Tearful Kobkarn plays up her "quality tourism" achievements as chop looms

webfact

Tearful Kobkarn plays up her "quality tourism" achievements as chop looms

4pm.jpg

Picture: INN

Minister of tourism and sports Kobkarn Watanavarangul burst into tears when reporters suggested she was facing the axe in PM Prayut's cabinet reshuffle, reported Independent News Network.

The embattled minister had just outlined all the reasons why she had done such a good job over the last three years - though she regretted that safety concerns for visitors still needed addressing.

The minister who famously said she was going to do away with the sex industry last year said that she had given the job her all saying that she had improved the image of tourism in Thailand and shown its quality to the world.

She also said she had shown the connection of tourism and sports and engaged the public and operators in a spirit of cooperation.

Though she admitted that safety was still a concern - personally, she would like to see zero accidents and no deaths of tourists.

Following her weekly briefing she burst into tears when reporters questioned her about claims that she has already cleared her desk at the ministry.

"I am happy to serve," she said, "and am thankful for the opportunity. I have given it everything I could".

She said that she hadn't cleared out her things - the car she uses on ministerial business is her own, she said.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-24

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"saying that she had improved the image of tourism in Thailand and shown its quality to the world."

A grave exaggeration. It still has, and will do for decades to come, the same old image. 

My Thai friend went to the UK about two years ago to study. She said that sometimes when she told people where she was from they'd ask about/talk about the sex industry and ladyboys, etc (don't ask me why but they did). Anyway, she said it was impolite and that people shouldn't talk about it. Right or wrong, I asked her that if a visitor comes to Thailand and sees a lot of prostitution and ladyboys, etc, should they talk about it when they go home? She said they shouldn't. 

I explained the difference in cultures. We all know about Thai culture, but in British culture, as with many cultures around the world, people will talk openly. They will criticise and mock, etc. You can't expect people to follow your rules when they go home because it benefits you. Again, right or wrong, if you want someone to think well of you, act well. I don't care about prostitution or ladyboys. People can do as they please. But if locals feel it's embarrassing and don't wanna address it, you will sometimes get a dose of the real world. You can't have you cake and eat it. 

It's like when my brother messaged my missus to ask if she could get him some fake Ray Bans. Her first reaction was, "does your brother think Thailand is just full of fake goods?". I had to tell her that I don't know what my brother thinks of Thailand. But he knows you can openly buy fake Ray Bans. If you don't want people to think you can openly buy fake Ray Bans then don't openly sell fake Ray Bans. 

It looks like back to the knitting for Kobkarn. If she is dumped the country will certainly miss her creativeness.   

Lest we Forget: Kobkarn Watanavarangul and TAT's Thai tourism attractions and hubs.

·        Durian Kit Kat tourists

·        Pokemon Go tourists

·        Rusting naval base tourists

·        Jetski tourists hub

·        Eliminate prostitution

·        Sports tourists hub

·        Medical tourists hub

·        Jewellery tourists hub

·        Pattaya good clean family tourist fun hub.

·        Target wealthy Chinese tourists who normally go to Japan

·        Target wealthy Japanese tourists who normally go to Taiwan

·        Promote 400B National Parks for tourists

·        Promote off-season tourism

·        Attract Chinese couples for marriage in Thailand

·        World film locations hub

·        Rainy season tourist programme

·        Village to the World project

·        Gastronomy tourism

·        Wedding and honeymoon hub

·        Indian Bollywood stars hub

·        Thai Sustainable Tourism in Thai Way of Life Project

·        Attract India couples for marriage in Thailand

·        Thailand Golf Paradise hub

·        Cultural world heritage development in lower northern provinces

·        Married couples hub

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

It looks like back to the knitting for Kobkarn. If she is dumped the country will certainly miss her creativeness.   

Lest we Forget: Kobkarn Watanavarangul and TAT's Thai tourism attractions and hubs.

·        Durian Kit Kat tourists

·        Pokemon Go tourists

·        Rusting naval base tourists

·        Jetski tourists hub

·        Eliminate prostitution

·        Sports tourists hub

·        Medical tourists hub

·        Jewellery tourists hub

·        Pattaya good clean family tourist fun hub.

·        Target wealthy Chinese tourists who normally go to Japan

·        Target wealthy Japanese tourists who normally go to Taiwan

·        Promote 400B National Parks for tourists

·        Promote off-season tourism

·        Attract Chinese couples for marriage in Thailand

·        World film locations hub

·        Rainy season tourist programme

·        Village to the World project

·        Gastronomy tourism

·        Wedding and honeymoon hub

·        Indian Bollywood stars hub

·        Thai Sustainable Tourism in Thai Way of Life Project

·        Attract India couples for marriage in Thailand

·        Thailand Golf Paradise hub

·        Cultural world heritage development in lower northern provinces

·        Married couples hub

Wow! After all that, I think she deserves a break!

27 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Wow! After all that, I think she deserves a break!

Nothing but buzzwords. My boss does the same thing at the work. Goes for work to Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, etc, and comes back with buzzwords. Her mostly untrained and uneducated staff do nothing but repeat the words and forget them quickly. Rinse and repeat. 

13 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Nothing but buzzwords. My boss does the same thing at the work. Goes for work to Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, etc, and comes back with buzzwords. Her mostly untrained and uneducated staff do nothing but repeat the words and forget them quickly. . Rinse and repeat

I think it's called cut and paste these days.

My Thai friend went to the UK about two years ago to study. She said that sometimes when she told people where she was from they'd ask about/talk about the sex industry and ladyboys, etc (don't ask me why but they did). Anyway, she said it was impolite and that people shouldn't talk about it. Right or wrong, I asked her that if a visitor comes to Thailand and sees a lot of prostitution and ladyboys, etc, should they talk about it when they go home? She said they shouldn't. 

I explained the difference in cultures. We all know about Thai culture, but in British culture, as with many cultures around the world, people will talk openly. They will criticise and mock, etc. You can't expect people to follow your rules when they go home because it benefits you. Again, right or wrong, if you want someone to think well of you, act well. I don't care about prostitution or ladyboys. People can do as they please. But if locals feel it's embarrassing and don't wanna address it, you will sometimes get a dose of the real world. You can't have you cake and eat it. 

It's like when my brother messaged my missus to ask if she could get him some fake Ray Bans. Her first reaction was, "does your brother think Thailand is just full of fake goods?". I had to tell her that I don't know what my brother thinks of Thailand. But he knows you can openly buy fake Ray Bans. If you don't want people to think you can openly buy fake Ray Bans then don't openly sell fake Ray Bans. 

Ha ha, luv it! I bet you weren't the top of the charts for suggesting they face reality!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The minister who famously said she was going to do away with the sex industry last year

And these women would get jobs doing what to feed their families and keep their kids in school ?  More thoughtless flapping of the gums.  Tourists flock to Thailand because of the average Thai is fun and hospitable and the costs are not high, not because of some great junta governance.  How silly. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It's called face.

Another word for lying.

And if you don't talk about it, well, it isn't there

50 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

And these women would get jobs doing what to feed their families and keep their kids in school ?  More thoughtless flapping of the gums.  Tourists flock to Thailand because of the average Thai is fun and hospitable and the costs are not high, not because of some great junta governance.  How silly. 

Not of some great government, now and in the past.

How silly to vent your frustration about a military controlled government.

But, I can only agree about all the people losing their means of earning money.

But those are only small people.

Archived