Tearful Kobkarn plays up her "quality tourism" achievements as chop looms

webfact

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the same tourism minister who suggested all tourists be tagged so authorities could track us “for our own safety”. When the PM of Thailand shoots you down for suggesting something that he thinks is ridiculous and would kill tourism you know that you’re not in the right job.

Maybe back to being a Toshiba executive again.......oh wait they’re going down the toilet too. A pattern emerging?!

This is the same tourism minister who suggested all tourists be tagged so authorities could track us “for our own safety”. When the PM of Thailand shoots you down for suggesting something that he thinks is ridiculous and would kill tourism you know that you’re not in the right job.

Maybe back to being a Toshiba executive again.......oh wait they’re going down the toilet too. A pattern emerging?!

Only half of it - Toshiba Thailand is a joint venture between her family and Toshiba Japan set up by her mother who used to run it before Kobkarn took over. Mummy came back to help when she ran into problems.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some work remains unfinished for the Thai tourism jewel :

• Punish and revoke the licences of the taxi crooks who cheat farangs on meter refusal  - 
  • enforce campaigns for the population to be hospitable and warm with tourists as they contribute substantially  - 
  • arrest all the jet ski crooks in Phuket - 
  • make ruthless enforcement against immigration officials who harass the quality expats/retirees on visa and extension issues
  • ease the visa requirements for the 50+ who meet the required amount for pensions and stop suspecting them all as illegal workers - 
  • have a police and justice system that is neutral and not always taking side of the Thai  - 
  • Stop the police from extorsion and racket against farangs on roadblocks or tea-money fines  - 
  • establish universal regulations in the Thai Consulates abroad for visa requirements and for the visa types delivered....... and more to follow in the next episode  (contd....

if not....well don't complain when tourism will dwindle in favour of Vietman, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia et al.... despite all the tourist numbers the stats  manipulate

19 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

• Punish and revoke the licences of the taxi crooks who cheat farangs on meter refusal  - 
  • enforce campaigns for the population to be hospitable and warm with tourists as they contribute substantially  - 
  • make ruthless enforcement against immigration officials who harass the quality expats/retirees on visa and extension issues
  • ease the visa requirements for the 50+ who meet the required amount for pensions and stop suspecting them all as illegal workers - 
  • have a police and justice system that is neutral and not always taking side of the Thai  - 
  • Stop the police from extorsion and racket against farangs on roadblocks or tea-money fines  - 
  • establish universal regulations in the Thai Consulates abroad for visa requirements and for the visa types delivered....... and more to follow in the next episode  (contd....

if not....well don't complain when tourism will dwindle in favour of Vietman, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia et al.... despite all the tourist numbers the stats  manipulate

They're on it, expect big changes in the not too near future.

30 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

As if the Minister of Tourism has any power to change the taxi crooks, road safety, prostitution, immigration laws, or any of the other things she gets berated for. 

I don't have a clue whether she's doing a good job, since tourism ebbs and flows due to outside factors.  Russkie tourism is down, the British pound is off, and the Chinese are feeling their newfound economic oats.  But she can't control that any more than she can control corrupt Thai cops.  And anyone who blames her for the crappy justice system (or a thousand other irritations) should probably point the finger somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

As if the Minister of Tourism has any power to change the taxi crooks, road safety, prostitution, immigration laws, or any of the other things she gets berated for. 

I don't have a clue whether she's doing a good job, since tourism ebbs and flows due to outside factors.  Russkie tourism is down, the British pound is off, and the Chinese are feeling their newfound economic oats.  But she can't control that any more than she can control corrupt Thai cops.  And anyone who blames her for the crappy justice system (or a thousand other irritations) should probably point the finger somewhere else.

Nobody can change things alone.

But maybe if she pointed out certain points "higher up"...who knows ?

No finger pointing here...my fingers are better off elsewhere :cheesy:

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Nobody can change things alone.

But maybe if she pointed out certain points "higher up"...who knows ?

Do we know she hasn't?  And hasn't been thoroughly rebuffed by those who don't want their particular gravy train derailed, and others who don't want to be taxed so Samui can afford to dig out from under millions of tons of trash, and well connected tour operators who don't want to pay for safe drivers and safer vans? 

It's not as if the TAT budget includes line items for reasonable police salaries, incinerators or any of 1000 investments that other countries have made to protect their Golden Tourist Goose. 

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Do we know she hasn't?  And hasn't been thoroughly rebuffed by those who don't want their particular gravy train derailed, and others who don't want to be taxed so Samui can afford to dig out from under millions of tons of trash, and well connected tour operators who don't want to pay for safe drivers and safer vans? 

It's not as if the TAT budget includes line items for reasonable police salaries, incinerators or any of 1000 investments that other countries have made to protect their Golden Tourist Goose. 

Never suggested she had not.

Plainly suggested the things that would be nice to change in my initial post a bit above.

10 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Never suggested she had not.

Plainly suggested the things that would be nice to change in my initial post a bit above.

Just to be clear, I wasn't aiming directly at your pretty reasonable comments.  Yours was just a convenient post to quote for the gist.  Which is that I wouldn't hold the BIB responsible if the Thailand World Cup football team doesn't make it to the finals this year.  Nor would I blame the TAT minister if traffic fatalities drive away a lot of tourists. 

Judge her on what she has control over, which is basically a marketing department and advertising budget.  I can't make chicken salad from chicken poop, no matter what magic I can work with expensive spices.  Apparently, neither can she.  Not her fault.

"Though she admitted that safety was still a concern - personally, she would like to see zero accidents and no deaths of tourists."

And I'd like Nelsons Column in my back garden made of chocolate, far more likely than the shit you mentioned

Is she being sacked or not?
The article says she tested up due to the idea. But I thought the reshuffle took place already, so was she booted? Why is it likely?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Don’t think we know yet but there appear to be major shifts going on in the background for the new Thailand - don’t forget there was talk of Prawit being dropped last week. Whatever is actually happening we will never know the details and even less be allowed to talk about it.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

My Thai friend went to the UK about two years ago to study. She said that sometimes when she told people where she was from they'd ask about/talk about the sex industry and ladyboys, etc (don't ask me why but they did). Anyway, she said it was impolite and that people shouldn't talk about it. Right or wrong, I asked her that if a visitor comes to Thailand and sees a lot of prostitution and ladyboys, etc, should they talk about it when they go home? She said they shouldn't. 

I explained the difference in cultures. We all know about Thai culture, but in British culture, as with many cultures around the world, people will talk openly. They will criticise and mock, etc. You can't expect people to follow your rules when they go home because it benefits you. Again, right or wrong, if you want someone to think well of you, act well. I don't care about prostitution or ladyboys. People can do as they please. But if locals feel it's embarrassing and don't wanna address it, you will sometimes get a dose of the real world. You can't have you cake and eat it. 

In a nutshell:

Foreigner plants themselves in another country and expresses dismay and annoyance that people of that country do not share their cultural/social norms and notions of "impolite" behaviour. 

In this particular case the "impolite" behaviour is public and free discussion concerning prostitution and a proliferation of transgenders in their home country.  It's not something that "nice" people do in their home country (in fact "nice" people do their best to look the other way) but it might have been any one of a number of behaviours that transgressed the codes of their home country.

Foreigner goes to the extreme of suggesting that the people of that country should adopt the codes of their country, which is absolutely outrageous of course.......but a not unfamiliar outline of the behaviour and attitude of uncomprehending foreigners in another country. 

Such an attitude reveals itself 1000's times every year..... right here on these pages.

It is to these pages what rice is to Thailand....a staple crop.

I going to say it whether I need to or not:  Oh, the irony.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

"tourism ebbs and flows due to outside factors"

When has TAT ever issued a report that says tourist figures have gone DOWN? I can't remember ever seeing one, yet in my neck of the woods (and apparently other tourist destinations) I don't know of ONE bar owner, hotelier or restaurant owner who can remember such low numbers of visitors. And it is not "ebb and flow" - I can see with my own eyes that there is now virtually no "high season", and on some nights the main street here is literally deserted, whereas a few years ago - even in "low season", there were always a few people about taking advantage of  cheap flights, cheap hotel rates etc.

"tourism ebbs and flows due to outside factors"

When has TAT ever issued a report that says tourist figures have gone DOWN? I can't remember ever seeing one, yet in my neck of the woods (and apparently other tourist destinations) I don't know of ONE bar owner, hotelier or restaurant owner who can remember such low numbers of visitors. And it is not "ebb and flow" - I can see with my own eyes that there is now virtually no "high season", and on some nights the main street here is literally deserted, whereas a few years ago - even in "low season", there were always a few people about taking advantage of  cheap flights, cheap hotel rates etc.

Her focus is not on the interests of small bar, hotel or restaurant owners. As she has made clear she wants to see the back of the seedier side of the Thailand tourism industry because it deters ‘quality’ tourists however to tackle those she comes up against other groupings here that have dealings in those areas.

Her main task has been promoting high-end tourism which has also been where much of the budget is dispersed. A lot of this is involved in attracting people to Bangkok where they visit shopping malls such as Siam Paragon and MBK amongst others. Five star hotels at beach locations such as Dusit Thani Hotels which host large, govt sponsored events are also a high priority along with sports tourism such as golf at Bangkok Golf Club and Riverdale in BKK or Loch Palm and Red Mountain in Phuket. Oddly enough her family appears to have a stake in all of these ventures mentioned.

19 minutes ago, Orac said:

Her focus is not on the interests of small bar, hotel or restaurant owners. As she has made clear she wants to see the back of the seedier side of the Thailand tourism industry because it deters ‘quality’ tourists however to tackle those she comes up against other groupings here that have dealings in those areas.

Her main task has been promoting high-end tourism which has also been where much of the budget is dispersed. A lot of this is involved in attracting people to Bangkok where they visit shopping malls such as Siam Paragon and MBK amongst others. Five star hotels at beach locations such as Dusit Thani Hotels which host large, govt sponsored events are also a high priority along with sports tourism such as golf at Bangkok Golf Club and Riverdale in BKK or Loch Palm and Red Mountain in Phuket. Oddly enough her family appears to have a stake in all of these ventures mentioned.

So small bars, hotels and restaurants are to be "sacrificed" in favour of 5* luxury accommodation which she and her family have stakes in?

So now I know where all those extra tourists are going!

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

So small bars, hotels and restaurants are to be "sacrificed" in favour of 5* luxury accommodation which she and her family have stakes in?

So now I know where all those extra tourists are going!

Carefull!

I never said she directly has a stake in any of them.

Good, this woman got her position for no better reason than the police rank of her husband. She has lied, cheated and brown-nosed her way through her term, and I suspect if Prayuth is getting rid of her it's because he knows the figures she has claimed are BS and he fears the public at large either knows that already or are close to realising it.

No sympathy from me. Good riddance to all parasites.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

My Thai friend went to the UK about two years ago to study. She said that sometimes when she told people where she was from they'd ask about/talk about the sex industry and ladyboys, etc (don't ask me why but they did). Anyway, she said it was impolite and that people shouldn't talk about it. Right or wrong, I asked her that if a visitor comes to Thailand and sees a lot of prostitution and ladyboys, etc, should they talk about it when they go home? She said they shouldn't. 

I explained the difference in cultures. We all know about Thai culture, but in British culture, as with many cultures around the world, people will talk openly. They will criticise and mock, etc. You can't expect people to follow your rules when they go home because it benefits you. Again, right or wrong, if you want someone to think well of you, act well. I don't care about prostitution or ladyboys. People can do as they please. But if locals feel it's embarrassing and don't wanna address it, you will sometimes get a dose of the real world. You can't have you cake and eat it. 

It's like when my brother messaged my missus to ask if she could get him some fake Ray Bans. Her first reaction was, "does your brother think Thailand is just full of fake goods?". I had to tell her that I don't know what my brother thinks of Thailand. But he knows you can openly buy fake Ray Bans. If you don't want people to think you can openly buy fake Ray Bans then don't openly sell fake Ray Bans. 

You're right. The difference in cultures is huge. The Thai culture is to proclaim Thais are superior and Thailand is the centre oif the world, and ignore any and all evidence to the contrary (of which there is a lot). This is what happens when an under-intelligent populace is subjected to merciless and sustained lies and propaganda from birth.

If you don't want people to think you're unintelligent and dishonest, then don't be unintelligent and dishonest. Be something else. As you rightly kind of said.

Archived