What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

55 minutes ago, johng said:

Well I found some at a Shell petrol
station priced @ 410 baht per liter...does it last 4 times as long as regular dino oil ?

Its much higher quality , if your in a hot climate , or using your engine hard , many say , including me , its worth it. For the first 5 years i was using Elf/Total fully synthetic 10/50. 280 Baht ?.  Now its Shell Ultra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Well I found some at a Shell petrol
station priced @ 410 baht per liter...does it last 4 times as long as [regular dino oil] ?

Maybe.

∂'ed in the ceeber at 4000 hard km & still looked honey coloured.

Convention oil turned black like at 2000.

Engine will wear less &

less friction ==> better fuel economy or power.

Flushing with diesel won't be needed.

////

[Oh !  Conventional oil is not really formed from dinosaurs,

nor ancient life forms.

They be fibbing to us.

It forms in the earth's mantle and oozes up]

Edited by papa al

On 10/8/2019 at 7:18 PM, Kwasaki said:

71772058_2423317914591423_3613859807263457280_n.jpg.d358681065cc0cbc0a43f30159f77ac7.jpg

Took bike on the truck to DLT for check, turned ignition on wouldn't start hit ignition switch with the handy screwdriver and hey-presto then the guy said mai pen rai OK, turned lights on showed all work, mai pen rai again, he only wanted engine number and vin number.

The bike was dumped for 6.1/2 years, told by some on here cannot get re-registered it's been scrapped, what a load of rubbish people post on here.

Today test as such was OK, it's insured, the book has been kept to change name & address, also for new Sukhothai number plate will get in 3 days, then we pay back road tax 7 years. ????

Got bike home and ignition switch totally knackered will not start. ????

Before you're doing anything stupid, check your fuses. If they're okay, you can take the contact part out and turn it with anything to see what's wrong. 

You might have a discharged battery only.

12.5 volts should be at your battery. Also check the cable connections. You've transported it and vibrations can cause a lot of issues. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

20 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Before you're doing anything stupid, check your fuses. If they're okay, you can take the contact part out and turn it with anything to see what's wrong. 

You might have a discharged battery only.

12.5 volts should be at your battery. Also check the cable connections. You've transported it and vibrations can cause a lot of issues. 

Thanks for input but ignition seems very worn & dirty, the first problem before taking DLT was a bad connections at the base so cleaned and resoldered all 3.

Today checked the 1 ignition wire that goes fuse box and then to a connector that ends up at ground after forming a circuit going through cooling fan & fan switch. 

The batteries new as show here already reads 13 volts.

Will look at ignition switch further but really thinking of renewing.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Will look at ignition switch further but really thinking of renewing.

On a bike getting on in years a rewire is a wise choice.

Plastic connectors get hard, not to mention that the new wire is very much higher quality than what was available back in the day.

I always use marine wire - tin coated copper conductor. No corrosion like straight copper. Suitable for wet and oily environments. Examples in the link below.

Did my whole motorhome with this - front to back and top to bottom. Excellent product.

https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire

http://www.ancorproducts.com/en

Edited by canthai55

9 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The Mekong river.

I know you were really joshin'.....

Other side of the river is Laos.

019.thumb.jpg.8488046f6a39db8718983d138499ba55.jpg

????  Yeah, me and a friend did that last year, we followed the river for a day from Nong Khai then broke off near Nakhon Pathom and headed to Khon Kaen.

45259804_10156885240575990_413437194045227008_n.jpg.b93fcf19664d8dc38e368df1b55d2a3d.jpg

It was about a 6 day trip and that trip was what made me decide CRF ain't up to it for me.

How old Is Guzzi by the way, looks good. ???? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

On a bike getting on in years a rewire is a wise choice.

Plastic connectors get hard, not to mention that the new wire is very much higher quality than what was available back in the day.

I always use marine wire - tin coated copper conductor. No corrosion like straight copper. Suitable for wet and oily environments. Examples in the link below.

Did my whole motorhome with this - front to back and top to bottom. Excellent product.

https://www.westmarine.com/primary-wire

http://www.ancorproducts.com/en

Thanks for info and I have already made enquiries for renewing the bikes harness. 
At  https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ and they recommended Kojaycat Automotive & Marine in Uk.

16 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

1989. Don't look like that from the factory....

Asked because my dad liked em, and as kid I was interested in motorcycle racing remember reading about dad's Rudge and the Moto Guzzi 500cc V8 what an achievement in those days.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, papa al said:

[Oh !  Conventional oil is not really formed from dinosaurs,

nor ancient life forms.

They be fibbing to us.

It forms in the earth's mantle and oozes up]

Interesting  but it still seems to be  a rather controversial and disputed theory..however if its true we will be able to drive/ride our "gas guzzlers" forever ????

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/102104_no_free_pt1.shtml

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

however if its true we will be able to drive/ride our "gas guzzlers" forever

Nah BP reckons 55 years and all that's left is just surface stocks, earth cannot produce oil quickly enough to keep up. 

Well I guess that if big oil says biogenic petroleum is true,

then it must be!

They would never lie just to prop up profits.

& Oh!

Titan, Jupiter's Earth-sized moon,

Has 100x more hydrocarbons than Earth.

They had lots of dinosaurs.?

But then, papa is conspiracy theorist.

[ & an aluminium airplane can knock down

a steel skyscraper which is 1000x more massive.]

Wow !

Edited by papa al
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Don't know Phits well - but here in CNX I find the bearing supply house

Give the ID OD Width, whether you want seals one or both sides - Done

Much better prices than Honda, who don't make bearings anyway, just grab their cut as it flies out the door

Cheers buddy I will go with this guy in P/lock as this workshop is the nearest type of big bike shop who knows of the legend of the CBR900RR Fireblade also it is the nearest to me, he speak some English and understands that I have a classic old bike as such so that helps I have more than just clutch bearings to sort, need carb overhaul kits, brake pads, brake hoses, tyres and maybe a front rim change from 16 to 17 which I don't wana do but finding a 130/70ZR/16 in Thailand is proving difficult.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ballpoint said:

...  I love this country.

40+ years ago in Loei, i was waved over at a checkpoint booth.  I don't think I had any paperwork other than my lifetime license. But they didn't check anything, just wanted to chat.  (Farangs were rare in those parts.) Some Indian-looking kid stopped and said it was his stolen bike.  He fussed a bit and they paid no attention to him at all.

My BKK buddy became a monk for a couple weeks.  I happened to chat with a monk at the checkpoint who had been at the same temple.  Small world.

• Like 1