

https://ie.reachout.com/inform-yourself/suicide-and-self-harm/wanting-to-take-your-own-life/

15 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The guy left a note saying that his family wouldn't help him out.  Did the woman leave a note saying that her family wouldn't help her out?  As for the age, at least he got to live to 46...she didn't.  Can't believe you don't get that.

She left an appointment card for a psychiatrist and they both appear to have taken her prescription of anti depressants, that really is not a hard thing to get.  Did he visit a shrink?  Did he get prescribed anti depressants?  Perhaps he needed the money to treat his wife's mental health issue.  Anyway, to assume that it is all on him is ridiculous, she was mentally unwell, well people don't commit suicide because their husband is sick and broke, mental people do, it is fair to assume neither was mentally well.  And neither got to live a long life.

7 minutes ago, binjalin said:

I can think of many reasons for a person to kill him/herself.  But it is very hard to think of the justifiable reason to make it together. Unless they are both very young and stupid or very old and tired. 

8 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

He killed himself because he had no money left and , possibly, had mental issues. She did it only because she was his wife. She was obviously nuts.

Where do you get that from?  She was visiting a psychiatrist and had anti depressants, there is no logical reason to think she only did it because she was his wife.

Just now, Zikomat said:

I can think of many reasons for a person to kill him/herself.  But it is very hard to think of the justifiable reason to make this together. Unless they are both very young and stupid or very old and tired. 

They don't need to justify what they did, even if they could. They made a mutual decision to take their own lives, whether in a sane frame of mind or not. It's done.

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Wonderful you. You have to walk in someone else's shoes before you make comparisons.

Negative.

I won’t walk in his shoes or anyone’s else’s shoes similar to his situation.

We all make decisions in life and his decisions are not ones I try to emulate.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, you said she only did it because she was his wife. If she had similar mental health issues as her husband, then her suicide is understandable.

The probability that they both had the mental illness and decided to die at the same time is quite low. As you know from multiple examples - people sometimes kill themselves because somebody persuaded them to do so. 

1 minute ago, typhoon42 said:

Negative.

I won’t walk in his shoes or anyone’s else’s shoes similar to his situation.

We all make decisions in life and his decisions are not ones I try to emulate.

No one suggests you should. Anymore than anyone should try to emulate you. It was his and her decision, we don't have to agree with it and may not understand it, but it was theirs to make.

11 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I can think of many reasons for a person to kill him/herself.  But it is very hard to think of the justifiable reason to make it together. Unless they are both very young and stupid or very old and tired. 

...it exist types like Bonnie & Clyde, Romeo & Juliet etc in all ages as it depends on the mental age...

RIP

11 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

The probability that they both had the mental illness and decided to die at the same time is quite low. As you know from multiple examples - people sometimes kill themselves because somebody persuaded them to do so. 

I suppose someone convinced her to write her heartfelt suicide letter as well?

From another website. 

The letter was dated September 5. In Thai, it stated: “I decided to kill myself with Khun David, [signed by] Saifon”.

In English, it stated: "Today, I decided to die with my wife Saifon because [neither] my mother [nor] my father want to help us. David Guffroy”.

Relatives said the woman saw a psychiatrist regularly while the Frenchman had developed depression as he had no job and his passport had expired.

I don't understand why somebody would write a letter on September, the 5th, wait 2.5 months and then blame mom and dad for the situation they were in.The truth might never be revealed.

A difficult situation for his mom and dad to live with. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand/30332401

Deathwish.jpeg

6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

From another website. 

The letter was dated September 5. In Thai, it stated: “I decided to kill myself with Khun David, [signed by] Saifon”.

In English, it stated: "Today, I decided to die with my wife Saifon because [neither] my mother [nor] my father want to help us. David Guffroy”.

Relatives said the woman saw a psychiatrist regularly while the Frenchman had developed depression as he had no job and his passport had expired.

I don't understand why somebody would write a letter on September, the 5th, wait 2.5 months and then blame mom and dad for the situation they were in.The truth might never be revealed.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/around_thailand/30332401

Deathwish.jpeg

RE -  I don't understand why somebody would write a letter on September, the 5th, wait 2.5 months and then blame mom and dad for the situation they were in.The truth might never be revealed.

Because you analyze logic which unfortunately they did not...

Just now, ttrd said:

RE -  I don't understand why somebody would write a letter on September, the 5th, wait 2.5 months and then blame mom and dad for the situation they were in.The truth might never be revealed.

Because you analyze logic which unfortunately they did not...

My apologies. You are so right, there's no logic to it. 

8 hours ago, geovalin said:

Either

1- you are right this guy is childish

2- his wife wrote this stupid note (she could probably write a few words in French).

3- he never wrote that (lost in translation problem with police or Thai reporter)

If the guy was a kind of mentally disabled person (childish for ever), French govt would have given him a pension, no need Dad.

No pension except for retirement  or social welfare if you live abroad 

Archived